Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Expert Help and Advice: 1:144 scale modern CVN commision

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Expert Help and Advice: 1:144 scale modern CVN commision

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 05:41 AM
xhack2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert Help and Advice: 1:144 scale modern CVN commision

A pleasant day to all!

I would not call myself an expert on shipbuilding RC models and all other scale models and other RC models.

But recently, I was asked to look into building from scratch, a huge 7+foot, 1:144 scale Modern CVN.
Not too overboard on details, but not too bland and possibly building a two- or three-piece hull to allow transport in a sedan/compact vehicle, as the owner doesn't own any bigger vehicles.

I was looking into advise for suggested building materials for the hull first. Major considerations are cost, ease of build, longevity and damage resistance.
>wood frame and balsa plank(with fiberglass outer layer?)
>wood frame and foam core and fiberglass outer layer.
>Molded fiberglass construction

Due to the owner's vehicular restrictions, I plan to have the build be "snapped together" or likely bolted on together out of two or three hull pieces, as this build will definitely exceed 7 feet in length.
The hulls would be buoyant and seaworthy on their own and each section's bulkhead bolts on to the next section's bulkheads, eliminating the need for waterproofing methods between each section joints.

Possibly each section be made that it "keys" easily to next section to minimize misalignment on the field.

He also plans to use the model as a presentation piece for his vast 1:144 scale naval aircraft collection when statically displayed.

Any wise help, words of encouragement, 3view drawings, possibly 3d print files? and recommendations are surely appreciated.

Do note that we are from Southeast Asia where there are only a very small amount of specialty hobby shops that has inventory for ships this scale.