Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

please advise: electronic speed control for 48" coast guard boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

please advise: electronic speed control for 48" coast guard boat

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Jesse J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please advise: electronic speed control for 48" coast guard boat

Hi, my dad is building a scale coast guard boat the Point Ledge. it is almost 4' long by 9" wide. He wants to run two electric motors with 12 cells nicad, controlled by one speed controller. I am trying to figure out which will be the best for him. I have heard that it should be at least 90 amps (by a racing guy) and it definitely needs reverse. Any suggestions?
Jesse
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: please advise: electronic speed control for 48" coast guard boat

hey try this i use two for my 6' pt boat http://www.modelcontrol.com/sc480.htm
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM
LtDoc

Jesse,
The 'size' of ESC depends on how much current the motor(s) draw. The ESC has to be able to supply that current with a little safety margin added in just in case. So, determining the motors current needs is the first step. The max current draw of one motor, doubled, should tell you the 'size' of ESC needed. From there, it's a matter of shopping around to find the 'best' deal. Not knowing which motors your dad is going to use, I can't make any specific suggestions, sorry 'bout that. Bigger is better to some ridiculous point. Having an ESC that can handle more than what is required isn't a problem except to the bank account. One that's too small means another trip to the store for a bigger ESC, and another dip into that bank account (ouch). Good luck!
- 'Doc
Old 12-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the Fall 2007 issue of Radio COntrol Boat Modeler magazine. It has a construction article on the Point Ledge and should give you lots of helpful info:

http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/Me2/dir...0B84C1179FCCAC
Old 12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Jesse J

Thanks guys,
Rye, that looks like a great control, but I am at a $100 budget. You are right, Doc, since it is a xmas present and he is still building it (he did get the plans from that exact article, Kmot - thanks for passing that link by the way), I am not sure he even knows which motors he is putting in it. so for this and also a recommendation from the owner of Offshore Electrics, I am probably going to go with his suggestion: two Blue ProBoat esc (40 A) with a y harness. This ought to give him a similar action as the fancy one Rye suggests and stay in my budget. I appreciate the help! Merry Christmas!
Jesse
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
jshander

A couple of the guys in the Wisconsin Scale Boaters Association use the AstroFlight reversing 108D Harbor ESC that will run two Astro 40's with great success in your price range for that size boat

Jim Shander
Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Mtroniks may have a Viper Marine that will suit your needs...

http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/HPS_183864471.asp
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM
texas_hippie

I'm just curious, is this a kit?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Jesse J

kit? uh, kinda. It is basically the article above (see Kmot) which you buy then glue to the balsa and cut out yourself. Then do all the decorating on your own. I have not seen the article, but it describes the process pretty well, granted you are medium to experienced modeler.

There does seem to be some funkyness with these plans. Dad says that when he cut out the bulkheads and did a pre-assembly, he was surprised to see some size variations when comparing to the side view in the plans... not sure yet. I will see it this weekend and can possibly submit some photos if interested.

I think I might look into the astroflight reversables, know where to get them? I have done considerable searching (surfing) for solving the controls issue, and wouldn't mind knowing where to get the astroflight line (other than HobbyLobby).

Thanks again for the great comments!
Jesse