Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Scale or standoff Scale Titanic?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Scale or standoff Scale Titanic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM
Boeing314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale or standoff Scale Titanic?

I have a question concerning detail in model boats, specifically larger scales (6-8' long).

I made a 12' long waterline Titanic years ago out of Styrofoam. I loved the size of it on the water and it attracted a lot of attention because of its sheer size. It was lacking any refinements, having been built as a testbed for a more detailed version to come later. When I went to San Diego to run it, I noticed a few modelers who had constructed battleships to have taken a similar, though not as drastic, method as well; modeling general shapes and passing on details such as railings and small bits as they would be seen when the model was out on the pond. I'd really like to do another waterline model with a little bit more detail on it, but I'm torn about getting a highly detailed kit for possible completion modeling.

Here's my question. Are there two camps in the world of scale boating? One with highly detailed models that compete, and others built for the purpose of running? I don't know of any scale modelers around me as yet, I'd like to get your input if you run scale boats.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
bigford

Default RE: Scale or standoff Scale Titanic?

i'm not a pro but the only detail lacking boats i know of are the bb battle boats
they try to sink each other. there boats are built out of balsa. UMI who post on here knows
more about these boats as she builds and fights them.

most all other boats are built with full detail and what not
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Boeing314

Yeah, wasn't quite sure since that one battleship I saw tended to be lumps of shapes, rather than detailed turrets, etc. The other boats went the complete opposite route, full on detail with railings, etc.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

There are as many "schools" as there are modelers. Some will hold that their way is the only way, but generally the idea is that we give pleasure to ourselves and anybody watching, and we go home with a big daft smile.
As someone (probably Anon) once said "I thought it, therefore I am right".
Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
LtDoc

In a very generalized way, you hit the nail on the head with the, "highly detailed models that compete, and others built for the purpose of running", statement. Just depends on the purpose of the boat, and how 'nit-picking' you are. 'Nit-picking' is a technical term which describes levels of 'scale', and the degree of laziness the builder subscribes to (I'm a charter member of of that 'laziness' club, you know! Deals with accumulated patience, and how bored you may be.)
If you aren't getting paid to build, it's more a matter of personal achievement and satisfaction, whatever 'turns you on', sort of. Are there 'levels' of scale? Sure. Do all scale models have to be of 'museum' quality? Nope. (Does it really matter just how many cigarette butts were in that pile of dirt in the corner? Okay, which brand?)
The biggy is if -you- are happy with it. If you are competing, are 'they' happy with it?
- 'Doc
Old 02-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Boeing314

Thanks for all the input so far. I've almost decided to get the detailed kit as it contains a huge number of detailed appointments that would save a large amount of building time. That and the fact it would allow me to show off the model once it was dockside. Having been a scale aircraft modeler for over 25 years I've noticed folks can't resist looking over all the detail you've put into a well built model. And yes, I do take pride in the models I build.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 AM
bigford

whats even scaryer is all the detail the plane and armor guy add to the inside's
my buddy builds german tanks with full detailed insides[X(]
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 AM
Boeing314

Here's a shot of the kit:

http://www.titanic-plan.com/i_kit_main_e.html
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 AM
LtDoc

Mercy! All I can say is that I don't think I'm up to the standards required of that sort of 'scale' work. Not that I wouldn't like to try it, but at my age I'm not sure I'd live long enough to get it finished!
- 'Doc
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I must have eyesight problems.

Where are all the highly detailed parts. ??

You have to fully ballest & brace the hull for the Water Line weight. Or it will distort and pop deck seams.

At $ 500 +. I would pass.

Rich

Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Boeing314

This link has the photo etch kit. The decks will have to be built by the modeler.

http://www.titanic-plan.com/i_kit_pe_e.html
Old 02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
PondProwler

Well, in my neck of the woods there are basically 3 schools of thought.

1) Scale Modelers
2) Stand-off Scale Modelers
3) Stand - Way Off - Scale Modelers

At what distance do you want to view the model? Make the detail for the viewing distance.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Boeing314

Good idea. Standoff scale would be fine....the foam version was 12' long and split into two halves for transport. Being all foam, it was very light and easy to move around. On the pond, viewed from 75-100' away it looked fine....the lack of detail was obscured by it's distance. In fact, on most boats anything past 50' blurs small details to the point where they disappear. What we tend to see instead are blocks of detail. That's why I was so intrigued by the one warship I saw (8'long?) which boasted an impressive size but vague detail.