Arkmodel Type VII

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Arkmodel Type VII

Old 08-24-2018, 06:44 AM
Scaleman3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arkmodel Type VII

Have been into R/C for years and thought I would like to move ( or at least try ) subs. Looking at this one, seems to be good size, can be R/C or static which is good for now but my main question is can it be watertight when the hull is put together if you fill in any seams it may have or I'm I going to have leakage, I. E. from the shafts or bow plain areas? Plan on making it just a surface runner and trying to stay away from the WTC for now, maybe add later. Any thoughts and any helpful Ideas? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Gato.Submarine

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen several built up as an R/C submarine. However, I have not seen one with a dry hull. All had a wtc (Water Tight Cylinder or Container). That way the weight of taking a massive amount of buoyancy does not make the sub a back breaker. The beauty of the Arkmodel is you can go crazy detailing it or not either way you end up with a gorgeous submarine. Sub-Driver.com or Subcommittee.com would be good reference sources for you.
on September 8th there will be a sub run near you. See posting on this list. I live a bit east of you in Las Vegas, but in your area are several R/C sub guys.

Last edited by Gato.Submarine; 08-24-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Scaleman3

30 reviews and 1 reply, I think you guys thought one was "For Sale" LOL , NO, just your thoughts and Ideas, HUUMMM.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:44 AM
Gato.Submarine

To be fair, I think many people are curious about r/c submarines, but few make that step to build one or want to gather more information before they do. So, when people visit a page, they are just seeing what was posted. Which brings up, when you start building this, post pictures and explanations on what you are doing. You never know who will be inspired by your postings. I post my successes and mistakes so all can learn. Plus there are those with a lot more knowledge that can offer tips.
Here are some of my past builds:1/72 Revell Gato Build

1/72 Revell Moebius Skipjack

1/35 Bronco Type XXIII

Now the Type IX was put on hold as I built my Walrus, but here is a link to it

1/72 Revell Type IX C (U505)

Consider posting your build here or at another site or all, it helps our hobby.
Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your progress.
Peace,
Tom
Old 08-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Scaleman3

Originally Posted by Gato.Submarine
To be fair, I think many people are curious about r/c submarines, but few make that step to build one or want to gather more information before they do. So, when people visit a page, they are just seeing what was posted. Which brings up, when you start building this, post pictures and explanations on what you are doing. You never know who will be inspired by your postings. I post my successes and mistakes so all can learn. Plus there are those with a lot more knowledge that can offer tips.
Here are some of my past builds:1/72 Revell Gato Build

1/72 Revell Moebius Skipjack

1/35 Bronco Type XXIII

Now the Type IX was put on hold as I built my Walrus, but here is a link to it

1/72 Revell Type IX C (U505)

Consider posting your build here or at another site or all, it helps our hobby.
Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your progress.
Peace,
Tom
Great job Tom,

Looked at this sub as a build a few weeks ago and WOW after looking at your build it is a lot of work! Modified a PT boat a few years back and that was nothing after looking at this. Is Caswell still selling sub stuff, didn't see on their web site, and D&E, sold to Nautilus Drydocks?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Gato.Submarine

Caswell sold to Nautilus Drydocks. D&E is still owned by David Merriman. He does sell the Sub-Driver through Nautilus Drydocks.
There is a lot of work getting a sub to work, but it is also one of the most rewarding. I have done planes, trucks, and boats.
The great part is you have some great people to help you in your area!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:41 AM
Scaleman3

Caswell sold to Nautilus Drydocks. D&E is still owned by David Merriman. He does sell the Sub-Driver through Nautilus Drydocks.
There is a lot of work getting a sub to work, but it is also one of the most rewarding. I have done planes, trucks, and boats.
The great part is you have some great people to help you in your area!

Thanks Tom,
Yes, with your help as well as Bob Martin @ Nautilus Drydocks it's been a eye opener, learned quite a bit off the build forums as well. Will be at Yorba Park on the 8th to see in person and go from there. Sorry you won't be there Tom.

Last edited by Scaleman3; 08-26-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Gato.Submarine

Just in case you have some time, I will be at Yorba Linda this Friday (8/31) from 8am to 11:30am. I will be running the Sjoormen. Come on out if you can.
Peace,
tom
Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Scaleman3

Just in case you have some time, I will be at Yorba Linda this Friday (8/31) from 8am to 11:30am. I will be running the Sjoormen. Come on out if you can.
Peace,
tom
Thanks Tom,
Will be working
Old 08-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Gato.Submarine

Bummer, work has a way of interfering with fun.
Look forward to meeting you in the future.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Scaleman3

Default Sept 8th

Bummer, work has a way of interfering with fun.
Look forward to meeting you in the future.
Tom,
Stopped by the park and meet Jeff and the rest of the guys, super nice and got to see some subs, really loved the Engel Type VII. Jeff took my card and will be letting me know future events. I myself still looking over what is available out there to build.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Gato.Submarine

Sorry I could not make it, but I am very glad you met some of the crazy bubbleheads. We are here to help you whatever you choose!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Gato.Submarine

So, What did you decide to do? Move on with the Arkmodel, go to something else, or skip doing a sub altogether?
Old 09-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Scaleman3

So, What did you decide to do? Move on with the Arkmodel, go to something else, or skip doing a sub altogether?
Still deciding Tom, that is why I'll be back Oct 13th. Still would like to see your Gato.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 AM
Gato.Submarine

I will try to bring it on the 13th. It gets tight packing multiple subs in a Scion Xb.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Scaleman3

Found a Revell 1/72 Type VIIC " Wolf Pack " from 2003 on Ebay a few days ago which is not R/C but a good way to learn to build a first sub, so far it's been fun, might have it done by the 13th.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Gato.Submarine

Those can be R/C'd, but you will get to love/hate really tight spaces. The Type VII is a great looking model! Gives you a taste of what the Arkmodel has to offer!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Scaleman3

Exactly! Will have it at the park Saturday.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Gato.Submarine

Excellent, See you there!