Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

PT boat thoughts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

PT boat thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:06 PM
morso484

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PT boat thoughts

I'm thinking of building the smaller version of the Dumas pt-boat , 30" , but I'm wondering if the details and parts from a Lindberg PT-109 might be usable to improve the look of the Dumas? Any thoughts or ideas in this regard or in updating the parts on the Dumas?
Mike
Old 01-23-2006, 10:48 PM
morso484

Default RE: PT boat thoughts

Anyone?? Any ideas???
Old 01-29-2006, 07:58 PM
frankk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You hit the nail right on the head. You can use most of the deck hardware from the LINDBERG pt-109 on the DUMAS 33" wood PT-109, but why. If you are lucky enough to have the full LINDBERG PT-109 kit use it insted of the wood hull. I have just completed building the LINDBERG PT-109 with the MACK products power package kit#812CE, which is a twin engine high speed power set up fot the LINDBERG kit. It runs with two 7.2 volt ni-cad packs in series and will give a top speed of 25 mph, for real.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM
morso484

Thanks for the reply, I thought about just what you said, problem is I have a Dumas 109, it is the new updated version, but I would like to have better detail. Just trying diferent ideas out. I suppose if I could find a Lindberg kit cheap enough, that might work.
Mike
Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 AM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW, the Lindy kit is back in production, you can buy it all day long.
You can also go a little smaller ( and wait a while), Italeri is rumored to have a 1/35 Elco coming out late this year- should be finely detailed, compared to the toylike details on the Lindberg.
PM
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you go to the Italeri website, it would appear that there is a PT boat of some sort on the cover of their 2006 catalog:

http://www.italeri.com/default.aspx

An Italeri PT boat in that scale would be incredible. Then we will all see just how bad the Lindberg one is. (I have a 30" Lindberg)
Old 02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
morso484

Thanks for the info, I think I recall seeing that kit, but they didn't have any info about it. I guess I can wait a bit. I plan on moving in a few months so no building for awhile, but on the good side, I should have a sizable portion of the new basement for a workshop.
Mike
Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
frankk

Just thought I would give some food for thought. Did you know that the LINDBERG PT-109 , 30 inch kit hull is really that of a 78 foot ELCO PT. The real give away is the bow of the LINDBERG PT has what is called a clipper stem post were as the 80foot ELCO had a raked but stright stem post. The cabin on the 78 foot ELCO was totaly different from the twin cabin setup on the the 80 foot ELCO's. Kind of makes you wonder who did the reserch on the kit before it went into production.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Turbobearcat

I am about to buy this kit(Lumberg) and I was wondering if you have any pictires of your setup?

Mark
Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will Love the EASE of the assy. And then paint it any 2 tone green to blend in with the jungle colors.

DO NOT leave out the wide center frame that supports the stock engine and transmission. It keeps the hull together in the middle.

I have a 8' PTB, but the Lindberg is so nice to carry in a padded box in the trunk for a "quicky" run anywhere.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:00 PM
U-812

I sure love mine. Scale speeds and she only took about 2 weeks off and on to build. I made some improvements and additions. Not the most scale PT (Lindberg that is) in the world but for the money and size it looks the part. Nicely made and easy to convert to RC. Find one. They are still out there.

Steve

Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM
cyclops2

It looks great! Love the weathering at wear points.

Years ago I spoke to Max Lamont who had served on the PT 73. He said when they arrived in the Pacific they painted the boat completly green then were given completly green clothes.

2 colors on the boat, green and sunburned skin.

I am dickering around with green people. Can not see them on the boat.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:14 AM
U-812

Got to take here out to the lake today for the first time. She ran great but I didn't get video until the batteries were down but she still ran very nice. Just perfect in fact.

Enjoy!

Steve

http://www.sneill.com/boatvideo/pt.wmv
Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
cyclops2

PTB and Subs. Perfect together. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Turbobearcat

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

It looks great! Love the weathering at wear points.

Years ago I spoke to Max Lamont who had served on the PT 73. He said when they arrived in the Pacific they painted the boat completly green then were given completly green clothes.

2 colors on the boat, green and sunburned skin.

I am dickering around with green people. Can not see them on the boat.
OH MY GAWD THAT IS FUNNY!!!

I bought mine last night and have been digging into it for alike 5 hours a night.. so far I have it put together but I was trying to get the paint straight for this ship, Steve and I have been talking about this for the past 2 days doing research on the web (which said these boats were painted green) from the factory, they were dark grey until they hit where they were going to be stationed.. So green it is for my PT 109..but there will be a few changes to appearance.

Mark
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 PM
cyclops2

Turbobearcat.
I went with a full crew on deck underway with 6 Australian Rangers in Kahki shorts. A couple of wounded on deck in blankets and a few blanketed dead. Added more 50's and 2-- 37 mm also. Ammo boxes and a extra life raft. The boat looks great coming out of a slip 500' away and getting on plane with engine speakers of 120 watts.

People quiet down when they see the wounded and dead.

It is a model of what happened.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:27 PM
U-812

BTW guys. I just saw on tower hobbies that they have a few in stock. Go get em boys.

steve