Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Steering arrangement possible?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Steering arrangement possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering arrangement possible?

I am making a boat poweed by two Robbe 700, 13 turn motors in parellel. Idealy, I would use two ESCs, so I can slow dowd/stop one when I go around a corner, to make it look more impressive, but I cannot do this because I can only afford one ESC. The other option is to use the one ESC, and to have a servo that turns one off when the rudder is at one of it's extremes. The only problem to this, is I am not sure if that when the motor was re-started, at full throttle, the starting 'kick' may demolish the motor mount / universal joint / driveshaft / knock the propeller off. Is this going to be a problem?

The motors will be runnning off 9.6V.

cowana
Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Steering arrangement possible?

A method that has been used is to have switches linked to the rudder servo so that the inboard motor is switched at a given point of rudder operation, but instead of chopping the inboard motor, a resistor is cut into the circuit. The atrcle that I read was many years ago, and as I recall, the writer used lengths of an element from a dead electric fire, as this allowed for easy experimentation to give the right value for his installation. As the motor is never actually stopped, the power-up is a lot more gentle.
The main difficulty is finding switches that are rated for the current your motors will pull.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering arrangement possible?

I had thought about using power resistors, but fire element would be even better. I'll look into that, thanks!

cowana