Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

Troy Built and Tower both advertise them for now, but who knows about tomorrow.
Doc
they both are now selling Seidel's?
when did this happen?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are talking about DLE engines in a Seidel 7-70 discusion....
I believe the original content of :HELP ME DECIDES! is gone and it is more of group discusion
of current events about the discounted over-seas engine manufactures; nothing wrong with this, I am learning a lot...
But can become confusing to many, that haven't read the last few pages of posts......Jumping around to say the least...

I wish there was a magazine that was printed weekly, that talked about this inside stuff....and was reliable and up-to-date...
I would subscribe....
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: kochj

They are talking about DLE engines in a Seidel 7-70 discusion....
I believe the original content of :HELP ME DECIDES! is gone and it is more of group discusion
of current events about the discounted over-seas engine manufactures; nothing wrong with this, I am learning a lot...
But can become confusing to many, that haven't read the last few pages of posts......Jumping around to say the least...

I wish there was a magazine that was printed weekly, that talked about this inside stuff....and was reliable and up-to-date...
I would subscribe....
yep, i knew that.......geezer is a fun guy to talk to, even more fun to have some fun with.
gawd, how did we dirty this thread up with the DLE's anyways?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bad, I did it. I did it and I'm glad, BWAHHhahahahahahahahah!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
geezeraviation

Sorry, I'm getting a little loopy being ttrapped in the house because of all the unusually cold weather we're having. Shops about 40 deg right now, me and a lot of my adhesives dont care for temperatures that low. Nothing to do but read the newspaper and sit in front of the computer and wait for someone to post something, someone where it's warm-oops sorry started to slip away again. Hope this breaks before too long I keep ordering books and plans and stuff out of boredom.
Doc
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

Sorry, I'm getting a little loopy being ttrapped in the house because of all the unusually cold weather we're having. Shops about 40 deg right now, me and a lot of my adhesives dont care for temperatures that low. Nothing to do but read the newspaper and sit in front of the computer and wait for someone to post something, someone where it's warm-oops sorry started to slip away again. Hope this breaks before too long I keep ordering books and plans and stuff out of boredom.
Doc
hahahaha.........i do the same thing.......problem for me is i also start shopping for engines from the past, end up buying 1 or 2 or??

then stall a project cuz i don't have enough for a Rx or covering..................just like this thread, it's real tempting to get the Seidel
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
geezeraviation

I have an ASP 400, I hear there are potential problems but I have a little over two hours run time on it and cyl temps are well balanced and the aircraft it's on is a 1/4 Mohawk Pinto which the cyls are exposed on. Time'll tell. Any way point is thats my investment in to a radial, if I ever could buy a larger one I'd be looking at a Moki gasser.
Doc
Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM
kochj

I think that ANYONE that has purchased, or thought about purchasing a radial engine has gone threw the EXACT thought process...
ASP radial, OS radial, saito radial. That was due to the previous closely garented prices for each one.....
I saw the ASP radial as a step down from the os radial.... But the saito 325 was only 500$ more...so it used to be a NO
brainer....Now the cost went up 500$ .....I was upset that I didn't purchase one before the price increase....
Then came the 25year anniversery.. and out came the 325 saito for 1400$.... I now own one...

I am looking forward to installing it in a stagerwing beachcraft.
THe cowl is too constricted at the enterance.. so the valve covers (with or with out them), hit the cowl...

Havn't decided on how I will remidy this. but will soon...

It will be interesting to see how this UMS line of seidel engines plays out..???
If Hobbico does pick up the line, I hope it is still a good price....
I know that the DLE line is.....But that doens't reward all the other guys out there that have taken the time
to do all the background work with the DLE line, and basically be the unpaid test personell.....

Did I mention I think that Gang bangers should be looked as Hostile Terrorists???
And should fall into the same catagory as the terrorist act.???

yeehaaa....,[X(][>:]

Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: kochj

It will be interesting to see how this UMS line of seidel engines plays out..???
If Hobbico does pick up the line, I hope it is still a good price....
I know that the DLE line is.....But that doens't reward all the other guys out there that have taken the time
to do all the background work with the DLE line, and basically be the unpaid test personell.....

yeehaaa....,[X(][>:]

you hit the nail on the head.
i entered the gassers this year with my first purchase being a DLE and from Tower. i never have had an issue with Tower as they always made sure to satisfy me.
my DLE did come with a defect, and i had to write to DLE in China to get the issue resolved.
i also learned from the gas forum who was who in the gas engine arena and who did all the major footwork to guarentee the succes of DLE............sounds like those dealers will remain dealers, but if not, i know what will end up happening.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: summerwind

you hit the nail on the head.
i entered the gassers this year with my first purchase being a DLE and from Tower. i never have had an issue with Tower as they always made sure to satisfy me.
my DLE did come with a defect, and i had to write to DLE in China to get the issue resolved.
i also learned from the gas forum who was who in the gas engine arena and who did all the major footwork to guarentee the succes of DLE............sounds like those dealers will remain dealers, but if not, i know what will end up happening.

Could you send a PM telling me what the defect was, quick summation....Currious is all....
and don't want to clutter up the forum....
Perhaps you already talked about it in another post..?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM
HornetFitter
My Feedback: (2)

I picked up some E-Clips at the local (metric) motorcycle shop. They were so impressed with the engine, they did'nt even charge for them!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Remklep

I have owned a Seidel 7-70 with Seidel exhaust for almost 3 years now, it has never run.
I was thinking of putting it in a Ziroli Corsair.
Recently I discovered UMS is selling a 9 cilinder 99cc radial that would fit the Ziroli even better.

What do you guys think, should I sell the 7-70 and get the 9-99?

Danny
Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
geezeraviation

If 7 is good wouldnt 9 be better.
Doc
Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Spuetz

hello Danny,

the Corsair had an 18 cyl double Radial. So the 9 cyl of the first row would have been visible in the cowling. If the 9 cyl fits and weight is not a problem (!), why not go scale? Also you will be able to use a larger prop, which would also be more scale. Check out Solo Props and order a three-blade hub and scale blades. That would be awesome!

Cheers, Martin
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Remklep

ORIGINAL: Spuetz

hello Danny,

the Corsair had an 18 cyl double Radial. So the 9 cyl of the first row would have been visible in the cowling. If the 9 cyl fits and weight is not a problem (!), why not go scale? Also you will be able to use a larger prop, which would also be more scale. Check out Solo Props and order a three-blade hub and scale blades. That would be awesome!

Cheers, Martin
Exactly my thoughts too.
So that means I need to sell my 7-70, hopefully there is a market for it.

Danny
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Mein Duff

There is definitely a market for it on this forum, especially with the 1/4 scale WWI buffs...fits perfectly and to scale in a Sopwith or any open cowl biplane.
Is yours the Indian made UMS or an actual German Seidel?.....not that it makes a difference...just curios. Let us know when you put it up for sale !!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Remklep

Mine is a Seidel produced in India.
It says Seidel on the front though, not just UMS like the engines show now that Seidel has gone bankrupt and UMS has taken over.

One advantage for you guys in the USA would be that because I am an longhaul commercial pilot flying to the USA regularly, I could take the engine with me and ship from within the USA.
That should safe a lot of shipping costs.

Something to think about...

Danny
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Remklep

What do you guys think would be the best way to sell my Seidel 7-70 with ring exhaust?
Ebay, or here on the forum under buy and sell?

Danny
Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
geezeraviation

Whatever you do make sure you have a foolproof method of collecting, use pay pal, it covers both the seller and the buyer. There are people out there that would like to have your engine for free. I advertised an OS pegasus 3.20 here and got replies from people that joined the forum in the hours after the listing appeared most seemed to be from out of country. Be sure of who you are dealing with, dont accept personal checks and be da**ed careful of money orders. Pay pal really is the best way.
Doc
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
abufletcher

I've had good luck selling on eBay. You might want to consider selling the engine and the exhaust ring separately. BTW, is you exhaust ring the "original" Seidel version, the UMS produced version, or the one from Keleo creations?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Remklep

Hi guys,
Thanks for tips.
Paypal is the only way I accept payment, so no worries there.
I do like ebay, but the problem is when the price doesn't go up to what I am looking for, I would hate to see my seidel go for €500.

Good idea to sell the engine and exhaust seperate.
The exhaust is the original Seidel made one.

Danny
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Spuetz

Hi Danny,

you could advertise for your ebay auction: put some classifieds in model magazines and forums, announcing that this engine will be sold on ebay, starting on a specific indicated day.

i doubt that it will go for 500! It is a very rare engine! And there are enthusiasts out there. So don't worry...

Cheers, Martin
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Remklep
I do like ebay, but the problem is when the price doesn't go up to what I am looking for, I would hate to see my seidel go for €500.
Just specify a reserve amount. I do that on all high-end item sales, for example, last summer I sold a Leica camera and specified a reserve of $1100...and the camera actually went for $1,500.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
geezeraviation

What Don said set a minimum reserve that's acaceptable.
Doc
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
abufletcher

It's possible that German eBay doesn't offer the "reserve price" option, in which case, just specify an "Anfangsgebot" that would be acceptable, if it turns out to be the only bid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.