Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
 Conversion of a Cargo ship >

Conversion of a Cargo ship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Conversion of a Cargo ship

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion of a Cargo ship

I read about a conversion of an Imex ship on another forum and loved the idea of a pool ship so I have started building one of my own. I love container ships so I chose the Toyama from Imex. The hull is one piece with the outer prop skegs that need to be glued in place. This ship is a triple screw hull but I am only going to power the center prop. I am using a prop from the Tamyia Bismark kit I hope it works. I have assmebled and painted the parts that can be built now and I have more there to build as well. The servo for the steering and the linkage is done and tested all is good there. I am not sure if I am going to canabalize a servo yet or get a small motor for a helichopter tail to power this ship. Servo needs no ESC but only one speed, the ESC gives me many speeds but more stuff and weight. I guess I will just have to play that part by ear. Well here are some pics of my progress so far. Let me know what you think about the little ship.

Massey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45684.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	501345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34415.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	501346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49889.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	501347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69335.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	501348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60159.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	501349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35791.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	501350  
Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Conversion of a Cargo ship

Looks great so far. Looks like you have a really clean setup especially in the stern with your servo and rudder assembly.

I have done a few conversions myself and have had great success using the kit props drilled out to accept a brass prop shaft. I secure the prop with epoxy and have had no fuss. I am fascinated by RC conversions of ships that were originally intended for display (dare I say for collecting dust on a shelf?).

What's the scale of the freighter (heard it is 1/400 I think)? What is the length and width of the hull?

Regards,

-Harq
Old 08-05-2006, 09:47 AM

The scale of this ship is 1:550 and the length is about 19 niches with a 2 1/4 inch beam. It looks like it will sit at the natural waterline with the gear in place. Just waiting on a motor before I go any farther with it.

Massey
Old 08-05-2006, 09:56 AM
My Feedback: (9)

I thought about this kind of thing a few years ago when the micro gear started to come out but never did it. Yours is looking good, maybe I will try it when I get some time.
If I remember correctly, if you use a servo and its controller, you should be able to get some kind of speed and direction control.