Reload this Page >

Need tips on sub to static-dive in icy water

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Need tips on sub to static-dive in icy water

Old 02-27-2022, 09:19 PM
CarterClarke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To go diving in "cold water" with a wetsuit, you usually have to be very cold-tolerant. If you're cold-tolerant, you'll likely start to shiver or even lose your sense of where you are. As with "cold water," everyone has a different tolerance for cold water. Having sealed gloves, a dry hood, a full face mask, and an extra thermal layer helped me stay warm when I was in sea water that was 38 F. All of that made it hard for me to move, reach, hear, and be nimble because I was overprotected and didn't know how to adapt to diving in cold water in a new way. When I was outside, I was wearing a dry suit that had a thick hood and gloves made from a wetsuit. I also had one layer of thermal underwear and gloves that were heated inside my mittens. If I need to be more dexterous, I could take off the gloves for a short time.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:07 AM
Gato.Submarine

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarterClarke
To go diving in "cold water" with a wetsuit, you usually have to be very cold-tolerant. If you're cold-tolerant, you'll likely start to shiver or even lose your sense of where you are. As with "cold water," everyone has a different tolerance for cold water. Having sealed gloves, a dry hood, a full face mask, and an extra thermal layer helped me stay warm when I was in sea water that was 38 F. All of that made it hard for me to move, reach, hear, and be nimble because I was overprotected and didn't know how to adapt to diving in cold water in a new way. When I was outside, I was wearing a dry suit that had a thick hood and gloves made from a wetsuit. I also had one layer of thermal underwear and gloves that were heated inside my mittens. If I need to be more dexterous, I could take off the gloves for a short time.
You do know this is about an RC submarine and not SCUBA diving, right? Unless I missed something.