RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4688536-unofficial-home-dumas-dauntless.html)

Rich404 08-28-2012 06:59 PM

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

OOOOOhh...I love the Dauntless trivia!! I pick C

We need to do more of this!! ;)

-Rich.

Rich404 08-28-2012 07:17 PM

What was Dauntless's length waterline?

A) 62'

B) 65'

C) 65'10"

D) 66'

-Rich.

On another note...

I cut out the wood for the new motor mounts. One mount is assembled and covered in epoxy. I am going to do the next after this post.

The motor mounts were made so that they have a few features in mind. First, they will be able to screw right over the Kroker motor mounts so that I don't have to rip em' out. Second, the Kroker mounts are already set to the incline of the shaft. It should only be plug & play for the motor mounts. And third, folks, there is a real possibility that I may want to score another pair of Astro 25's to connect to these motors. If I do decide to do that the mounts were made extra long so that it will be very little work to add another mount to the existing platform and connect the second pair of motors in tandem.

The motor mounts are being made in the same fashion as Dauntlessfans, only longer. Pics will come soon.

Once the sea trials are concluded there is almost a definite possibility that the Krokers will be sold. So if any of you have ever wanted one really badly come with your best offer. I think the a Kroker would be great for a runabout of other nice woody that doesn't weigh a ton. For what it's worth they did good in the Dauntless & I could easily run a waterpump to get the water to those motors.But I don't think that 1/2HP is enough for my boat. Had I had another pair of Krokers she would have rocked with those but scoring a pair is nearly impossible and I would have to sell a kidney to buy them. So Astro 25's it is.

-Rich.

Rich404 08-28-2012 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi captains,

Being that you are a visual bunch, here are some pics for your entertainment. We have the Astroflight Super-Ferrite 25's which are new old stock. I bought these brand new just before they were discontinued.Thesemotors are awesome for the big cruisers. I traded off theextra 25's in my war chest so I will have to score another pair if they are needed.

Then we have the motor mounts. All the wood was cut and assembled with the first coat of epoxy. After this I am going to sand, shape the mounts and give it a hearty coat of epoxy for strength. After that, more light sanding and a military gray epoxy gel coat goes on.

So now, the mounts will cureuntil tomorrow evening which is enough time to make them nice & strong.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ades_smile.gif

-Rich.

dauntlessfan 08-28-2012 07:58 PM

Is it A? Guessing the length published (66 ft) is the absolute longest so it would be measured at the bow lip then to stern, so at waterline would be a few feet less?

Rich if the motor mounts you're making tonight are anywhere near as beefy as the ones you made for my boat, they'll each hold onto dual Astros no problemo!! BTW judging by the specs, the Astro 25s should make your boat scream across the water!

Sound Sailor 08-29-2012 02:22 AM

Rich, if needed I still haven't used the 25s. Those motors are very heavy and your boat already is a ton so adding another pair of motors would only compound the weight issue IMHO. Also your batteries were not giving the full voltage the motors are rated for were they?

As for DF question, invariably it is the owner that selects the name for a vessel. Notice on S&S site, if the vessel is not designed for a specific owner, the design just has a number.

Bill

Rich404 08-29-2012 05:53 AM

Hi Dauntlessfan....Correct, the Answer is (A) she is 62' at the length waterline.

The mounts will be made to the vigerous standards that yours were made. They will easlily hold up the 25's.

Hi Bill,

My hope is that one pair of 25's will be enough. I agree that the Astros are heavy and will add to the weight issue but it will help in the performance department. I do however have a 10oz lead weight sitting in the stern. I think it's safe to say that I can remove it and lightenup her stern a bit. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gifEver hear the ol' sayin' 'get the lead out your *****'... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

Now that I know how heavy she is I am going to find ways to lighten up her furniture when I begin installing them.

BTW..When are you going to put the Astros in your boat? I think you are going to like them!

The Krokers are rated for 12V and I used fully charged 11.1V LIPOS. This means that she was running @ 12.6V. I think itwas because the motors were too small for this big girl.. I'm sure they would have been fine in a stock Dauntless. If I do conclude that I need another pair of 25's I can get them even if I have to barter a Kroker towards a partial trade.

Also Bill to your point, you are correct, S&S has a stock number assigned for each boat. The numbering sequence is consecutive and began with design number 1. The Dauntless was design number 621 and today they are in the thousands..

The cool thing is that you can tell them that you want number 621 built and they can easily pull it up. I am keeping this in mind for when I hit mega millions Lotto... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

-Rich.

Rich404 08-29-2012 06:10 AM

Hi captains,

The sea trials for the 25's should happen this weekend.

-Rich.

dauntlessfan 08-29-2012 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added the ship's bell last night. Funny I told myself I'd put this boat away for a while and work on other hobbies... not as easy as I thought:).

Rich404 08-29-2012 10:38 AM

Hi Dauntlessfan, I love the ships bell! It's a very nice addition! It seems the Dauntless has the same grip on you as it does on me...It's very difficult to pull away from her. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was going to lay off her for a while and here I am making motor mounts and trying to getem' done for a weekend run...so much for that!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

-Rich.

Rich404 08-29-2012 01:47 PM

Hi Dauntlessfan,

BTW..the details on your boat are looking fabulous!

-Rich.

deep sky 08-29-2012 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi captains well i started the molding today sanded until one of my arms fell off ha ha anyway looking better

rblubaugh 08-29-2012 07:39 PM

<font size="3">Deep,

Really looking sharp.  Nice smooth lines.  Beautiful.

Bob</font><br type="_moz"/>

Rich404 08-29-2012 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: deep sky

hi captains well i started the molding today sanded until one of my arms fell off ha ha anyway looking better
Very nice!!! When your arm falls off it means that you are doing it right!!! Just glue it back on and keep going...that's what I did!! ;)

-Rich.

rblubaugh 08-30-2012 06:51 AM

<font size="3">Has any one else noticed the icon at the bottom accompanied by a string of 1600 +"Video" icons across the bottom of the "</font><font size="3">Subscription: RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless</font><font size="3">" message?  I have been seeing this this and can't help but wonder if this is the reason behind the slowdown, at least for me, between the time I click on the string to bring me to the forum and the 70 to 90 seconds later when the forum message finally becomes visible on the screen.  Could all of these video icons be loading prior to the forum page the string is pointing too?  I certainly DO NOT want all of these videos loading in the first place.  If I want to see one of them I will go to it.  I even tried signing out of you tube, but it made no difference.

This could also be the reason for the slow down in the RCU over all especially in the picture upload problems some of you are experiencing and the long delay in uploading messages.

Anyone got any ideas?

Bob </font>
<div id="yui_3_2_0_12_134633661572540" class="pp_provider_logo pp_btn pp_youtube"> </div><h3>Uploads by rcuniverse<span class="pp_photo_owner">  By RC Universe</span><span class="pp_photo_count">| 1607 videos</span>
</h3>

RussellWeb 08-30-2012 09:09 AM

www.youtube.com/watch

Hi captains thought you might like to see my Dauntless in the Uk</p>

Rich404 08-30-2012 09:59 AM

Very nice Russell!!! Welcome aboard!! If you want to add photos and join us in discussions please do!! What motors are you using in your boat? She runs nice!

-Rich.

Rich404 08-30-2012 10:11 AM

Hi Bill,

I just got back from Binney Park in Old Greenwich CT. I must say that it is very nice!! I did note that there were some of the largest freshwater turtles in there that I had ever seen. I wouldn't want to strike one of those at high speeds. The old cobble stone walk bridges were especially nice and I can't help but to imagine the Dauntless crossing under a few of them. The fact that it is 5 min away from my job makes it even sweeter.

The pond seems a bit low though but hopefully with autumn on it's way it will be filled back up to normal levels. It is still sailable though.

Perhaps we can meet up there next week?

Hi captains,

Last night I added some supports and gave the motor mounts another good coat of epoxy. Tonight I am going to start fitting them and get them ready to paint and mount the motors.

Last night I also removed the Krokers and when I remobed the water line I blew in the water jacket to see how free the air flowed. Well I found out that they were clogged so no water was going to flow. This explains a lot. The motor jackets are designed to be opened up and cleaned but I have a potential buyer so rather than possibly scratch them I would rather the next person do it. If I don't sell them then I will likely clean them in the future.

The Astros are not yet watercooled so for the time being I rerouted the motor lines to run straight out of the exhaust pipe. Perhaps we will see if there is a change in the water flow.

So far the Dauntless is on schedule for a weekend run. ;)

-Rich.

Sound Sailor 08-30-2012 10:41 AM

Hi Rich,
The water was down huh? Better that than this..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0quwKlnK03s

Bill

Rich404 08-30-2012 10:51 AM

That I exactly how I want to see the pond filled!! ;)

-Rich.

RussellWeb 08-30-2012 10:54 AM

Hi Rich 404
Im running on 2x800s on seperate speed controllers and a 12v gel cell ive been reading your threads and feel ive really got to know you and all the other capts keep up the good work Russell

Sound Sailor 08-30-2012 11:03 AM

Hi Russell, welcome aboard. Your boat runs really well and looks killer also!
Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

RichI have 2-208Ds coming for Dauntless. Found a hobby store had them new for less than retail.
That park brings back many fond memories. I skated there throughout my youth. Course that was back in the ice age! :)
Just put 12v cells in Claws so going to run over to the test pond now.

Bill

Rich404 08-30-2012 11:08 AM

Hi Russell,

It's great to have a new member to our Dauntless crew. There is so much to learn about the full sized yacht here.

Hi Bill,

It is a picturesque park. It will be nice for photos and GREAT for an onboard video. I can imagine Dauntlless cruising under the cobblestone bridges already! I can't wait to do it.

-Rich.

RussellWeb 08-30-2012 11:24 AM

Hi sound sailor thanks for your comments on my dauntless ive already picked up some new ideas from Rich watching his building threads . there does not seem to be many dauntless/s over here and it is good to hear you guys and all your good ideas . wish i was near enough to get to your picnics sound really good

Sound Sailor 08-30-2012 12:02 PM

Russell, Rich andI belong to a scale rc boat club that is based in Queens ( part of New York City) although we live in different counties. For myselfI am about 40 miles away.The club sails all different rc boats on Sundays in a nice park. Once a month there is a picnic at the sail. It is really great to get together with others with the same hobby.
Scale boating seems to be more popular there in the UK and you might find a club reasoably close by to sail with. Rich has a couple of other boats and I have 8, two of which are sail.
Also, I am retired and Rich works about 12 miles away fom my home so we sometimes get together and run the boats on his extended lunch break.
Glad you came aboard!

Bill

RussellWeb 08-30-2012 12:35 PM

Hi Bill
Thanks for the message im also retired 2 years ago the boat was a present from my son on my retirement and it took 18 months to make 1st time id built one quite pleased with the outcome {it didnt sink }. a few of us meet at Fleetwood once or twice a week and in summer we get quite alot of people watching us then its a cup of tea and fish and chips . we do swap ideas but there is nothing like the threads you have going and it is great to watch and learn from the experts {no pun intended} .like some of you who are running the same boat {Dauntless} as myself .and over here we dont get the warm weather you do its usually raining in the north of the uk .keep up the good work RUSSELL