RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/4399390-glenn-torrence-gtm-1-3-scale-dr-1-build-along.html)

deljon 01-31-2011 12:14 PM

RE: Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along

INSANE you say................[sm=bananahead.gif]
Well, that pretty much varafies most others opinions............[sm=lol.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Me

Oberst 01-31-2011 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: deljon

INSANE you say................[sm=bananahead.gif]
Well, that pretty much varafies most others opinions............[sm=lol.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Me

LOL!

Pete

valleyk 02-10-2011 07:59 PM

Hi Del

I need your advice on servo torque for GTM 1/3 dr 1. Idon't want to break the bank buying expensive servos but again i don't want to underpower the flying surface either or have flutter issues. Iwas thinking of the Hitec 645mg, one for each aerolon, one for the elevator and rudder. I'm using a da 100 gasser and i was told twins have less vibration.

Thanks

deljon 02-11-2011 08:47 AM

Morning valleyk,

I don't remember off the top of my head what their torque values are.
For the ailerons I used the servos that came with the Spektrum 7 radio which are the DS821, one for each aileron.
I used two of the same servos for the rudder, I used two so I could get a scale like cable run.
For the elevator I used a Hitec HS5645 MG ultra torque.
I also used a 6 volt battery packs, 2150ma for radio and servos in the fuselage, I used a second RX in the wing and
used a 1100ma pack for it.
The advantage to the 6 volt packs is you also increase the torque of the servos, (almost double I think??).
This is working very well for me with no issues.

A 100 twin will fly it nicely, I have a GT80 on mine now. I go with the twin mainly for the sound, I don't like the
chainsaw sound that you can get from a single cyl. But that's just my preferance.............
Hope this helps and how is your build coming??

Del

Oberst 02-15-2011 12:56 PM

Del, what do you think is better for the plan and direction clarity, BUSA or GT? And would a Saito FA 150GK be able to handle a 1/4 scale GT Model? Or should I ask, was BUSA more builder friendly, or GT. I'm falling in love with the GT planes, they seem to be more correct in the scale catogory.

I have a earlier version of the DS821- the DS811, I have 9 of them and I wouldn't give them up if someone offered me $300 a piece for them. They are that good IMHO.

Pete

deljon 02-15-2011 01:29 PM

Howdy Pete,

I think they are both just fine for what they represent, the BUSA has good instructions, plans and lots of pictures.
I would say they will build faster being they are fun/sport scale, not as detailed and are designed to be user friendly.
Not as much hardware, but then their kits cost a lot less. All parts are die cut.

The GTM is precesion scale, a lot more detail in the drawings (CAD Drawn) and naturally going to take a little longer
to build, real good instructions and detail photos, all parts are well marked with their part number, even the stick stock.
Plus they have a huge hardware package. All parts are lasar cut.

There are build along threads here on RCU and RCSB with plenty of tips and how to's on both style kits.
Whick kits are you concidering??

Del

Oberst 02-15-2011 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: deljon

Howdy Pete,

I think they are both just fine for what they represent, the BUSA has good instructions, plans and lots of pictures.
I would say they will build faster being they are fun/sport scale, not as detailed and are designed to be user friendly.
Not as much hardware, but then their kits cost a lot less. All parts are die cut.

The GTM is precesion scale, a lot more detail in the drawings (CAD Drawn) and naturally going to take a little longer
to build, real good instructions and detail photos, all parts are well marked with their part number, even the stick stock.
Plus they have a huge hardware package. All parts are lasar cut.

There are build along threads here on RCU and RCSB with plenty of tips and how to's on both style kits.
Whick kits are you concidering??

Del

I like both, but I'm thinking that I have a better chance of going all out on the GT. BUSA is very nice, but I'm attracted to the GT Fokkers like a bug attracted to a light zapper.

I'm trying to figure out what is closer to scale. I haven't bult a kit since the Guillow Balsa Kits in the 80's and 90's. It might be comparing apples to oranges building these, but I believe It might not be out of my league. If the BUSA was easier, then I guess I'll go with that. If the GT and BUSA are the same ease of build, then it's going to be GT.

You told me my engine will work for the BUSA DR1 in my PM if I keep the plane a certain weight. Can I use the same for the GT Fokker?

I guess I'm asking if the GT is any lighter than BUSA's version of the DR1. Sorry about all the questions. I do a lot of planning before my next build. Kind of drives the Mrs. crazy at times if you know what I mean. LOL

Pete

Canuck1 06-14-2011 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Such an awsome thread ;)
Have read it over, and over, and over.

I am interested in doing this mount. It is a replica out of Europe. Just looking at what the exact "Blue, and Olive" streaking colours are.
Any info would be appreciated.

Craig

abufletcher 06-14-2011 09:08 PM

Isn't that the replica by Mikael Carlson (in Sweden)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf1W32vgEv8

Canuck1 06-14-2011 09:22 PM

I dont think it is the same one, I could be wrong.
The one I posted had a dark brown (olive) colour for the rudder, where as the rudder in the video is black.
Also the colour in the video seems a bit to green. I could be wrong.

Craig

abufletcher 06-14-2011 10:03 PM

I'm sure the rudder in your photos is actually black.

vertical grimmace 06-15-2011 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wing loading on all of these tripes is so low, I would not make my purchasing decision based on weight. BUSA does not have a 1/3rd scale tripe either, so any comparison between GTM and BUSA is moot really. Definately go with GTM if you want to be scale. I have had a BUSA tripe for around 8 seasons now and love it. If I were to build another one though I would want it to be more scale and would go with the GTM. Although I would build his DVII first. My version of Von Tutchek's mount at the warbirds over Denver this past weekend. DLE 30 for power.
Note the right rudder deflection. This thing was all over the place this past weekend. My landing gear had been tweaked from an incident the past weekend and she was a bear on the ground. I am completely re-constructing it this week. The landing gear is so important on these tripes.

deljon 06-16-2011 02:55 AM

Hi Caig,
Check with Glenn at GTM for color chips.
Nice scheme by the way, I did a 1/4 EV/DVIII in his colors.

Del

deljon 06-16-2011 07:13 AM

Here's the EV/DVIII, It's a 1/4 GTM low cost kit kicked up a few notches.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...V/100_1570.jpg

Del

Canuck1 07-06-2011 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info Del.
I ordered a kit last month, and it should have been shipped on the 29th of June.
Look forward to building one. I do like the 1/3 scale WW1 aircraft.
Great work on your Triplane, and this thread has been outstanding with all the detail, and construction information. :D

Craig

Canuck1 10-10-2011 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Del

Hope you dont mind me posting a few pictures of my current build.
To date, the fuse is almost complete. Waiting on the turtle deck parts to finish the fuse. The horizontal stab is done, less sanding. Rudder is complete, less sanding, and need another hinge............thin CA is hazardous with the hinges :D
Landing gear is complete, covered and painted in the streaking pattern. Cowl is rivited, painted and installed with the cable.
Bottom wing is almost completely built, need to wait for the other wings so I can properly aligh the outer struts.

Fun build...............looking forward to getting more progress, and will post more down the road.

Craig

deljon 10-11-2011 05:09 AM

Looking "Great" Craig, certainly keep us updated, new pictures always welcome.
What scheme are you doing??

Del

Canuck1 10-11-2011 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Del

Doing this mount.

Craig

deljon 10-11-2011 04:13 PM

Ok, if I would have backed up a few posts, I would seen that.....(Old Timers Desease)

I like the Jasta 6 schemes............

Del

US185Damiani 10-14-2011 06:36 AM

Craig,

The later airplanes are not Blue under the Olive color. they are streaked over the bare varnished linen.
Check out the procedure we used for the streaking on our full size 454/17 here to approximate it with modern materials.
Posted here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91..._9/key_/tm.htm

and here

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/re...-triplane.html

Sorry it looks like a lot of the pictures are missing I'll have to re-post some

Canuck1 10-14-2011 10:09 AM

US185Damiani

Thanks for the links. I have read those threads in the past. Appreciate the post.
I am doing the olive streaking over a very light tan base. The effect looks pretty good. Stole the idea from Del :D The turquoise colour is only on the bottom surfaces.
More pics to follow soon after I get more done.

Craig

US185Damiani 10-14-2011 12:15 PM

Can't wait to see it!

Make sure you make it to Golden Age for the RCMeet next year!you too Del!

deljon 10-14-2011 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: US185Damiani

Can't wait to see it!

Make sure you make it to Golden Age for the RC Meet next year! you too Del!

Where's that at Mike???

US185Damiani 10-14-2011 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Del,

Here in Bethel PA

www.goldenageair.org

deljon 10-16-2011 09:54 AM

Looks like a really nice event Mike, I'll have to add it to my "want to attend" list. Looks to
be about 9-10hrs from SW Ohio. Would be a nice long weekend event.

Del