Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Couple of Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 AM
cadmunkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions

HI, ive got a couple of questions.

1) I am build in a Right Angle Drive Unit for my ferry and I am using Dumas drive shafts. My question is is how much do these things leak? It is going to be completely below the water line and only 3" long.

2) Is there such a thing as a remote receiver power switch. I have multiple boat using one radio and multiple receivers. I want to be able to dock the boats and just turn the boats off remotely and switch to another one. Any ideas.

Cheers,
Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Couple of Questions

cadmunkey,
Can't say about the drives leaking, never owned one. But, the remote receiver switch is possible. It does depend on exactly what you plan to do. Turning the radio system off, remotely, isn't much problem. It basically just requires a servo connected to an ON/OFF switch in the receiver's power line. Since that servo will do away with it's own power when activated, turning it back on just ain't in the cards. That's the 'quick-n-dirty', cheap answer.
The more expensive answer is that, yes, it's certainly possible, but will require another control system of some kind. As in an infra red thingy like the remote on a TV. Or an IR laser activated switch. Or an R/C radio system capable of changing operating channels and receivers set to different channels. The above 'Or's are arranged in order of their cost, sort of. Just depends on what you may already have laying around, and how 'handy' you are with electronics.
- 'Doc

That 'quick-n-dirty/cheap answer also just depends on what you turn off, the receiver (whole system), or maybe just the motors?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
tillsonburgretread

Cadmunkey
Not sure if a switch 8 from MCD model control devices could perform that operation or not .
Dan Sinstead at 705-738-7135 may be able to give you some adviceor search his site at :
http:www.modelcontrol.com

Regards Alex
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Like Doc says, off is easy, on is another story, especially if it has been parked out of reach.
Well engineered propshafts properly lubricated can be very watertight. The best people to ask are the submarine lads. They are pretty good at keeping the wet out.