RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4688536-unofficial-home-dumas-dauntless.html)

dauntlessfan 10-29-2012 06:56 AM

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

1 Attachment(s)
And lastly I added seat cushions to match the rest of the boat. Now it's ready for final paint. Easy peazy!

Hydro Junkie 10-29-2012 07:42 PM

Rich, I hope all is good with you and yours with Sandy beating up the place. Being in the Boston area for the "festivities" wasn't a picnic so I can just imagine how much rougher it was further south. The hotel the wife and I are staying in has taken some roof and internal water damage due to high winds and heavy rain but, compared to what we've seen on TV, it's minor compared to what's been happening in NY and NJ

rblubaugh 10-30-2012 12:42 PM

<font size="3">Rich and Bill,

I hope and pray you and your families are all in good health with the passing of Sandy over the New York and New Jersey area's.  It has been devastating for everyone in your area and I know it could be several days before we hear from you.  None the less, you and all of the modelers in the area plus all the other residents are in our prayers for a fast recovery from the terrible hurricane.

God Bless,

Bob </font>

dauntlessfan 10-30-2012 03:06 PM

Yes Rich and Bill hope you guys were spared any loss during the storm and are safe & sound!

Rich404 10-31-2012 08:05 AM

Thanks captains,

I made it through ok. I lost power at my home and have no idea when it will be restored. We are located on the side of a hill and the stormslammed the otherside and literally went over our property. The sound of the wind and seeing the clouds flying overhead was insane!! It sounded like a horror movie but luckily no damage.

Many of my friends and family were not as lucky because they live so close to the ocean.

-Rich.

deep sky 11-01-2012 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi captains i hope all is well with everyone .here are the latest pix got some paint on nothing in the cockpit is nailed down yet i think shes starting to look like a boathttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

rblubaugh 11-02-2012 06:56 AM

<font size="3">Rich,

Thankful you and family are O.K. and hope the extended family and friends will be o.k. overall too.

Deep,

Paint makes a big difference; she's really looking good.  Like the <font size="3">pinnacle and throttle controls</font> on your control console.

Bob</font><br type="_moz"/>

deep sky 11-03-2012 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi captains i bought this esc for my dauntless it is a 30 amp with a 90 amp short term stall i cant seem to find a mate so im going to sell it and buy a mached pair does anyone have any good ideas for what to buy

dauntlessfan 11-03-2012 08:43 PM

DS I need a good pair of ESCs too. Must haves for me are 30+ amp rating, 12 volt input and reverse. This is my short list:

Tio (Mtroniks) Marine 30 - 30 amps continuous, 6-12v input, $56.95
Viper (Mtroniks) Marine 40 - 40 amps continuous, 6-12v input, $63.95
Astroflight 208D - 35 amps continuous, 6-18v input, $96.25
Ace BLC-60 Water Cooled - 60 amps continuous, 6-18 input, $104.99

deep sky 11-06-2012 10:19 AM

does anyone know if the traxxas evx-2 esc would be a good esc for 700s in dauntless

dauntlessfan 11-06-2012 11:35 AM

Deep Sky - maybe if you use two EVX-2's but probaby not good to use just one. The owner's manual and website states it's rated for two 550 or 540 motors, or a single 700-size motor in the Summit. Now if I go online I can find forums where dual 700-sized motors are used with the EVX-2 for RC trucks sucessfully. Trucks have different power and cooling needs than the Dauntless. So I don't think it's worth the expense/risk.

Also, remember the original EVX is what I just tried in my Dauntless. It ran very very hot, and my two 700's destroyed my Traxxas EVX on the third run. Yes the EVX specs are a little lower than EVX-2, but still a very similar speed control so I wouldn't recommend it. Best to just get two ESCs that can easily handle the boat's big motors and breathe easy at the pond. Just my opinion[8D].

deep sky 11-06-2012 05:04 PM

i was thinking of buying 2 1 for each motor

dauntlessfan 11-06-2012 05:21 PM

Yes I think they'd work fine if you buy two and use one for each motor. Heck you could go all the way up to 16 volts with the EVX-2 [X(].

deep sky 11-06-2012 05:42 PM

thats the plan

Rich404 11-07-2012 01:55 PM

I hope all is well with Bill. I have not heard from him since before the storm began.

Bill...give us a shout to let us know that you are ok!!

-Rich.

deep sky 11-09-2012 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi caps here is the latest headway got cockpit deck layed a long way to go starting to look better the planks were a pain

Sound Sailor 11-10-2012 05:03 AM

<div id="post_message_23231096">I'm still around after 10 days of no power and 11 days no internet/cable. (just got the net right now) My property ,luckily, recieved minor damage . The house next to me had a 36" diameter pine tree fall on it. It stood 25' from my house but went in their direction. Another house in town had a tree fall on it killng two preteens. We have had down trees and telephone poles blocking roads until 2 days ago. We had the National Guard helping clear roads, etc and the local fire station provided dry ice and hot showers. Most of the damage came from very large pine trees that coud not stand up to Sandy's winds.

It is interesting how we have become so reliant on power and the net. There is not much to do on nights that are getting longer but I kept busy working on a new build duing the hours there was enough light.

Anyway it's good to be back amongst civilization.
Cheers all
Bill</div><! / message >

rblubaugh 11-10-2012 07:59 AM

<font size="3">Bill,

GREAT to be hearing from you and very happy you escaped serious damages.  So very sorry about your neighbor's in town however; I can not imagine loosing two children.  Everything else is repairable damage even if inconvenient.

Deep,

The decking looks real nice.  In those tight confines I can only imagine the difficulty of laying those small strips of decking but the effort was worth it.

Bob</font><br type="_moz"/>

deep sky 11-10-2012 10:15 PM

hi caps i was able to get 2 evx-2s for a good price now im wondering if my recever is only a 2 chanel and each one is pluged in to it where does the steering plug in can i wire them together and use 1 plug or do i need to get a 3-4 chanel raido set

dauntlessfan 11-11-2012 07:41 AM

Deep - Other captians please check my math on this but I think you'll use a y-connector to connect two ESCs to the throttle output of your Rx.

Make sure to disconnect one of the positive Rx battery elimination circuit (BEC) wires from either (one) of the ESCs so the Rx is only powered from one source.

Sound Sailor 11-11-2012 08:53 AM

DF is correct on both counts. When disconnecting the BEC power lead on one rcvr rather than just cutting it you can lift the little pin in the side opening of the plug and just pull the lead out of the plug. Turn it back and put a small piece of tape over it. This is less permenant if you ever want to use the the esc elsewhere.

Bill

deep sky 11-12-2012 10:50 PM

hi caps well i got all my motors escs and ordered a servo y 2 graupner 700 speed bb turbo 9.6 motors 2 Traxxas EVX2 16.8 ESCs about the only thing left is batterys i want togo with the aux lighting batterys but i dont know where to buy them any ideashttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif

Rich404 11-13-2012 08:30 AM

Hey Deep...Auxillary (lighting) batteries are not good for high discharge motors. You will end up running the boat for a few minutes and the battery will appear dead. Then, when you bring the boat home it will suddenly appear charged and ready to go again. This is because the auxillary battery won't be able to keep up with the demand of the motors. In the end it will be a waste of money.

Don't waste money...GO NIMH..and don't look back...

-Rich.

deep sky 11-13-2012 09:22 AM

thanks Rich WHAT KIND OF CONBO DO I NEED 1 12 VOLT PER MOTOR 2 6 VOLT PER MOTOR 1 12 VOLT FOR ALL ?

Rich404 11-13-2012 10:29 AM

Use (2) 12V NIMH batteries..

-Rich.