Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

OHIO DAWN PATROL 2010

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

OHIO DAWN PATROL 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OHIO DAWN PATROL 2010

ORIGINAL: Lucky Dog

Thanks for the kind words Paul. I really enjoy taking them.

Here's one more...for the record. ''What The Duck'' goes for a flight courtesy of Sir Percy (sort of).

Is that pilot modeled after Percy?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh! My secret is out!!

sir percy
Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
WinterHawke

Sorry for the delay in posting any pictures - been pretty frantic at work here since the ODP.

Excellent pictures from everyone so far!! I have a few pics and vids to add to the historical (hysterical?) record:

Thursday Setup

Set-up day on Thursday already looked like it needed to be on Wednesday, with all the early arrivals (pretty soon this is going to be an all-week event!!!). Several test hops on machines, including the "new and improved" wings of David Gibson's Sopwith Triplane:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rol2010007.mp4

I broke off videoing the flight when I saw a really cool photo opportunity was presenting itself:

David's Tripehound was indeed a star all weekend long!!!

Friday

The Dawn Patrol

When I got up Friday morning - no one was yet flying, but soon after, Charlie Thomas got in the First Flight with his BUSA Fokker Dr.I Triplane:

And it was already getting a bit warm!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM
WinterHawke

Sillyness the First

Friday was turning into a great day until a spat of events that were really on the silly side - fortunately, tragedy was overall kept fairly low! [sm=bananahead.gif]

It all starts when Barry Vogel prepared his GTM Fokker Dr.I for flight. I was really looking forward to seeing this one, as it had a gear reduction unit with a Zenoah G-62 installed, swinging a 32" propeller (me thinks, anyway) - and I was obtaining one of these belt drives from the maker - Justin Curtis.

However, as Even Director Paul Westrich was helping Barry prep and start the aeroplane, the sparks started to fly:

No, really - sparks DID start - Barry had apparently created a short in the aileron wiring harness when the plane was assembled, and suddenly smoke started to pour out of the cockpit!! I dropped my camera and went next store to our pit area, and grabbed Del Johnson's fire extinguisher. I then immediately gave the extinguisher to Del, and told him to hurry over (he's had recent experience with firefighting, albeit a gas grill and an aerosol can, but hey, 'sperience is 'sperience).

And good thing Del's good in a firefight, because where there's smoke, there's fire - at least boiling up around the fuel tank!!!! Barry told Del to hammer it, and Del got the flames out with a liberal dose of whatever powder comes out of one of them fire extinguishers - and very fortunately, the fire was snuffed and whatever shorted out finally gave up committing planeacide.

Barry was left with a very intact Triplane full of very fine white powder:

Which fortunately only needed a thorough leaf-blowing session to clean out, and remarkably, the plane was able to be flown later that day (with another battery pack/wiring harness/aileron harness and better assembly)!!!

Sorry no pictures of the fire - Lucky Dog was probably flying, I was scrambling around, and Rhonda was watching from next door with an "Oh My Gosh" expression on her face!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
WinterHawke

Sillyness the Second

Now while Paul Westrich was probably not a part of the above problem except in the role of relatively innocent helper, he was directly involved with the next bit of sillyness. [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=75_75.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]

The resurrection of Paul's massively over-powered Fokker Dr.I after a take-off crash down in Kentucky several week's back would have been extraordinary, except when compared to seeing his 1/2 scale Fokker D.VI also ready for flight after suffering a similar fate (memo to self - be careful at airshows in Kentucky for charities!! Around Paul and Art, anyway!!).

Richthofen is quoted as describing the Fokker Triplane as "climbing like a monkey" - well, THIS monkey has quite a bit of King Kong in him, indeed :

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rol2010039.mp4

Paul and Joe Dirr put on quite a little show later that flight doing a bit of pylon racing / high speed formation flying / SOMETHING. It was pretty wild.

And then Joe went and announced a Touch and Go . . . and Paul wasn't going to put up with THAT without first showing how it's done. All I can say about that is that Paul's triplane demonstrated it's ability to come down as fast as it could climb. Pretty spectactular cartwheel was the predictable result!!!!!

More To Follow . . . . .
Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM
WinterHawke

Sillyness the Third

Meanwhile, Del and I had been waiting for things to settle down a bit to get another flight on his recently re-engined GTM Fokker DR.I - Del had replaced the problem-plagued Roto 70 with a recently acquired Zenoah GT-80, and we had made one flight on it with this motor on Thursday evening. And we got all kinds of compliments on how the blipping noise it made occasionally sure sounded cool . . . guys, it wasn't me!! Occasionally, the motor would hesitate for just a moment - NOT a comforting feeling!!!

Anyhoo, tracked down with on-field help from the lads that Del's ignition battery was down on power. He luckily had a spare available, and replaced it in preparation for a little formation work between his triplane (with your's truly driving) and Ed Andrew's scratch-built beauty (reference Lucky Dog's fab pics on this one).

Sooo . . . I carefully taxied out and lined up for take-off, making sure not to run into Ed's triplane following behind, and then proceeding to absolutely gaff the take-off - I'd set up WAY too close to the far edge of the runway, and was WAY too concerned about that to manage the take-off run, and held the tail down too long. Knew a problem was coming right off when I saw the right wheel, then the left wheel, off the ground with the tailskid still plowing .

100% Pilot Error!! The resultant cartwheel damaged all three wings, and a little of the fuselage too at the cockpit:

Del since has fixed the lower wing and is in the process of reviewing the rest, once he gets the bake-oven he calls his workshop air conditioned!

And the day had been going so well, too!!!!

Anyhoo, Del DID get in some flying at ODP, in spite of my help, flying his very obscure Fokker V.2.5 high altitude intercepter prototype:

Obviously an intense job flying prototypes!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
WinterHawke

Sillyness the Fourth

The Mid-Air

After all of this, I was plumb wore out, and not just a little depressed. We'd also spent a fair amount Friday hacking on my Eastbourne Monoplane's electric motor/pinion gear (thanks to Del, Ed Andrews and Joe Dirr for the tools and assistance) and did finally have it debugged, I hoped, and since Ed came to Ohio to fly, he talked me into getting our planes into the air - but this time, it would be my Eastbourne and his very cool Alberto Santos-DuMont Demoiselle Hydroaeroplane:

And we had a grand flight, and the Eastbourne flew like a champ - gaining a ton of altitude. So much so that I figured I needed to get a bit lower just to monitor the motor performance (it glides like a wet clump of grass with all the rigging drag).

Meanwhile

The flying at lower altitudes sounded real intense. REAL INTENSE. I was having a little trouble sorting out what was really going on. Turns out that Contest Director Joe Westrich with his 1/3 scale GMT Fokker D.VI and Jim Suchy with his 1/4 BUSA SPAD XIII were having quite a little furball / dogfight going on, while Mike Bealmear was working out with his BUSA Fokker E.VI. THAT's why it sounded so frantic. Once my little Eastbourne got down to pattern altitude, it felt like a little rat terrier had been tossed into a stadium full of really upset Rottweilers!!!!

Anyhoo, I skidaddled as quickly as a 1913 monoplane can scurry out Stage Right, and figured all was good, when, over on Stage Left . . .

KAPOW!!!!!

You know the sound of a mid-air, particularly when you've been seen as many as I have. Didn't know who - just that I wasn't involved (yet) - so I kept skidaddling to try to make sure I stayed out of the way. Saw one plane flying in from the left, and then realized that a) it was Joe's D.VI, and b) it was hurt, and c) I was STILL in the way!!

I turned in and managed to slink out of harm's way, and then watched the drama as the D.VI, shedding parts off it's landing gear, struggled back to the runway. Joe managed to make it down okay, and once the rest of us had landed (those not already down, anyway), the story unfolded.

And as already mentioned, Joe and Jim had collided, with the SPAD's upper wing becoming part of the Fokker's landing gear (and contributing to the confetti I had seen coming from the D.VI!!).

No photo's of the in-flight chaos, as I was flying, Mike was flying, Rhonda was sick-puppy watching, and everyone else was apparently either watching or napping (and we're still sorting out what Jim's spotter was doing!!!!).

Anyhoo . . .

The follow-up papparazzi scene and photo session was sadly comical!!!

Fortunately, this took care of MOST of the Sillyness for this event . . . at least the Friday edition, anyway!!!

More to follow . . . . .
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 AM
WinterHawke

Another quick update to the recent Ohio Dawn Patrol, from Saturday July 17th morning, before the official start of flying. We were treated to one of the signature events of the ODP - the test flight of the resurrected 1/2 Scale Fokker D.VI by Paul Westrich and team - truly a remarkable effort considering the plane was almost completely demolished a mere month before ODP. The test flight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUY3yDk1Wk

Mission accomplished!

Sorry for the delay in posting - been on the road a bunch these last two weeks! Got a few more photos to sort through that I'll post as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
the WinterHawke
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: WinterHawke

Another quick update to the recent Ohio Dawn Patrol, from Saturday July 17th morning, before the official start of flying. We were treated to one of the signature events of the ODP - the test flight of the resurrected 1/2 Scale Fokker D.VI by Paul Westrich and team - truly a remarkable effort considering the plane was almost completely demolished a mere month before ODP. The test flight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUY3yDk1Wk

Mission accomplished!

Sorry for the delay in posting - been on the road a bunch these last two weeks! Got a few more photos to sort through that I'll post as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
the WinterHawke
Lee,
Thanks for the kudos...it was truly a team effort!
It was good to see you and sambo and cox at the circus....what a outstanding turn-out on Saturday!
The "raped ape" DR1 is back togeather AGAIN! ....Im going to Warbirds over the Mid West with Sammy next and I want to impress those BUSA cheese heads with one of there own!!
Maybe I will even let Mark fly it ??? Do you think he can handle that kind of power? LOL!
Thanks again for your posts......Cheers Paul
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Laserlloyd

Hay Guys,

Barry Vogel asked me to send him some photos but I don't have his email address. If anyone has his emails address and you send it to me at [email protected].

Thanks...

Lloyd...