Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Changing an airfoil profile

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Changing an airfoil profile

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing an airfoil profile

I don't know how accurate it is, but Wylam's drawings of the S.XIII are also in the MAN Scale Aircraft Drawings (Vol.I) book. Razor thin with a razor thin LE would be the only possible description! [:'(] It's amazing that they bothered to put lightening holes in it at all! But then, with close to 100 ribs on the two wings, I guess each one didn't need to be that strong.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. 'bout time some RCU'er built a working wind tunnel - WWI vintage design, 1/4 scale, of course. My third grader has a science fair coming up this Spring. Gives me an idea....
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
abufletcher

Too bad the whole article isn't available:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Om33920.pdf (46.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Does the SPAD have lightening holes? SPAD used a pile of ribs in their wings! My guess is Balsa USA may have cut down on the amount of ribs used in the wing, also.
The fullscale wing has a top edge "bow" and a bottom edge "bow" with connections between them (not a trusswork). The wing has little cantilevered strength. With all the wires in place and properly tuned, each wing depended on the other for rigidity.

The BUSA kit has a correct rib count. That's one of their advertising statements. I also believe that cap strips are not used.

Shoot, I'm just going to have to drag the dang thing out and look at it.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
TFF

That wind tunnel test was used on a documentary ; maybe a PBS Nova, I am not sure.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Sethhunter

Interesting - of course it's easier/cheaper to test wing sections rather than a full airframe and requires a much smaller tunnel - like the Wrights used. Here a couple "educational" windtunnels from NASA.

http://www.fi.edu/flights/first/makebigger/index.html

http://sln.fi.edu/flights/first/makesimple/index.html
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Does the SPAD have lightening holes? SPAD used a pile of ribs in their wings! My guess is Balsa USA may have cut down on the amount of ribs used in the wing, also.
The fullscale wing has a top edge ''bow'' and a bottom edge ''bow'' with connections between them (not a trusswork). The wing has little cantilevered strength. With all the wires in place and properly tuned, each wing depended on the other for rigidity.

The BUSA kit has a correct rib count. That's one of their advertising statements. I also believe that cap strips are not used.

Shoot, I'm just going to have to drag the dang thing out and look at it.
My question about the lightening holes pertains to the model, only. The best I have for scale reference is the Squadran Signals book on the SPAD. Their three view shows 22 ribs per side on the top wing, counting from the edge of the fuselage out. Obviously there are ribs in the center section I can't verify. The bottom wing shows 21 ribs, from the centerline of the wheel out. Again there are ribs in the center section I can't verify.

I'm not following what you mean by: The fullscale wing has a top edge ''bow'' and a bottom edge ''bow'' with connections between them (not a trusswork). However, I certainly agree with: "The wing has little cantilevered strength. With all the wires in place and properly tuned, each wing depended on the other for rigidity".

I've only seen a covered example of the BUSA SPAD, so cap strips may not be used.

Good luck with your endeavor and above all have fun!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Sethhunter

I've attached some pdf's I sent Ken - one shows the Gott. 303, which I used for the tip section of my Pfalz DXV and the 303 fattened to 15% for the root section. 2nd and 3rd pdf's are the front/back 303 scaled to 14" and 15" chord for Ken's airplane (I figured it's eaier to print two 8x11.5 and tape them together). Rummaging around, I also found the Gott. 381, which is a tad thinner and would be another option.
Attached Files
Ol31270.pdf (17.7 KB, 9 views)
Kf11983.pdf (6.1 KB, 6 views)
Hm24116.pdf (9.7 KB, 7 views)
Mg97251.pdf (148.9 KB, 7 views)