Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Large Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Need Help with Large Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:46 PM
330T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Large Build

Hi all,

I'm building a large barge (60” by 30”) and its going to weigh in the neighborhood of 47lbs. I have two 12v motors I’m planning on using to power it 1/4 hp, 1800 RPM, at 21amps. I’m having trouble finding a speed controller for that motor that will allow revercing.

I’ve been toying with the idea of using resistors and a slide (similar to old slot car controllers) have any of you done this sort of work?

Also what sort of motors do you all run in your larger boats?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
balsadustmaker

Default RE: Need Help with Large Build

For a speed controller try www.electronize.co.uk . Look at the FR30HX model. Has reverse, operates at 6 - 24v, 30 amps continuous, 90 amps short term stall. I picked a new one up from ebay for $77 shipped from the UK. Very nice unit. You may want to check out Novak's line of esc. I think the GTX can handle dual motors, but I'm not sure of amperage.
The mechanical 'step' style speed controller that your describing has been around for awhile. They do work, but they are not very smooth in operation, can get very hot even at low amperages, and are not very efficent.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 PM
green-boat

Default RE: Need Help with Large Build

Motors pulling those kind of amps are going to need a serious ESC, like what the Battlebot guys use. I have several of the RET series ESC's in my boats and are very happy with them. http://www.vantec.com/