RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   My first scratch build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/9656597-my-first-scratch-build.html)

dirtslinger321 04-12-2010 08:46 PM

My first scratch build

1 Attachment(s)
As I am just starting out I have posted a few pictures of my first scratch build in my gallery. Though I have a fair amount of skill shaping and working with fiberglass I have never built a boat. I decided to scale down a drawing of a Flats boat I designed in order to see if my theories would work. The plug is 45 3/4" long and 16" wide semi tri hull. Any input from others is appreciated.

5/24/10 New Pics, I am just about ready to start building molds, If anyone is interested I will (after testing and tweeking) have them for sale in any stage of completion. with or without power,gas,nitro, and electric.<br type="_moz" />

DONS BOAT WORKS 04-12-2010 09:15 PM

RE: My first scratch build

I'm watching...

Deathwish 04-12-2010 09:22 PM

What we Building? :)

dirtslinger321 04-12-2010 09:45 PM

It's a 1/6) th. scale version of a flatts fishing boat that I would love to build the real thing.I live near the Indian river in cent. fl. and a big boat that can go in shallow water is highly sought. So I decided to build a scale plug and then I'll make a mold. It seems to becomingalong nicely All myexperiencehas been on very large fiberglass objects ( Waterslides, lift stations etc.) This my first scale job anddefinitely my first boat I have a K&amp;B 7.5 outboard (maybe too much) for it. And I'm working on the radio gear. I have to say I am having a blast!!! Why did I wait so long to do it?

mitchlandry 04-12-2010 11:04 PM

Awesome, definitely watching this one. I have thought about doing a scale shoalwater cat, but haven't made it farther than a thought.

dirtslinger321 04-13-2010 03:14 PM

Get to it! I can't wait till payday to buy some more materials. I should be in gel-coat by Sunday........ Maybe!

dirtslinger321 04-17-2010 04:24 PM

I have posted some new pics in "MY GALLERY"

dirtslinger321 05-29-2010 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started building the molds today The first being the scale poling platform, It separated perfectly as will the rest I hope. There will be five molds in all The hull, deck, access cover, poling platform. and center console, Almost ready to go into production.

dirtslinger321 05-31-2010 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started the deck mold today I just gotta put one more layer of 1.5 oz matt on it and it will be ready to trim and separate.

dirtslinger321 06-01-2010 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the deck mold coming off the plug with almost no effort...... whew