RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Nikko Sea Wolf Range/Circuit board probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 AM
unclebuck1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nikko Sea Wolf Range/Circuit board probs

Hi all,
I am a newbee to this site and any other forum so bare with me.

I have a Nikko sea Wolf sub (band 6 27mhz) that appears to work but only from a couple of feet away. Which is of very little use in the water.
I have a little knowledge of these subs as i have a couple of runners too. Sea star, sea wolf.

I am after a circuit board diagram if any body has one to help me id stuff on it and possibly test it. i have substituited lots of things on the sub and have had limited success but have id the reciever sub as the problem.
As a previous post stated the older boards are different as i tried to put an old one from a sea explorer inwith no joy. (it also looks very different)

Any help in improving range of this sub would prevent me pulling out what little hair i have left.

As parts appear to be difficult to obtain has any body attempted to make the rubber nose cone seal out of liquid latex with any success ? Considering doing it myself once i ve worked out how to produce a good mould

Any other info on this sub, new parts availability and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 AM
Ramius-II

Default RE: Nikko Sea Wolf Range/Circuit board probs

Hi Unclebuck1!
27 Mhz is a very low frequency for use with subs as the required antenna lenght is really long (typically 109"). The other part is that 27Mhz is mostly used by CitizensBand radios so interference canbe a problem. Most submariners use 54Mhz or 75Mhz. Usually the receiving antenna follows the inside shape of the subs hull. I am not sure if by "circuit board" you mean a radio related device or if you are asking about instrumentation such as motor speed, temperatures, battery voltage and current, etc. You may also wish to visit: http://www.subcommittee.com/. The guys there are very helpful.

Best, Ed
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 AM
unclebuck1

Hi
thanks for the quick reply.
27mhz is the frequency that it came with i am afraid. However thanks for the advice on the other frequencies as that will be the way i will probably go when i get to the level of being able to re kit it out.
The circuit board that i refer to is the main control board which contains the reciever and loads of other things i am unable to id. i guess therefore a radio related device andthe "brains" of the sub. The sub consists of a rear motor for propulsion and a motor for diving (by dragging the sub down) and a servo for stearing. These all connect into the circuit board.
The sub is from the eighties and pool model and not really in the same league as my thundertiger neptune sb1. However it s quite good fun when operating correctly with a reasonable surface range but as you point out diving range quite limited but usable.
Thanks for the link to the sub commitee i have come across them before but have not contacted them. I will give them a try also
many thanks
unclebuck1
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Ramius-II

Hi Unclebuck1!
Sound like what you are working with is known as a "static dive" sub, that is no balast tanks to flood to cause it to dive. There really is no "circuit board" in such a model, servos and the motor speed controller, just plug directly into the receiver. Of course as time goes on I think you will find you will wish for and start building enhancements such as torpedoes and missiles, anda video camera. You may also start looking at "telemetry" systems to show motor RPM, angles of the rudder and stern dive planes, battery voltage, how much current (amps) you are using, temperatures of the motor, water, a compass, and just about any other kind of "useful" data you can imagine! One word of caution when it comes to missiles and torpedoes, stick with compressed air and do not be tempted to use model rocket motors. One guy used an Este rocket motor for his missiles. The missile did fire from underwater as rocket motors generate their own oxygen. The problem was that once the missile broke surface tention it make a quick left tuned over the fence, thru his neighbors screened in patio and set fire to the couch where his neighbor was taking a nap!

Best, Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30472.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	1759128