Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Introducing the USS Milwaukee LCS 5

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Introducing the USS Milwaukee LCS 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Sputnikk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing the USS Milwaukee LCS 5

Hello my friends. As some of you have seen I have been working on the USS Milwaukee in 1/96 scale. This is a working model with 4 water jets, two to control the ship and two for full sped, extending stabilizer fins, and a lot of details. All that are for sale through Homeport Models.

The most exciting thing of this ship is the camo paint which you can see from the photo. This is a new design for the LCS fleet, and should help hide the ship from subs and surface ships with the digital pattern.

I will be doing some open water testing soon, but the ponds will be freezing soon, so I might not be able to test till the spring.

If you would like to see more photos, I have them on Flickr at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/homepo...7645697386762/

Enjoy
Eric

Old 11-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Sputnikk

I have test fit the mast on the ship and it looks like its going to fit well. I will be detailing this part, but it will always be removable from the model so it is transportable.

I also added the non skid deck in the back deck around the launcher. I am also planning on adding the 50 Cal guns with the armor plates in the future.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Global10
My Feedback: (20)

Nice work Eric!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Sputnikk

Here is an update on the USS Milwaukee's missile deck. I have been adding some of the details over the weekend including the gun mounts and armor, search lights, and refuel probe. It looks really nice against the non-skid and will look even better with the railings.

The ships size is 47 long, and 7 inches wide in 1/96 scale.

More photos:

Old 01-13-2015, 06:11 AM
Sputnikk

I have been posting on Facebook, but I wanted to show how the ship is coming along. I just got my Rescue RIB boat (which is 16.75 feet) for the side of the LCS ships. I painted it and tucked it into the bay. The detail was good, but I am having a little issue with paint.

I also got the mast in with the radar glued into place. More details this weekend like the beacons and so on. The smaller radars will come in a a few weeks.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:19 PM
blizard05

Will you be going to the boat show in April, at Woods Hole ?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Sputnikk

I am working out the logistics of that show still. I am going to try to make it with this ship.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:25 PM
blizard05

Originally Posted by Sputnikk
I am working out the logistics of that show still. I am going to try to make it with this ship.
Looking forward to meeting you, I have been going for 5 yrs
Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Sputnikk

I have been updating the bridge walls with the details pipes, fire hoses, and lights that go on the front. I really like how its starting to look like a ship.

Now if I can find some water to test the ship... but everything is under 6 to 8 feet of snow at the moment.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Sputnikk

I am planning on going Saturday only to Woods Hole with the Marine Modelers of New England. I will bring this ship down to show you in person. Hope to see you there.

Eric
Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Sputnikk

First run of the USS Milwaukee, and it was at the WRAM show in New Jersey this weekend. There was a crowd of people, and the latest FF (LCS) didn't let people down. She has good low speed, and a respectable high speed. I think I could get a little more speed out of her, but I have the engines and props working well.

This was a 15x15 foot box pond that was set up with a lot of other ships around and trying to get in the way. I got a chance to open her up for a short burst and she was moving well. I will really test in the spring.

Here is a video and photo:
https://ci-16581837166-18935435.http...581837166.mp4&

Old 02-23-2015, 03:07 PM
blizard05

Looking good, see you at Woods Hole Larry
Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I tried to bring up the video, twice. First time was told I was "unauthorized, the second said that it didn't exist
Old 05-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Sputnikk

Here are some photos of the USS Milwaukee and the USS Freedom models together. The Milwaukee has her new drive system installed and ready for testing on the outer engines. The Freedom will go into dry dock for a refit of new engines later this year.

Next up will be the 2 more LCS models coming soon. We should have a great fleet here in the North East for the North Atlantic Battle Group soon.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:57 AM
Sputnikk

Today I went out with Jeff York to test the Milwaukee today with the new water system and it went ok, but I need to rethink this. The engines overheated and are not spinning as fast as the graupner, but match the design.

I wanted the opinion of the engines since that is the only thing I have not changed on this design. Im using brushless high speed props and they got wicked hot today on the run. Also the rotation of was there, but not the speed. Im running 7.4 volt with them each, two motors.

Jeff's boat ran great on his Graupners, but I am still holding the hope to get the 3D printed design working.

Any ideas? Any help? Im open to new ideas.
Eric

Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 AM
escipion

Really a nice job, congratulations