Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Vosper Rescue and Target Towing Launch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Vosper Rescue and Target Towing Launch

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Ian Downunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vosper Rescue and Target Towing Launch

I am looking for a 1959 (I think) English modelling magazine, the front cover being that of a Vosper Rescue & Target Towing Launch - being the feature article inside. I require any info on the said boat. Can anyone please help? Thanks, Ian from downunder.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:01 AM
jamescr

Default RE: Vosper Rescue and Target Towing Launch

Are you wanting the Vosper 70ft target towing boat with stepped hull? Marine Modelling Plan no MAR(L) 2176 with details in Apr/May1988 and Jun/Jul 1988 magazines? This is a John Lambert drawing he has also done several other Vosper boats
try www.traplethouse.com/mmi/ and go to plan section
Also Model Boats plan MM 530 Vosper 68 ft RTTL design by Vic Smeed
try www.modelboats.co.uk
Old 06-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Ian Downunder

Thanks for your response James.

I am after the Vosper Rescue and Target Towing Launch No. 2754 (black and red hull). The real thing was made in 1957 and we bought the plans around 1959. I have since contacted the RAF Museum at Hendon, England, where I was told that there was a real one sitting adjacent the carpark. It is and I have since communicated with the various authorities there who hopefully will send me some photos and as well, have given me the opportunity to purchase a book, which tells all about the boat.

I will look at the sites you have given and see what is there.

Thanks again. Ian.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

There is an early 1942 vosper being rebuilt here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=15

Maybe you can use the hull plans, and update the superstructure to match the version you prefer to build.

Umi
Old 06-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Ian Downunder

Hi Umi.
I guess now that I'm getting somewhere with my enquiries, I better say at this point that my brother built a model in 1959 and I started to build the same model (scaled up to 48" in length) in the mid 60's but only got as far as the hull. We do have the plans but they are in very poor condition after nearly 40 years and I don't know where we have put the original magazine. This is why I was looking for information.
GOOD NEWS THOUGH!!! The RAF Museum at Hendon, England, is willing to take photos of the full size one they have sitting adjacent its carpark and also it is going to send me a copy of the Vosper RTTL manual (about 200 pages with photos - at a considerable cost I might add).
Though I would still like to get hold of the original plans and magazine, I should now be able to complete this project. My previous reply said that the plan number I was after was MM530 (see previous reply) but I have been unable to find this number. There was one plan there however, that was very similar.
Ian.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Well if you are getting photographs of an original boat, then you are getting something that plan sets can not capture. When I draw a plan set, photographs are invaluable to getting things drawn and placed properly. Even then the builder of the boat is going to build from his own interpretation.

This applies to models as well as real ship yards. As draughtsmen, we can only give a builder the general arrangement. You will do well to use any existing plans as a guide, and then build and alter the model to match the images you obtain.

Good Luck.

Umi