Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Electric Pontoon Boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Electric Pontoon Boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
matthew__ruane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Pontoon Boat

I'm thinking about making a scratch built pontoon boat. The electronics will be from an Apache 24. I have access to a 3D Printer and 3D Modeling software that I can use to build and "print" a pair of completely identical pontoons. The frame will probably be composed of epoxy coated balsa wood, with the two pontoons mounted in some fashion. All the scale junk on top will come together eventually, but I'm mostly interested in getting a functioning boat at the moment.

I'm leaning towards the drive & steering systems from either the Proboat Apache 24 or Widowmaker. I will have the help of one Manufacturing Engineer, one Computer Engineer (who is teaching me how to use the 3D modeling program) and a third who isn't a certified engineer, but teaches an engineering design class. If anyone has some idea's to add to this, or some advice, please share it.

This will probably be a long term project, as I don't have any money at my disposal for the electronics at the moment.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
matthew__ruane

Default RE: Electric Pontoon Boat

The Pontoons and mount have both been modeled on the computer, time will tell as to if and when I can actually get them made.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 AM
sleeper607

couple of ideas. there is pretty cheap aluminum used for the valley of house roofs avaible at any hardware store. or copper pipe or sheets of metal from mcmaster carr. for the pontoons. I would look at getting the electronics first or even just all the measurements. so you dont end up building something that cant fit the required stuff to make it move. most hardware stores have aluminum u channel and angle to build the deck. I would look at one sheet of  regular 1/8" ply and coating that it will be stronger to attach the pontoons to and probly cheeper.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM
cooperfly

Why not PVC pipe for the pontoons - you could paint it also
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
matthew__ruane

I've done a lot more planning since the first post. I plan to use all the electronics from Pro-boats Apache, and the steerable outdrive as well.

The deck will most likely be made out of ply. I'm going to convert the picture to a format supported by RCU sometime, so expect that.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
ryanwilson277

why would you use an outdrive that is so not scale

a thought [link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=48[/link]
Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
stackeddeck

PVC pontoons seems easiest and most definitely cheapest. Then you could make the deck out of balsa and spend more time on the roof. Since pontoon boat's roofs are usually metal you could try the aluminum sheet idea with some brass tubing or something to hold it up. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Larryds

I am currently building one made from PVC pipes, 1/4 inch plexi glass for the deck. Using outboard from Mack products.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM
matthew__ruane

Cause I'm fifteen and this is all still in the planning stage.

I've gotten the Pontoons and deck both modeled, gonna get a picture up soon hopefully.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
themissinglink

I would suggest Central Vacuum Hard Piping for the Pontoons.

It is PVC, and the wall thickness is about 3/32" instead of the heavier Schedule 80 plumbing type of PVC Piping.

Fill those with pour foam, or even Spray Can foam. You can easily shape the foam and fiberglass over it with Polyester or Vinylester resin.

Aluminum "U" Channel around a peice of 1/4" marine ply for the deck.

You mention that you're 15, and on a budget.

These items could be bought from a local hardware store and put together for a reasonable amount of cash.

Good luck. Remember the 3 F's in life.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Matthew:

For supplies, try surplus stores, as you can often get used or even damaged-but-usable parts for cheap or free (dumpster-diving is often worthwhile!)

For the vacuum piping, try used appliance places. I got replacement hoses for my 'found-&-repaired' vacuums there, and they've been 'eating' sawdust and fibreglas for 15+ years now!

Another option for fill-able tubing is the thin vinyl roll-hose many pool places have for backwash discharge. A pool maintenance company may be able to give you a chunk they are tossing (or a pool-display warehouse) I also picked up some wonderful clear 1.5" tube that came packed with jelly-beans (it would be great in a diorama as a transport tube, like in Logan's Run...)

If you want a super-cheap fill for the pipe instead of the Expand-a-foam insulating stuff, try one of those long pool/beach float things that is bendable, & stuff it inside the tube. It can be cut down using a suitably-sized tin can as a circular die-cutter.

A few years ago I acquired some surplus aircraft pontoons for a recovery boat project (yet another un-finished project) at the local yearly R/C aircraft auction for $5. Ask about when your local club holds theirs (of they have a for-Sale/Wanted board)

As for electronics... eBay always has units available. If you could get buy with a pair of 380-powered drives, one of the surplus mini-buggy radios from a Losi would be perfect.

When you let your mind wander, the possibilities tend to open up. Brainstorming with people who aren't into R/C models often leads to very unique solutions... or are just into other R/C fields (like cars/planes/etc.)

WhiteWolf
Ottawa, Canada
Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 AM
daveswall

Matthew a company named Zigans Woodcrafts in paso robles,ca. has plans for a 30" pontoon boat. there adress is:
Zigan's Woodcrafts
4655 Silver Saddle Lane
Paso Robles, Ca. 93446
I hope this helps.
Dave
Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 PM
daveswall

matthew I found zigans phone number
[805]238-7846 call and he can give you more imformation.
Dave