Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

wood shine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

wood shine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
pcolla1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wood shine?

Hi guys im brand new to the boat modeling world. I have finished my first midwest kit, and love the wood quality of these boats. My question is how can I get the shiny polished wood look, that I see on the box, or on most people members boat posts. I bought the midwest paint kit, but the sealer just doesnt do it for me. I sanded twice with 400grit and applied a couple coats of wood sealer..but still not the look I was hoping for. I would like the barewood parts to really gloss, especially the mahogonny pieces.

Can someone help me on how to get that nice quality wood gloss and shine.

Thanks
Phil
Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
slivic003

Default RE: wood shine?

I use a marine grade glossy varnish to get "the shinny look" . It takes about four coats of the varnish that I use . It also holds up very well over time . You can get the varnish in a quart size at most any marine store . Also I would sand the boat with 1500 grit before applying the varnish . That will help give you a really smooth finish . sand in stages though . Go from 400 , 800, 1200, to 1500 . This will remove any sand marks that may show up in your finish . Lightly sand , don't put a lot of pressure on the paper , you just want to smooth the wood not remove layers of it !
Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
pcolla1

can you provide me a link to the varnish?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:58 PM
slivic003

Check boatersworld.com or westmarine.com . They both sell it . It runs around 30-60 bucks a quart . I use it on the wood on my 46ft boat and it will shine like glass as long as you put it on correctly !! I also use it on my r/c scale boats . Oh and make sure you get glossy . It will come in other finishes too.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/377440136.htm

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/377440110.htm

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...arnish&isLToke

Above are a couple of varnishs . There are more , look around and go with what you would like to use . Make sure you read all of the description on the varnish , they are not all used in the same way .
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
pcolla1

great, thanks slivic003

I bought the.. Pettit 1-Spar Captains Varnish Quart

My midwest boats should like sharp now.. any applying tips? can you apply this on prepainted balsa wood, or would you only use this on the bare wood parts?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 AM
slivic003

Before appying to anything prepainted I would try it out on a test piece to make sure there is no reaction to the paint . I have never applied it over painted surfaces before . just bare wood . Some paints will have a reaction with others . Just check it out on something first . It would be bad if you did everything and thenn had a reaction to the one area that was painted . It should be fine though . Also on the varnish you got ,it will have to dry between coats . Ususally put on one coat per day . That will allow it to dry well before the next coat . And you will be able to sand (2000 grit) between coats if you have any errors in the varnish . The best thing is take your time doing it . Don't get in a rush , its a slow process to get that ultimate shine !
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM
pcolla1

cool thanks, i will be patiently waiting by the mailbox. Got any pics to share of some of your wood shine?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
slivic003

Don't have any wood on my r/c donzi yet , haven't gotten to that stage yet . I am waiting on some teak to come in that I am going to plane down and use for trim on my donzi . I'll take some pics once I do that . Next time I am at my real boat I'll take some upclose pics of the wood on it , it really came out nice !!