Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Submarines
Reload this Page >

Could ELF technology be employed for controlling model subs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Could ELF technology be employed for controlling model subs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Could ELF technology be employed for controlling model subs?

The navy uses it chiefly to talk to dived subs from command and control stations on land and on ships on the surface. It can curb salt-water attenuation better than other radio technologies commonly used above water.

http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/elf.htm

Due to the serious limitations of underwater WIRELESS communications, I am now finding submarine science quite interesting.

Conventional radio should work on RC subs restricted to swimming pool depths with clear freshwater as the medium for radio waves.

Would conventional RC radio waves penetrate the glass of city aquarium fish tanks? Is a large glass-wall water tank an ideal place
for RC hobby submariners to operate and clearly view their craft underwater?

Do RC subs also work well in city duck ponds?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:56 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm pretty sure ELF frequencies are too low for RC servo data rates,
Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Gato.Submarine

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R/C subs work well in a lot of different waters. The issue is dissolved particulate in the water. Salt water or brackish water some antenna needs to be let above the surface. Some pools that are heavily chlorinated do not allow good penetration and you may only get a foot or two under. That being said, in a lightly chlorinated pool, running the sub at 8' from the far side of the pool is not an issue. We run in the MHz range - and are limited by country what frequencies we can use. GHz will not work. How deep? The joke is all the way to the bottom, but in reality most run from a few inches under to a few feet under. I know some guys that can run their subs down 20-40 feet, but that is an exception, not the rule (and the northern lake was crystal clear). If you intend to use video, and FPV, then you will need to run a tether to the surface and communicate that way. Then your depth is restricted to the design of the sub or the length of cable you are using.

You went from not interested in joining SubCommittee because you have no desire to run one to being intrigued by subs. Again, I will suggest you check out subcommittee.com, even the home page has links and a basic primer. It costs you nothing and for the primer, you do not have to register.