Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Swordsman 37" power source.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Swordsman 37" power source.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Doc.316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swordsman 37" power source.

Hello.
I am an airplane modeler. (Ok I own 5 boats also!) One of the boats is the boat that I got into R/C with...way back in the early 70's! It is a 36" (37" total length) scale model of a fairey swordsman. I bought this boat when I was a kiddo and ran it a bunch...it has been to a few countrys...well anyway I replaced the rotted wood...glassed it so it should keep the parts together...and have painted it (actually it looks pretty good)....so now I am doing the power system. Earlier...way earlier...(the 70's man...groovy...) the motor was a 12v BAM (big *SS motor) which by todays standards (I believe) is probably underkill).

So here is the question....and everyone will have a difference ....what power source should I use for this....:
I want:

1. Reversible....I would like my kid to be able to run it. (she is a good car driver).
2. Easily maintaible...
3. Reasonable inexpensive...(I do not want the wife to "KILL" me.
4. Resonably long run times......

I do not want a killer fast boat...(actually I have one of those)...but a good tradeoff....

Steve

P.S. If anyone can tell me what "kit' this was...(is) let me know...Ok..it was bought in Gt. Yarmouth U.K. at the hobby shop in around 74....thanks....
Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Swordsman 37" power source.

I like to serf the web alot. I came across this site for you. Have a try at them.
http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/default.asp

Also:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US259%26sa%3DN
Old 02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Doc.316

Wow Deathwish (nice name)...
I have found the sights you gave me...(actually that is how I picked the color scheme)...thanks for the info...
I really want a electric system for this boat since it is looking pretty good (I think ...ok I have looked at some of the smaller pull start engines)....but for a "picknic" type of scale boat running was thinking maybe brushless?

Steve
Old 02-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Deathwish

A simple ESC and a good motor should work. For reverse and forward.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Doc.316

Yea...but what size...to make it run like the real ones...(the 12V system from the 70's wouldn't get it on step)...and even with the huge motorcycle battery dad and I put in it would not last very long...(but it was still fun)....what I am looking for is brush/brushless....lipo (do you guys use these in boats?)...etc..size of motor that would make the boat run well...and have some endurance.

Steve
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Deathwish

We use them in boats. I think what you wanting is a motor that is geared so you can get the speed you looking for and still get the run time you looking for. But as for the motor and such i wouldnt have no idea. Am currently working on 2 Iowa class battleship's and that be my next thing to work on. Right now am build the kit first but also have my prop and prop shaft installed. here's what i got so far.

USS Missouri Build
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6480413/tm.htm
Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Doc.316

Here is what I am working with...it is 37" long...everyone likes pics of a project right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57382.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	869528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50318.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	869529  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Deathwish

Try this:

ESC: 2-ProBoat model 2314 Waterproof ESC with Reverse
Battery: 2-Speed600
Motor: 2-8.4V motor's
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Doc.316

Wow...I hate to say this...but...(it's gotta be a single drive)....since it has been in there since the 70's I doubt I could get it out of the boat without tearing up the newly painted hull...(sigh)...

I did get some blue pinstripes put on the boat. They look good...I gotta refinish the deck...build the wood piece to go up in the middle of the windshield....and put a windshield on it.

do you have an idea on a "single screw" type of drive for it?

Steve
Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Deathwish

Same idea minus one ESC, and motor. Some ESC you can use two battery pack's (gaves you a longer run time). Check what is the max volt's it can take. Exsimple is 2-7.2 pack's + 14.4 volt's. This would gave you more juice for the motor and a longer run time if you dont run it hard. Also i believe the number on the battery pack say a 6000 would run longer then a 3000. Ask Umi he know's everything. LOL