Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Smoke cartridge smoke screen?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Smoke cartridge smoke screen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Pucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke cartridge smoke screen?

Hi, I'm thinking of building a torpedo boat in 1/24 which can generate a smoke screen. I have seen smoke cartridges for sale for use in creating smoke trails for model planes which can be remotely ignited with tiny strips. I was wondering if any one had any experience with this? I don't know if these cartridges generate a lot of heat or not. I was think, if necessary, to blow the smoke out the back using a small fan. Pipe dream?

Pucket
Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Smoke cartridge smoke screen?

I have never used those cartidges, but have used several standard smoke and rescue smoke cartridges in pyrotechnic displays off of my boat. Regular smoke cartridges shoot a 2-3 inch(75mm)
starting flame to get the slow burning smoke charge started. This along with the heat through the
casing shoud be taken into consideration when designing your cartridge mount.

If you can pick up one of the aircraft cartridges locally, I would take the time to run a few tests.
The effect is always a crowd pleaser.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53613.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	921512  
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Pucket

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The cartridges I am looking att are used for leak testing ventilation systems which come in two sizes and can come in different colors inc white and grey. Check out [link]http://www.regin.com/cart.html[/link] they have some films. I think they may be different from rescue cartridges you mention. Looks like they are even used indoors so I doubt there is a 3 in flame (but who knows). Will see if I can get my hands on some and test if they will work out doors before going further. 3 in flames inside the hull does not realy appeal to me funnily enough

If it works I will post some pics.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:26 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Although the cartridges are used indoors, they are usually used where a flame would be expected, fireplace, boiler combustion chamber etc. Might be worth trying one in the back yard, though.