Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

A Christmas Convert

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

A Christmas Convert

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:11 AM
locosteamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Christmas Convert

So. Hello, I am new here ; cause I got a boat for Christmas (lucky me). As you can see by my handle, I play trains mostly, live steam. Gauge 1, to be exact. I build and kit bash these models. But I do have a love for boats, so here I am.
Christmas brought me the Lackawanna since I just fell in love with it's lines. I really have not found it too hard to build except I find myself a little heavy handed; as I am more used to working in metal. I am at the point where I have just about completed the hull and will be starting on the superstructure. Here is my dilema: I would really like to steam power this tug and wondering if this would be a wise idea. The hull is vacumn formed plastic and so is a lot of the upper structure. I am already considering sheathing this area in brass and tossing the plastic away. If I figure out a way to funnel all my hot gases out the stacks (which will be brass!), I am hoping that it will hold up.
My question to you guys is am I being a bit foolish and will end up with a fused pile of boat at my first firing? Or should I just keep things electric and build a more substantial boat for steam?
Bob
Old 01-02-2006, 05:24 AM
john j m

Default RE: A Christmas Convert

It's horses for courses Bob, any degree of heat and plastic just don't get on, far better to look out for a kit specifically designed for steam power.
Happy new year, enjoy your modeling in 2006

John[8D]
Old 01-02-2006, 07:31 AM
LtDoc

Bob,
I think I'd have to agree with John. Plastic and steam aren't exactly the best of friends and I think there would have to be quite a bit of modification to your boat. Not impossible by any means, but certainly not simple or easy. The plastic superstructure wouldn't be my main consern, but removing the heat from the hull area would be a trick. Also, since I'm not familiar with the 'Lackawanna' kit, size mainly, is there room for a steam engine in it? [Not that familiar with steam engines either - lol.] Steam powered boats don't have to be huge, but they can't be too small due to the size of a steam engine. Have fun with it no matter what you end up doing!
- 'Doc

PS - Have a friend who does the steam train thing, engine is about 4 feet long (he rides it, no idea what gauge that would be), track about a foot between rails. He's crazier than I am! ... Wish I could do it.

PSS - Just found the 'Lackawanna'! Ought to be big enough, but still have doubts about the plastic hull.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 AM
locosteamer

Thanks for the prompt responses. As I was drifting off to sleep last night, an idea occured to me. (Can ya tell I am an obsessed modeler).
What if I fiberglass the interior of the hull? I mean cloth and everything. I already know that resin is compatable with the hull since one of the kit requirements was to do the seam between the hull halves. I was thinking this with a generous amount of lagging around the boiler and a channeling of hot gasses up the stack I may have a chance.
Replacing the sheathing on the upper decks is a no brainer for me. All the pieces are flat and will require just cutting and fitting.
Doc,
I love the ride on scales! I do have friends that let me use their engines on occasions. Much too much money for my pocket! The scale that I am involved in is much smaller. Track gauge is 1.75" and equipment is 1:20.3.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99068.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	379589  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 PM
LtDoc

Bob,
Fibreglassing? Beats me, but it would certainly be 'better' than just plain plastic. The conducted heat from the firebox and the radiated heat from the boiler would be the 'biggies' I'd think. The only steam engine I've any experience with at all is a very simple one, firebox sits on a small block of wood, then the boiler on top of that. Tried making a plastic base (bad idea!) which didn't exactly work out. Didn't melt, but retaining pins got very loose, started to smell a bit. I'm not totally stupid so removed the plastic, put it back on the wooden block. The engine sits out in the open so didn't worry about the 'contained' heat in the hull.
Constructing a 'boiler room' may be an option. Contains the heat away from the hull, give it a vent through the stack (also an air intake). Depending on the engine, I'd also think about a bilge pump. I've found that there's a lot of steam/water blow-by from my oscilating engine (more common knowledge that I 'learned' the hard way).
There are some real 'steam boat' nuts around so finding them would be much smarted than listening to me! Build the thing, make notes, write it all up, make a fortune in the R/C modeling world! ...
- 'Doc

PS - The overhead power lines are a very nice touch!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:23 PM
azcaptain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a test of uploading photo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53039.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	390547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18245.jpg