Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Checking 4.8v 2000ma reciever battery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Checking 4.8v 2000ma reciever battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM
hansvonpensch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking 4.8v 2000ma reciever battery

The questian needs calification. I am "used to using the bec" on the pro boat escs, but on this one boat, with 3, 700s and 3, pro boat escs, I disconnected the bec wires, I wish for now to use a reciever battery, 4.8v, 2000ma, I don't "think" I want to wait for the boat to start acting up, before I recharge the reciever battery, and I don't want to charge the battery every time before use. Questian how can I check the reciever battery. T hanks, Randy.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 PM
mrbassman

Default RE: Checking 4.8v 2000ma reciever battery

You need a voltmeter that can also put the battery under a load. Hanger 9 makes a tester for that.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:15 AM
hansvonpensch

I have a multi meter and have used it for many things. What is the magic voltage number I would look for, I can get all kinds of readings all day long, what I dont know is the voltage number reading I need to look for, before I recharge.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:52 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The magic number for four cells is basically anything over 5 volts. Then connect a heavy load, say a 2.2 ohm 10 watt resistor for a few seconds and check the new voltage reading under load. If a minimal drop is shown (should still be above 5V), there is plenty of life in the battery, but of course the battery is discharging all the time the load is connected.
If using NimHs, no harm is done by recharging early, and the alleged memory effect associated with NiCads is just that in my experience - alleged. Every time I have had a close look at a set of NiCads suffering "memory" it has turned out to be one dud cell in the pack.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
rmdesignworks

I used an analog volt meter from an old Futaba Transmitter hooked in series with the receiver so that at a quick glance I could tell the status of my cells...full charge tests and run down tests were done so I would know when to bring out the charger. These small volt meters are similar to the ones I have seen on electronic websites for like $2.00 dollars a piece. A bar indicator would also work made from L.E.D.'s wired in series allowing full voltage (4.8 volts @ 1500 or 2000 mah) search the web for (battery indicator or voltage indicator) also try looking for S.M.D. or Surface Mount Devices your search should turn up volt meters designed for mounting directly to printed circuit boards,,,,wire accordingly. Just make sure you find one in the voltage range you are looking for with the meter's max voltage being around 6 volts. One site to check is Stanley Supply at www.stanleysupplyservices.com

Good Luck,,Thomas @ rmdesignworks