Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

What stain for Chris Craft?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

What stain for Chris Craft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
borabora22
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What stain for Chris Craft?

Hi guys new guy here with new guy questions. What stain do you use for your Classic Chris Craft look. I am building a Dumas Typhoon and I am at the pint where I need to start staining some cockpit parts. I still do not know the difference between a stain and varnish.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What stain for Chris Craft?

A stain is a coloring agent. You can get stains in various colors, IE Walnut, Mahogany, Redwood, etc. Varnish is a clear coating without any color agent in it. Although by virtue of applying it to wood it brings out a 'warmer' look to the wood.

If you have real mahogany wood, you don't need to stain it. If you have a light color wood such as pine or bass, you could use a coloring stain to give it a faux look of another type of wood. You can still stain your mahogany wood with a mahogany stain, which will make it look darker and 'richer' but you should experiment on some scrap pieces first to see if you like th result.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, Tom, the Dumas kits come with a stain for the mahogany. Borabora, is it not in your kit?

Their typical stain goes on with an orange hue, but once varnihed, it gives the mahogany a glowing red color... good stuff. Other models may have darker colors, even black, for some contrasting trim work.

Don't use any combo stain-clear coats, no telling if the clear will work with your preferred choice of clears. Spar varnish, polyurethane, lacquers, and 2-part automotive clears all have their fans.

Pat Matthews
[link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0615166954]Mahogany in Scale[/link]
Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
borabora22

Thanks for the info guys. This kit has sat in my house or garage for the past several years with the cockpit and superstructure complete. I do not see the stain in the kit. The kit is not offered anymore. I am going to finish it using west systems products. There is a local store here of their products and I have read good things about them on this forum. Building airplanes for years but never a boat. Looks very challenging!

I am not sure of the compatibility of various stains epoxies, resins etc... I assume these finishing type epoxy systems are able to be sanded. The Epoxies I have used for gluing sand like rock. The kit said you do not need to fiberglas the hull but I know most you guys do. This boat is one continuous compound curve. Not sure I I have the skills to tackle a fiber glassing job like this. If I do a poor job I am not sure I can cover it up and get a good final result.

Any suggestions or ideas you have are certainly welcome.

Thanks for the link

Mike
Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
borabora22

Ok Just ordered your book. I think I am going to need it.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
patmat

Typhoon is still very much available:
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/a...ywords=typhoon

And there's a good build thread by Pat Tritle at The Site Which Cannot Be Named.
(google "tritle typhoon"...)

In my book, I describe how the epoxy can be sanded and the various ways to then get that deep shiny finish... it's work, but it's not impossible!

Pat Matthews
[link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0615166954]Mahogany in Scale[/link]
Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 AM
LtDoc

Coffee grounds! They'll stain almost anything, smell good, and will weather to a sort of lighter color just like the real thing. Not expensive at all!
- 'Doc

I think I need more coffee...
Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really? I am going to try that. I once tried the liquid coffee to stain some "rope" but it barely colored it. Neither did tea. But I will try the grounds and hopefully they will do some nice weathering on a project I have.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
patmat

Noooooo!
Some use tea to stain sail cloth... I used coffee to stain a rope bumper for my tug- looks great, still smells like old coffee!

Borabora- Thanks!

Pat M
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 AM
RW3D

BORABORA22 It would be a good idea to buy PATMATS book, I did. I am building up a 60" BABY BOOTLEGGER 1/8 MAHOGANY STRIPS OVER 1/16 PLY. The book gave me new ideas on finishing and fittings. Need to change plans for the better. Sometimes the mind goes into grid-lock when you scratch build.Need new ideas to get you out of it. Pictures help alot, lots of detail stuff. PATMAT ,what is the green color on the bottom of the Chris Crafts. I have a BURLINGTON GREEN from Floquill that looks close. Roger
Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 PM
patmat

Oh no, a test!
My answer: If it looks good to you, it's right.
I don't know if there's one correct shade, perhaps the answer lays in a Chris Craft forum like:
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/

I suspect that bottom paints varied, and that they varied even more after use.

Pat M