RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Best scale photo! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/509567-best-scale-photo.html)

mark fadely 01-24-2010 07:55 PM

RE: Best scale photo!

Here's an indy helis AH-64 Apache

http://fadely.smugmug.com/photos/428695172_vAkb8-XL.jpg

abufletcher 01-24-2010 10:21 PM

That is frickin' hellacious! I'm not even particularly a heli fan, but both that model and that photo are stunning!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

mark fadely 01-24-2010 10:47 PM

Thanks - the model has won 1st place at Todedo in Scale and second place at last year's US Nats. It is kitted by Indyhelis.com - it is gorgeous in-person. The manufacturer is located near me in Indiana so I have a lot of opportunities to photograph it. This shot was taken in the fall of '08. Camera - Canon 1D MKIII, 300mm @f5.6, 1/80th, iso 50.

rcphotog 01-25-2010 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this very nice photo on the "Favourite models in flight" thread on page two post number 31 and I thought it would look neat as a "vintage" photo.

First I removed the 'model antenna' wire (non-scale size) and then (most important) cropped the 'models' shadow out and most of the foreground (which was screaming competing scales).
To help the illusion that you're looking at a full-size aircraft, you need to trick the brain in thinking that this model is huge and farther away than it really is. With the shadow in the picture your brain is conficted by the true depth of the scale. So... eliminate anything that conflicts which in this case includes those shrubs at the edge of the runway. We don't really need that portion of the photo anyway cause we intuatively know that it's landing. I prefer B&W cause it's a little easier for the brian to accept the illusion in my opinnion. But DC-3s are still flying around the world today so color is certanly appropriate just harder to be convincing,I think.
Anyway, hope you like it and maybe get a little inspired for your next scale model photo shoot;)
Ken.
ps,I hope he doesn't mind me messing with his photo. By the way, I think that this is an acceptional model of a DC-3. For ten years I performed light maintenence including washing the entire airplane (including walking the spine of the fuselage to wash the top) and doing engine runs for preflights. So I think I know DC-3s pretty well and this model is NICE.

The photo was taken by RCU member ( wings2an3 ) of Monroe, New York,USA

Tango Juliet 01-25-2010 06:03 AM

ORIGINAL: mark fadely

Thanks - the model has won 1st place at Todedo in Scale and second place at last year's US Nats. It is kitted by Indyhelis.com - it is gorgeous in-person. The manufacturer is located near me in Indiana so I have a lot of opportunities to photograph it. This shot was taken in the fall of '08. Camera - Canon 1D MKIII, 300mm @f5.6, 1/80th, iso 50.
Very worthy of any and all accolades. Likewise, I'm not an R/C Heli fan, but I am a Scale fan. I don't get the opportunity to see many Scale Heli's (although I see a lot of real ones every day at work :D). I'm hoping more Heli guy's come to "Joe Nall" this year, and I hope you're one of them ;).

(BTW, it's nice to see another Indiana boy on here. I'm from New Haven, but my Aunt and Uncle live in Fishers)

Tango Juliet 01-25-2010 06:04 AM

Very worthy of any and all accolades. Likewise, I'm not an R/C Heli fan, but I am a Scale fan. I don't get the opportunity to see many Scale Heli's (although I see a lot of real ones every day at work :D). I'm hoping more Heli guy's come to "Joe Nall" this year, and I hope you're one of them ;).

(BTW, it's nice to see another Indiana boy on here. I'm from New Haven, but my Aunt and Uncle live in Fishers)

RHVCRC 01-25-2010 12:06 PM

Crashmaster,, just wondering if you could comment on the reason the sprucegoose photos didn't fool us as we would like. It seems to me the main problem is the finish. That is why , ironically, the one that comes the closest to fooling us is the middle one because the glare off that shiny surface obscures the rest of the finish while still showing an accurate scale silhouette. You mentioned 800 to 1200 sandpaper for a more realistic look on your prop blades. Would that be a usable fix for the too shiny finish we see in a lot of scale shots. Also it seems shots of scale planes on the water is particularly difficult. In the shot of the goose, the water is obviously not deep enough to be floating a giant plane and waves , like time, are not scalable. Appreciate your input on how to make better photos, however , I'm glad your not commenting on any of mine yet. Noticed from the start of this thread you have an eye for detail. I have a brother in law who is in advertising who is just as picky and his photographers hate him but his clients love him. RH

mark fadely 01-25-2010 12:24 PM

Thanks Tango,

I wish I could make Joe Nall, but it won't be this year. I'm very much an airplane lover as well. Flew RC planes since 1973 and helis since 1996. Nice to see another Hoosier on the board. I also live in Fishers.

Mark

ORIGINAL: Tango Juliet

Very worthy of any and all accolades. Likewise, I'm not an R/C Heli fan, but I am a Scale fan. I don't get the opportunity to see many Scale Heli's (although I see a lot of real ones every day at work :D). I'm hoping more Heli guy's come to ''Joe Nall'' this year, and I hope you're one of them ;).

RodanAZ 01-29-2010 11:09 PM

This photo is certainly not that spectacular (but has that 'airshow snapshot' quality), but I'm posting it because it captures two aircraft of different scales in a perspective that works. The Mustang is actually not much smaller than the B-17, but is further away, making them appear to be 'in formation'... If the P-51 just had a 4 blade prop, it would be pretty convincing. BTW, this is from the AZ Electric Festival today...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...FB-17P-511.jpg

uncljoe 01-29-2010 11:30 PM

Good shot ! :D Looks like a great day in Mesa.
Semper Fi

abufletcher 01-30-2010 12:22 AM

ORIGINAL: RodanAZ
This photo is certainly not that spectacular (but has that 'airshow snapshot' quality), but I'm posting it because it captures two aircraft of different scales in a perspective that works. The Mustang is actually not much smaller than the B-17, but is further away, making them appear to be 'in formation'...
Perspective certainly works to an advantage here. My mind sees the Mustang (which MUST be smaller, right) flying lower and closer to the camera (and slightly ahead of the B-17).

NeilHutch 01-30-2010 06:46 AM

Hi Rodan,

Super pic, mate - like it:)

Here's the real thing - pity the British sky wasn't nice & blue like the one in your picture.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_5932es.jpg

TTFN,
Neil

abufletcher 01-30-2010 07:11 AM

Those are "scale skies" Neil!

RodanAZ 01-30-2010 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Those are ''scale skies'' Neil!
That was exactly my thought... A B-17 and P-51 probably never saw a sky that blue over Europe! :)

David Bathe 01-30-2010 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: NeilHutch

Here's the real thing -
Neil
Bugger!
I thought you'd just gone and delivered the ultimate model picture, walked of with the grand prize and closed down the thread.
<br type="_moz" />

Spuetz 01-30-2010 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

[/quote]
A B-17 and P-51 probably never saw a sky that blue over Europe! :)

[/quote]

Hi, this is not an attempt to post the best scale picture. Just to show you: This was shot over Cologne, Germany, a city that has been heavily visited by B17s ! So much for no blue skies over here! ;)

stagger123 01-30-2010 11:18 AM

thats a great pic i love it

NeilHutch 01-30-2010 07:09 PM

Hi David,

Bugger!
I thought you'd just gone and delivered the ultimate model picture, walked of with the grand prize and closed down the thread.

I was going to do some wild life photography, but the wolf was already booked:)

Back to aviation............. This really was close formation flying!
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...SallyBP-51.jpg

TTFN,
Neil

abufletcher 01-30-2010 08:49 PM

Neil, what were these planes doing at the time of the photo so that it looks like YOU are actually above them?

I was going to do some wild life photography, but the wolf was already booked:)
I say it was all done in CGI. ;)

NeilHutch 01-31-2010 04:57 AM

Hi Fletch,

The other side of Leicester, every year, there's a military show put on, called The Victory Show. It's mainly for those guys who like to dress up & drive around in tanks etc & have simulated battles. Must say, it does look bloomin' good fun! If you Google Victory Show you'll probably get a few hits. They also set a side a field for small aircraft to land - the Hurricane being one of them. This is aerial display area/ flight path call it what you will - because of the trees, opposite, the aircraft fly very close - a lot closer than at a normal air show. This is why its such a good show - not many aircraft - the quanitity more than made up for by the quality of the flying. As I said earlier the Hurricane display was the best warbird display I've ever seen!

Not wanting to upset anyone with more 1:1 scale pictures, but if you guys want more B-17, P-51's, Spitfire, Hurricane & Lancaster (as well as the Red Arrows doing a fly by - this Muppet had locked the lens & I had take th 'Reds' at long range[:o] ) I'll gladly post some more pics.

TTFN,
Neil

uncljoe 01-31-2010 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heavy Metal. Skymaster F 86 1/6.5 , Jet Cat Titan powered.
Semper Fi

RodanAZ 02-04-2010 06:21 PM

These are not aircraft, but certainly in the spirit of this thread. Maybe this will stir some creative juices for this thread.... ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2479674...th/2346008881/

SDCrashmaster 02-04-2010 10:57 PM

Wow!
Thanks for posting. If anyone has any question about what this thread should aspire to...that is it!
Simply mesmerizing.

RodanAZ 02-04-2010 11:10 PM

Just to be clear, that's not me... :)

A friend emailed me that link today, and I immediately thought of this thread! :D

Tango Juliet 02-05-2010 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Wow!
Thanks for posting. If anyone has any question about what this thread should aspire to...that is it!
Simply mesmerizing.
My thoughts exactly. I'm in awe.