Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Paddle Wheel Boat???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Paddle Wheel Boat???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM
jsflagstad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Wheel Boat???

Anyone ever built an RC paddle wheel boat? My dad has started scratch building one and we are looking for some ideas on the drives etc. He is planning on electric for power.

JSF
Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Paddle Wheel Boat???

There are a couple Dumas kits available, and
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773432]Stu has built a Confederate Blockade Runner[/link] that uses two side wheels.

[8D]
Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 AM
oldiron11

ORIGINAL: jsflagstad

Anyone ever built an RC paddle wheel boat? My dad has started scratch building one and we are looking for some ideas on the drives etc. He is planning on electric for power.

JSF
A friend of mine has built two of them. One is the Duches of Fife and the other a freelance tug. Both use feathering paddles and electric drive independant for each paddle. This includes sperate motor controlers for each paddle. He uses a gear system from each motor to the paddle, works really well. I'll get over and take some pics of it in the next day or so to give you some ideas.

oldiron
Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Timing belt.. toothed gears & belts... are a simple way to change ratios and do a positive drive setup.

I have some fist sized, Pittman #14204C637 servo motors, 12 volt DC. They are very high torque, low speed motors. Go with a MIXER radio setup somehow. It will solve the most problems in 1 shot. Use 1 joy stick that has 2 channels spring retuns.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
escipion

Hello!!!!
Here is a building thread about the Dumas Myrtle Corey, a paddle wheel boat
Maybe it could help you

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Myrtle+Corey

Escipion
Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 AM
jsflagstad

Thanks, That is a great thread!

JSF
Old 04-05-2008, 08:13 PM
oldiron11

I finally got some pics of my friend's paddle tug for your info. He has used automobile power seat motors to run th etugs. All bearings for the shafts have ball bearings in them. Each paddle controls independantly through two ESC's . The paddles have feathering blades. The vessel runs very well.

oldiron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48216.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	922637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57500.jpg
Views:	4333
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	922638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71215.jpg
Views:	7106
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	922639  
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM
cyclops2

JS
Is your paddle a 1 piece stern ? 2 seperate stern wheels ? 2 locked sidewheels or 2 independant sidewheels? Are the paddle blades rigid? Or flopping 1 way type?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 AM
cyclops2

You are aware that paddlewhellers are the most difficult boats to control in any moving water, and or a breeze.
I authorize you to install a large, fixed, straight, anti - drifting fin, in the very front of the bow, out of sight.
I would suggest you to add 1 or 2 stern mounted rudders for the best control possible.
They can be Y connected.
You will need the rudders & turn fin with any setup that has 1 or both wheels at the same speed.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
jsflagstad

My dad is building it, I do have input but whether he listens to me or not are 2 different things. It will have one fixed paddle stern wheel. Right now I think it is a bit heavy, but he thinks not. We'll see..

JSF
Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

If you haven't already discovered this site, be sure to visit & join [link=http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/]Paddleducks[/link]. You & your father will learn a lot from these experienced paddlewheel fans who mostly hail from the UK & Australia. Their mission statement says it all:

Paddleducks was setup to help with the unique problems encountered when building a paddlewheel driven ship, with particular emphasis on models. We are a group of people with one thing in common, a PASSION for paddlers!

Our aim is to provide modellers with one of the most comprehensive sources of imformation and research material on every type of paddle driven vessel - Sternwheel or sidewheel, and boats from all corners of the globe.

So if you have an interest in modelling these unique vessels, either as a static exhibit, a fully working radio controlled model, or even a full sized vessel capable of carrying people, this is THE place to be!
Chuck
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
JSGILL

There are a number of ways you can power. In side-wheeler "DIXIE QUEEN" I use two small-geared drive from toys, I have also set a differancel steering, as the rudder on these boats was very small. As the rudder is moved the tiller are engages the first switch this put a 5 ohm resister in the line to the inside motor. At full rudder a second switch is engaged cutting power to the inside motor. The switches are repeated on the other side of the tiller. This reduced the turning radius from over 60 feet too less than 4 feet.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
jsflagstad

I spoke with him yesterday and he is planning to use a small automotive wiper motor for power with a crankshaft type linkage mechanism.

This thing is looking heavier and heavier everyday, it may just be the world first "RC Paddle Submarine"...

JSF
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 AM
champ 7ac

I built a model of the Creole Queen.54" length by 14 beam. I used the motor and drive from one wheel of a battery powered kids car, and the speed control and the reverse switch from a variable speed drill. I drive the paddle wheel fron two eccentrics set 90 degrees apart off the axle shaft from the little car with two rods to the eccentrics on the paddle. I used HO railroad tracks for the railings, and everything else is from balsa or pine. It looks real nice on the water with the rods moving back and forth. Ed
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
mike walker

I sat down one day and started building a paddle no plans no clue but it came out just beautiful shes not scale and has her little problems, I made my own wheel cut three disc cut slots and planked it. I used a 6v airplane motor with gear reduction and a large oring with two wood pulleies. Ill try to put up some pics.

On the wheel it is double planked dont glue till you spin it a little and check balance
Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
RW3D

JFS Check into the{ Scotch Yoke } drive system. Type it in on Yahoo and you will get many hits, then you can see what I mean for your application in a stern wheeler. You can see the tie rods going fore and aft. Little more realistic. Uses one motor. Roger
Old 09-27-2008, 04:25 AM
frogprince

I built an sternwheeler Barbara H a year ago with worm gear turning the peedle. The project halt once I found the superstructure with funny proportion.[:@] The problem was I use a photo instead of a proper drawing.

Anyway, I took it to the pond few time. The boat is slow but still twice the proper scale speed.[X(] Good luck to you (was me) if there is wind. Very manuveurable because it have 5 rudder like the real one. Attract a lot of attension even before the deck finished.

Would be a great little ship if properly built. Does anyone out there have a proper drawing (line drawing)?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
joe2011

i just picked this up it will need a lot of work !!! its a dumas
thanx for looking

Name:	Ca82163.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1045197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78923.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1045198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80187.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1045199  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:14 AM
LynxRA

Anyone know where I can find some Pittman 14204C637 motors?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM
hasbeen

check out "small parts" they have a zillion gears, timing belts, couplers and other neat stuff.
i am building a "delta queen" with a walking beam drive to the paddle wheel using an 05 rc car motor
and a home made gear train, also made from rc car parts.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM
royf

I"scratch built" a model of the Anchor Steamboat Line "Bluff City" not too long ago from photographs and drawings. I powered it with an electric screwdriver motor to turn the paddlewheel. It took me a year in the building but it ran fine for an RC boat of that vintage. It sure made me have a great deal of respect for steamboat pilots. It ain't easy to manuever like it looks. I sent my construction photos to Steamboat Masters in Kentucky, and Jack Custer said it was a good representive of the packet boats of that time. Here are some pictures of it.
Roy Fredrichsen

Name:	Us53788.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1670661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29156.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1670662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81868.jpg
Views:	438