Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Favourite Scale Models in Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Favourite Scale Models in Flight

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:30 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Favourite Scale Models in Flight

ORIGINAL: David Bathe
Doesn't seem to bother me the the focal point is acctually the rudder!... it's just a great, well balanced pic', with marvelous colour tones, contrasts and dynamics etc.The art director approves. Sold.
I agree! I think we can blame slow AF for the "tail in focus" phenomenon (that I notice a lot in my own photos).

BTW, while I love these "high octane" close-ups, I also really appreciate the more subtle shots in which the model is just part of the total composition. The best are photos where the model and its placement in an interesting sky are inseparable.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64108.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1364779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68688.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1364780  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
mark fadely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smokin' Pitts is a great foto.Doesn't seem to bother me the the focal point is acctually the rudder!... it's just a great, well balanced pic', with marvelous colour tones, contrasts and dynamics etc.The art director approves. Sold.
Thanks David, glad you like the Pitts. I did miss the focus a bit, but like you say, I don't think the softness up front ruins the shot at least. Checked out your website too, and Wow! You've got some nice stuff in there.

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Doesn't seem to bother me the the focal point is acctually the rudder!... it's just a great, well balanced pic', with marvelous colour tones, contrasts and dynamics etc.The art director approves. Sold.
I agree! I think we can blame slow AF for the ''tail in focus'' phenomenon (that I notice a lot in my own photos).

BTW, while I love these ''high octane'' close-ups, I also really appreciate the more subtle shots in which the model is just part of the total composition. The best are photos where the model and its placement in an interesting sky are inseparable.

Thanks Abu - I know what you mean about pulling back to get some enviroment shots. I usually do mostly the in-your-face close-ups cause they exploit the equipment I use and seperate the "look" of my shots somewhat. I appreciate and enjoy the enviroment shots that include other elements besides the plane. You have some very good ones in your examples.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 AM
NeilHutch

Hi Mark,

Gotta agree with the others - great pics! I like models to be 'in yer face', too - shows some of the extra workmanship that goes into panel lines, weathering, etc

TTFN,
Neil
Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

This is truly an inspiring thread. Here’s another one of the morphed Hun and an A-10 that that is no long in service due to an unfortunate landing but the last shows the new A-10 that we just finished the paint work that will take its place this year

Name:	Ca82440.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1364839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23191.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1364840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70081.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1364841  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM
NeilHutch

Hi MM,

Great pics - look forward to seeing pics of the A-10 in the air. The A-10 isn't exactly the prettiest of aircraft - but I love it[8D]

TTFN,
Neil
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: NeilHutch
The A-10 isn't exactly the prettiest of aircraft...
It always looks like it SHOULD be a helicopter!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
mark fadely

ORIGINAL: NeilHutch

Hi Mark,

Gotta agree with the others - great pics! I like models to be 'in yer face', too - shows some of the extra workmanship that goes into panel lines, weathering, etc

TTFN,
Neil
Thanks Neil, I also saw your pictures in this thread. Nice job. There is a great display of incredible aircraft here. Here's some of a tri-plane in '09.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice thread, great photos.

Here are a few shots of my dear old Proctor Jenny. First one is original finish, then showing the recent refinish scheme, setting down in a farmer's field. Good flying model.

John

Name:	Ki18751.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1364960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58636.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1364961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40431.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1364962  
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Neil, the owner of the A-10 has had it flying already and is taking it to Florida Jets. We should be getting so good picture of it in flight then and I will post them

Abuflecture Now that say that, it does have the front view of an attack helicopter Like Neil stated, not the prettiest plane around but it sure is the meanest and paint on the boar face was a real challenge.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
mark fadely

ORIGINAL: Metalmorphous

Thanks Neil, the owner of the A-10 has had it flying already and is taking it to Florida Jets. We should be getting so good picture of it in flight then and I will post them

Abuflecture Now that say that, it does have the front view of an attack helicopter Like Neil stated, not the prettiest plane around but it sure is the meanest and paint on the boar face was a real challenge.
That landing shot of the A-10 is awesome - I saw that you used a 1D MKII and a 300mm lens - what lens was it?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
rcphotog

Just my way of paying tribute to both the builder and the photographer

I'ts a shame we aren't labeling the photos with the owner/builder and pilot. I think while we are all ogeling (some drooling) over these stunning photos, we should try to give credit to the builders as well as the photogs. Just my thoughts. I unfortunately don't know who the builder or photog is of this model or I would give them credit.
Ken.
ps; 'Metalmorphous' posted the original earlier in this thread.

Name:	Yw67719.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1365198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68194.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1365199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37679.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1365200  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
allmetal plane
My Feedback: (1)

Here is mine!!!!

Name:	Ge96414.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1365231  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
allmetal plane

This is my 1/3rd scale Zenith 801

Name:	Wu61224.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1365232  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM
abufletcher

This has always been an hotly debated issue in photography. In more object-oriented photographs, such as those "in your face" photos here showing the entire model, the viewer looks "past" the frame and the photography and is primarily conscious of "seeing the object." It's the camel story all over again. We SEE the model, not a PHOTOGRAPH of the model. While it takes great photographic skills to make these photos, the viewer often doesn't see this effort. Again, the viewer only sees the object. And he or she will likely judge what is seen not on its qualities as a photograph, but for the quality of the object. It's a great model, therefore, it's a great photograph. Or it's a lousy model so it's a lousy photograph.

As someone who's always been interested in the art of photography, I've always been more interested in the photograph itself as an object, an object that has no independent reality apart from it's 2-dimensional existence. The photo below is not of much interest as a photo of a particular helicopter. Rather it's the total experience of the photo that matters. The colors and tonalities matter as much as the objects. The choice of framing matters as much (or even more) than the objects. The choice of focal length/perspective is crucial. Even the act of taking the photo at one moment vs. another moment can be more important than the objects themselves.

And so...is credit due the photographer? Or the owner/builder of the object? Famous street photographer Gary Winogrand often had people on the street tell him: "Stop taking my picture!" to which he habitually replied: "I'm not taking YOUR picture, I'm taking MY picture!" [8D]

Name:	Tq48771.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1365267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55467.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1365268  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
hairy46

what does it weigh and what is the wing span? engine size would be nice too! Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
hairy46

John, great looking Jenny!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
mark fadely

Great points Abu. I thik to be an effective photographer you have to encompass many of the attributes you speak of. Thinking outside of our personal boxes helps us get to that point. Anyone reading this has already started thinking about their photography more. Let's keep the good discussion going.

Mark

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

This has always been an hotly debated issue in photography. In more object-oriented photographs, such as those ''in your face'' photos here showing the entire model, the viewer looks ''past'' the frame and the photography and is primarily conscious of ''seeing the object.'' It's the camel story all over again. We SEE the model, not a PHOTOGRAPH of the model. While it takes great photographic skills to make these photos, the viewer often doesn't see this effort. Again, the viewer only sees the object. And he or she will likely judge what is seen not on its qualities as a photograph, but for the quality of the object. It's a great model, therefore, it's a great photograph. Or it's a lousy model so it's a lousy photograph.

As someone who's always been interested in the art of photography, I've always been more interested in the photograph itself as an object, an object that has no independent reality apart from it's 2-dimensional existence. The photo below is not of much interest as a photo of a particular helicopter. Rather it's the total experience of the photo that matters. The colors and tonalities matter as much as the objects. The choice of framing matters as much (or even more) than the objects. The choice of focal length/perspective is crucial. Even the act of taking the photo at one moment vs. another moment can be more important than the objects themselves.

And so...is credit due the photographer? Or the owner/builder of the object? Famous street photographer Gary Winogrand often had people on the street tell him: ''Stop taking my picture!'' to which he habitually replied: ''I'm not taking YOUR picture, I'm taking MY picture!'' [8D]
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
abufletcher

And just to be clear, this isn't just about tele vs. wide-angle shots. Neil's close telephoto crop of the cockpit of Ali's Hawk starts moving towards abstraction and a focus on photography vs. object (while at the same time still giving us a good look at Ali's modeling skills). Conversely, my wide angle shot of the cockpit interior of the Bell helicopter doesn't force the viewer's attention to the art of the photography but rather (hopefully) gives the viewer the feeling of standing right there where I was. The viewer can experience the reality of this chopper interior in the same way I did. This is often what documentary photographers are after.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:46 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: rcphotog

Just my way of paying tribute to both the builder and the photographer

I'ts a shame we aren't labeling the photos with the owner/builder and pilot. I think while we are all ogeling (some drooling) over these stunning photos, we should try to give credit to the builders as well as the photogs. Just my thoughts. I unfortunately don't know who the builder or photog is of this model or I would give them credit.
Ken.
ps; 'Metalmorphous' posted the original earlier in this thread.
Throw that on up on the scale photo thread
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM
NeilHutch

Hi Guys,

Mark, love the Triplane - looks the dog's danglies - fabulous pictures, mate.

Fletch, some interesting points, again. Liked your other photography thread

Thought I'd post some airliners of a bygone age this time. Unfortuneately the Handley Page HP42 is no longer around, after a battery failure. Great shame because this was a very unusual model.

TTFN,
Neil
Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 AM
abufletcher

It's like getting a follow up report on Flying Scale Models!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken
The metal morphed F 100 is a BVM kit,Built by Bob Klenke, photographed by Uncljoe( Joe Balabon) @ Sun Valley Jet rally ,Oct 09.Owner Joe Castilao.
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Derek Micko's scratch built Hawker Hurricane photographed @ SVF phoenix,Az Uncljoe the shooter

Name:	Bz78691.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1370203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20926.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1370204  
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The firstHandley Page HP42 and DC3 take-off picture areweapons-grade Neil
Class stuff. Picture... and aircraft.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Ed

Kind of a quiz ...... I'll let you name it, and accurately describe the model yourself.

Let's see how close you can come ?

Ed

Name:	Nl29578.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1370347  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.