RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   lets see your ww1 biplane!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/5792493-lets-see-your-ww1-biplane.html)

TFF 02-10-2013 11:35 AM

RE: lets see your ww1 biplane!!

1 Attachment(s)
I'm no photographer.

sbrackets 02-10-2013 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about a pair of Hangar 9 Fokker DVII's. Mine is on the left, or should I say your left. Doesn't really matter, there both the same.
Made three great flight's on her yesterday. What a fun plane to fly.

Jim

bhorton 02-10-2013 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here my GP DR-1 and my Balsa USA Sopwith Pup.

jwrich 02-10-2013 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I built 2 Balsa USA Sop Pup kits for me and my friend Dallas in 2008. Both are still flying and still look pretty good. They are great Sunday fyers and you won't be ashamed to take it to a Dawn Patrol event. My Pup has won 2 awards at these different Dawn Patrol so far. Here are some pictures of my Sop Pup. I'll post pictures of my other war birds soon.

Rich

allans 02-10-2013 03:26 PM

I think I know WINGS2AN3 .

His planes are beautifully built and visually stunning when seen seen in person. The size and realism is almost beyond belief. You need to keep reminding yourself that these are not full scale.

They are "magic" in the air , especially the TriPlane. You need to see them in flight , the pictures don't do them justice.

When the tri plane was brought to field to be maiden ed , everyone at the field stopped what they were doing and watch in awe as this magnificent plane flew for the first time.

I never heard 30 guys applaud so loudly when the flight over.

Wings2an3 is a special builder and treasury in RC community.

derjager 02-10-2013 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nieuport 11. Modified from Balsa USA kit

Zenoah 80 cc with Xoar Scimitar 28x6

Flown hundreds of times and a great flyer

jwrich 02-10-2013 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The German Fokker D-VII was one of my favorite airplanes of the "Great War". There are so many different color scheme to choose from for a scale project. There are several books that have the history of the pilots and their own color scheme. I elected to do my Balsa USA 1/4 scale D-VII after Oblt. Erich Lowenhardt's Fok D-VII, he was the 3rd highest scoring German Ace in WW I. The Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fok D-VII is the best flying RC airplane I have had in over 30 year of flying RC airplanes. My yellow D-VII won several awards at different events during the 2009/2010 season. The beginning of the 2011 season I attended an event and was one of the first in the air, this was just a week before "War Birds Over Texas". Well on the first flight I lost it in the morning sun, the crash was a total loss. I knew I would build another D-VII. Here are the picture of Obt. Erich Lowenhardt's Fok D VII, his yellow fuselage Fok D-VII was hard to miss,

Rich

topgun42usa 02-10-2013 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Flying D7 & D8 Balsa usa ..

jeffEE 02-10-2013 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My newest find. An Aerotec Albatros DVa kit. Very old kit but also very complete. Includes fiberglass spinner, all the wood, plans, pre-bent wires and full cockpit with working controls. It even has the metal chair built and included. Also my Balsa USA DVII and my soon to be covered Balsa USA V. 11

eindecker 3 02-10-2013 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Here is my pic of a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel it has a .46 ERC electric motor and flies very well</p>

Tmoth4 02-10-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope a lot of those models show up at the dawn patrol events this year!

Here's my current fleet of WW1 aircraft:

1) 1/3 scale Siemens-Schuckert D-III from Dave Johnson's plan,

2) Modifed BUSA 1/3 scale Nieuport 28

3) 1/4 scale Hannover CL-II (from my own plans)

4) 1/4 scale Gotha G-IV (also from my own plans)

Jim

valleyk 02-10-2013 08:54 PM

Ive been following these scale forums over the years and I have never seen someone crank out so many fine scale models more then you have in such short time. Great work Jim hope to see the DH2 some day. How you balance a pusher anyway?

Tmoth4 02-10-2013 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: valleyk

Ive been following these scale forums over the years and I have never seen someone crank out so many fine scale models more then you have in such short time. Great work Jim hope to see the DH2 some day. How you balance a pusher anyway?
I try to build the tail as light as possible, but I still have to add plenty of lead in the front.[:'(]

Jim

mike31 02-11-2013 04:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, ony one wing!

rc74 02-11-2013 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A buddy of mine's DH4 (Balsa USA 1/4 scale) that I help with and fly for him at are air show's

Highflyer2 02-11-2013 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few of my 1/3 scale Albatros. And just to let you all know a full cockpit, guns and pilot have been installed.

Horsepoweraviation 02-11-2013 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My HPA BUSA Mic Camel Is the baddest plane I will ever own. Proto type 2 is on the table now.
The crowd favorite is the GTM 1/2 scale Fokker D6
And the other Bi-plane on the table should be a crowd pleaser is the 1909 MWF in 1/2 scale

HPA

Horsepoweraviation 02-11-2013 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: R/C Art

here's a 1/3 scale Pup flying with a 1/3 scale Fok EI

Thats pretty slick how you got your MONO wing on a anomious Bi-plane photo!
You slick little willie!

HPA

avionette 02-11-2013 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi sorry limited english... Thank you everyone! i started this thread... the right title is "let me see your ww1 model"http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif. My model is balsa usa 1/6 with real roundels (look video) and some customization with aluminum adhesive (similar flite metal), for panels, machine gun bullets guide with balsa, covered with alluminum etc
<a href="http://youtu.be/VCV15wTVC_8" target="_blank">www.youtube.com/watch

<br type="_moz" />
</a>

wings2an3 02-11-2013 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 1/3 BUSA Pup 3W 70 Twin

jefflangton 02-11-2013 01:23 PM

Ok how in the world do you get pics on here? Can it be done from an android phone...thats where all my pics are.

tenacious101010 02-11-2013 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine and a few others biplanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKFQ...zidNAQ&index=1

R/C Art 02-11-2013 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

ORIGINAL: R/C Art

here's a 1/3 scale Pup flying with a 1/3 scale Fok EI

Thats pretty slick how you got your MONO wing on a anomious Bi-plane photo!
You slick little willie!

HPA

:D This a little better? A little ambiance from an Arkansas Dawn Patrol.

lkruse 02-11-2013 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: avionette

i'd like see some ww1 biplane picture
Okey-dokey. Here you go. This is my Balsa USA 1/6th scale "Sopwith Pup" powered by a Saito .56 and covered with Solartex.

jwrich 02-11-2013 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Fokker Eindecker (NOT A BIPLANE) is not scale by any means, it is a SR Batteries Kit. When I bought it I thought I would do the scale wing warping and flying stab, but it would have required a lot of modifications. The over all size was just too far off scale. I am very pleased how it handles in the air, the Zenoah 26 is enough for scale flight and I think it looks great. It did win an award last year so I guess others liked it too. Here are some pictures

Rich

jwrich 02-11-2013 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I said I would have another BUSA Fokker D VII and here it is, modeled after Lt. Kurt Monnington's color scheme, not an Ace, but a very colorful guy. This is the first flying season for Big Red. I was not able to attend many events this season due to illness, but it did win 3rd place at the last event of the season. It is powered by a Zenoah 38 which pulls it very well for at 23 lb. airplane. I am looking forward to the new flying season and attending as many Dawn Patrol/War Bird events as possible. Here are some picture, many taken at the "War Birds Over Texas" event. By the way, I have a 1/4 scale BUSA SPAD XIII on the building board almost ready to cover, it should be flying this season as well.

Rich

Tmoth4 02-11-2013 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There should be a thread just on Fokker D-VIIs! This is my BUSA 1/4 version of Ltn Hermann Gilly's:

Jim

destrat 02-12-2013 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Always did like the Gotha GIV, this one is electric based on Cleveland plans. 77" winspan.

flyer35 02-12-2013 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BUSA Eindecker

Tmoth4 02-12-2013 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: destrat

Always did like the Gotha GIV, this one is electric based on Cleveland plans. 77'' winspan.

NICE!!

avionette 02-12-2013 09:37 AM

please... i can not find bomber plans where can i buy traditional plans?

ORIGINAL: destrat

Always did like the Gotha GIV, this one is electric based on Cleveland plans. 77" winspan.

lowbubba 02-12-2013 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Balsa USA 1/4 S.E.5a

wphilb 02-12-2013 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

BUSA N28, 1/3 scale:

Whit</p>

bokuda 02-12-2013 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My BUSA Nieuport 11 and DR1

xcz5785 02-12-2013 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Balsa Usa 1/4 scale Neuport 28. I didn't build it. Purchase from Craigslist. I have tried to add scale details. One I have not seen many do is the Liberty posters on the wings.

destrat 02-12-2013 05:17 PM

avionette:

In response to you question about the Gotha GIV, i was inspired by a build by Frank Jaerschky over on RC Groups. We both used as a starting point plans from Clevland Model Supply available in this country. These were good for outlines mostly and we both redesigned a number of area's within the airframe.

ARUP 02-12-2013 05:45 PM

Italian airplane, Ansaldo A-I 'Ballila'

jeffEE 02-13-2013 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A funny thing....I was looking for a German WWI Navy pilot flag to fly at events I attend this year. My Fokker is from a 1918 navy unit. I found the flag in many web sites. It is described as "Flagge der Lotenfahrzeuge" at Wikapedia. OK I thought, what does that translate to? That is where it gets funny. Different sites translate it as follows.
Flag of pilot vehicles
flag of that pilot go witness
fly a flag the guiding vehicles
flag of pilot boats.
And so on, and so forth. I know that German to english is not always perfect. But its funny to me as to just how strange it can get distorted. I think I am going to go with the pilot boats. :D

abufletcher 02-13-2013 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The problem with the online translations is with how the compound word gets divided up. It should be "lotsen-fahrzeuge" (not "lotsen-fahr-zeuge"). Note, by the way, that it's "lotsen" not "loten." Fahrzeug is a generic term for "vehicle." At some point there was also "Luftfahrzeug" which is "air-vehicle" and then the contracted form "Flugzeug" ("fly-device" / aircraft).

I'm not entirely convinced that this is the correct flag for naval air units since I found references to this flag being used as far back at the 1890's, i.e. before there were aircraft. Note that the term "pilot" was originally used to refer to the "pilot of a boat," i.e. a navigator. In modern usage, "lotsen" call relate to "air traffic control" so it's possible this was something like "navigation craft" (whatever that might mean).

WinterHawke 02-13-2013 08:53 PM

Good evening, JeffEE

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rol2009043.jpg

We've been displaying Flags of the Great War for several years now at most of the Dawn Patrol events we attend, and what I've been able to track down for Germany are three different flags to represent the Empire, plus four more flags representing the four major Kingdoms who supported the air services (Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony and Wurttemberg). The three German flags we fly are:

The National Flag (Black / White / Red)

The War Ensign (as you've shown, without the blue anchors)

The Naval Jack (Iron Cross on the Black / White / Red flag):

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/d/de~1903j.gif

I've tried to wade through all sources I could find (primarily the Flags of the World website), plus any photos from the era I could find, to ensure some reasonable historical accuracy.

My opinion is that the Naval Jack would be the most likely flag for your purposes, but I'll do a little digging through my photos to see if I can find anything showing it in action.

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
Event Director, Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014 Dayton