Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

THE NEPTUNE MODS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
AQUASUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE NEPTUNE MODS

Hello here I will post all of the modifications I have made to this great sub.It is by far the best platform to make majormodifications to improve its already in general good design.

It is built very robustly to be reliable without being cumbersome or over engeneered,simple yet complex todo some prety complex things like a perfect hover,that alone is dificult for most mass produced subs,the quality isalso very good,parts no problem ,Ilike them so much that I will use many of them in future subs like the main control board it can be used in any pump type sub and iether a Futabaor JR radio of 4 channelsto 12 can be used perfectly, YA thats great the board has several great features ,bult in failsafes are signal loss,low battery voltage and water detction all make the sub surface untill corrected or reset with power switch.You dont need the power board but it can be used as well.

Well I can say that I have modified this thing to the max over the past few years and have loved doing them and useing them as well,I use this sub mostly on the clear rivers in Florida and often take her very deep into cave springs hence the "inhancements",out of the box it just would not do,I want or need long run times,it takes 2 hours by boat just to get to some of my favorite places to run so she must run long, an hour or more hence the larger battery then now the 2ea 5700mah Lipos they should give plenty of run time !
Larger single kurtknozle /rudder was added ,largger forward dive plains,planetary gear drive,improved bushing stuffing box not a ring seal type.
See list below.

1 Larger forward Dive plains
2 Larger battery
3 Planetary 6.5 to 1 gearbox
4 Water cooled motor
5 Trimed down aft plains
6 Larger prop and Kurtknozle /rudder
7 25 or so LEDs for knight use and cave runs
8 remote on off of the above LEDs
9 Remte controlled on demand variable bow thrusters made with Lego technics
10 Easy acsses port for ventilation or fuse replacement
11 Added a inline waterfilter or fuel filter so that the pump is protected

New add mods
11 2 each Lipo 5700 amp h with ballance extention cable to vent port for easy charging
13 Added 2 kurt knozles with 2 brass simitar counter rotating props on one ESC with 2 ea. 3.5 to 1 gear boxes and 2 u joints and 2 high speed can motors.
14 Stern servos moved to underneath motors ,no rudder rod on top of the stern as before.
15 brass tube bushings for prop shafts
16 2 rudders directly aft of props on the kurt knozles
17 Aft dive plains redone for dual props
18 90 degree Tilting color fish eye camara
19 mechanism for tilting the camara
20 Verticle stabalizer enlarged and keel fin also enlarged
21 Pinted to suit multy color special Automotive durable paint with clear coat
22 Added antenas for looks...
23 Removed charging jacks not needed for Lipos but space for above mods
24 Military cannon plug for watertight electrical connections of LEds and video unit that run in the wet
25 Added 10 channel JR reciever for enhancements and extentions with labeled ends of reciever channels for future video overlay system.
26 One way ventilation or overpressure valve so that compressed air will not harm saels or cassing very important.
27 Dual brass and oillite bushings stuffing boxes with grease ensures 0 leakage.
28 Removed and then replaced the camara off on switch and used it in the construction of the tilting camarras mechanism,a stainlesteel bolt was put in place of the switch seal unit.
29 The aft diveplains seal on top of the aft area is free to rotate and will later be used for a rottating radar??stil to be seen.
30 Voltage and temp indicator on side visable when sub is turned on
31 Voltag can be read from outside without turning on the sub at all times and is off when sub is on so that electolissis does not build up.

Well thats about it so far the viids will show how she operates without the cassing as I have not re ballanced the sub yet which is a snap with this sub.
I will explain more on how each of these where made in the future but if you have any questions just post or PM me Thanks

Dave Amur Sub Yard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xVg...2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2SAJ...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOYC...1&feature=plcp

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
AQUASUB

Default RE: THE NEPTUNE MODS

This is the switch shaft seal parts that I used for the camara tilting mechanism as it passes threw the front bulkhead,tecknick saft adapter and good ca make the connection very strong !The stainless shaft is under 2mm and fits snugly into the tecknick adapter.

The threaded part was cut down so that it fits with the arm when the bulkhead is installed.Arms are reused or get new ones.

These parts can be used for many aplications for other subs,examples are servo rod passthrew,rotating switch,masts operation radar ecetra,shaft drives,electrical yes when used in tandem and switched off while in water.??Seals are simitar industrial grade and are available in sets!nice parts and cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62782.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1757251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99865.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1757252  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM
AQUASUB

I have just finished the instalation of the OSD PRO ,it is a small CB with several servo like pins on 2 sides ,it processes the output of the data E logger that must be used with it to display the programmed peramiters of several vital systems on this sub or any machine for that mater.It is located up on the front top side of the power board,there is plenty of space there for it even a small ESC is there as well for the Bow Thrusters,then servo like power cable goes to the E Logger unit which is located underneath the power board where the camarra off on switch had been just double tape it there,its safe and dry in case of a leak.All of the sensors plug into it so there must be some space left over and easy acsses is important as a USB cable is plugged into it as well as needed only for programming which is only done once or if one adds more sensors.Wherte it is now is good since all I have to do is unscrew the 4 screws that hold the power board in place and out it all comes with extra extention wires or servo extention wires and plugs its easy to hook it all up,each is marked .
I can tell you it is fantastic to see and know live in real time action the state and status of the submarine from motor RPM/temp,Prop RPM ,ESC temp,battery remaining in percent and current draw of even the individual servos and deflection if you like !One does not need to put it all on there, just what you want and on 6 pages viewable by remote control by the use of 2 aux channels..The programming is so easy just plug in your sensors like rpm,temp one, temp two and the OSD ,then the USB supplied cable to your Laptop or PC and follow the easy to do steps,it even automaticly updates and instals it firmware!
I perchased this unit 4 years ago and used on choppers then onto subs as well ,it had to have an update and it did it in a few secounds ,very good reliable and simple to use not junk at all,this comany makes the best for the money in my opinion and have never had any complaints,the website is eagletreesystems.com .
It took me about an hour to get all the perameters programed in and am still experimenting on others like a compass readout which it displays if you have the GPS hooked up but I was thinking of a regular digital magnetic one that I could take its place.But if I go with the GPS expander unit I will get that and tons of other usefull stuff like RADAR function and Home arow ya it tells you which way is home no mater where you are,another thing current time elapsed,GPS readuots,signal strenght.I am curiuse to see if the Altitude ladder you know on fighters Jets and aircraft in general there is this instrument ladder readout it moves on the right side of the OSD or Heads Up Screen ,I think it might work on a sub to show the up and down movement of the sub,I dont know just how far down into clear water GPS works but hey my daughters I Phone is in a water tight case it has GPS maybe she might help with the experiment ,right .....

Anyway the OSD is a must for ROV ops and without costing an arm and a leg it is installed in my sub/s .I will post a vid soon.

The vids show what I have done to the aft and front sections .

Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM
AQUASUB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj1qT...GMvd8qeaQ#t=0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDReI...layer_embedded

Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
AQUASUB

Here is a video showing the Eagle Tree Systems onscreen peramiters or sensors readouts that are on my Neptune sub.They are lower left prop speed in RPM fard and in revse.
Main battery votage hen RX voltage,top is the depth readoutit has not been connected yet soon will it will rise in numerick value as the sub dives and is extreamly accurate!
The 3 bars are the 3 battery level indicators that are available I only use one and have iliminated the rest in future runs,it will decrease in size and shows the persentage of battery life left like a gas gage nice!
Bottom is the motor temps ,reads dirrectly on the motor port side no need to sence the other motor.Then the ESC temperature ,both these readings have pree programed high temp alarms and trigger an alarm that is audible bepping and a text that says ESC is overheating slow down or stop ,I can make it say what ever I want same for the motor.
A very fun and easy way to know whats going on in your sub.Love it,later I might try the GPS system ,it has a huge host of stuff like a compass and home arrow readouts along with climbrate ladder ,just like a full scale ROV .
Also the tilting of the camarra gives excelent forward and below view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh-Oj...t=HL1338844178
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
AQUASUB

Here is a video of the depth gage indicator in action in my test tank.Notice how sensative the indication is ,it seems to be pritty close to mm's .
Depending on when and where the sub is turned on the base starting point of the depth gage starts its readout.

A simple way to display depth,by using the altimiter sensor of the eagletree systems telemitry system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aKF096697PE