Tungi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nikko seawolf

Is the stock antena
Old 01-23-2005, 08:19 AM
syrjr

Hi. I just won an auction for a nikko sea star. I have no idea how old it is. The owner said the prop is missing and the dive/surface feature does not work. Otherwise the sub is in good condition. I need some info on a replacement prop and trouble shooting the dive/surface function. Can anyone help me? Mabey there is a web site I can go to? I also have two walmart subs that i'm presently modifying. I have made a career working on the real subs for the navy and am presently workin on trident missle subs. Thanks, Ron[8D]
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: syrjr

Hi. I just won an auction for a nikko sea star. I have no idea how old it is. The owner said the prop is missing and the dive/surface feature does not work. Otherwise the sub is in good condition. I need some info on a replacement prop and trouble shooting the dive/surface function. Can anyone help me? Mabey there is a web site I can go to? I also have two walmart subs that i'm presently modifying. I have made a career working on the real subs for the navy and am presently workin on trident missle subs. Thanks, Ron[8D]
Hello syrjr,

Welcome to the Nikko (Sea Wolf/Sea Star/Ocean Explrorer) submarine club. This dynamic diving sub has several names & color schemes but share the same basic design ever since it was first introduced in 1983.
I have two 1983 versions. One is stock & the other is undergoing modifications for an underwater camera. This Nikko sub's main flaw is the 3ft dive depth that it is limited to ... unlike it's smaller but more modern cousin the "Wally sub" by Motorworks.
This subs' main asset is it's endurance or runtime. My Nikko subs use those new NiMh 2500 batteries. The runtime is an amazing 45 minutes. My thumbs were getting numb so I stopped my timer at 45 minutes!

I'm still not done with the underwater camera. I'm having balancing & watertight compartment leak issues to solve.
It would be better to order the propeller assembly from Nikko USA. Or you could wait around at those e-bay auctions for another Nikko sub that turns up for spare parts. Installing a larger traxxas prop will increase it's suface speed but will shorten it's runtime. The increase torque will drain the batteries at a faster rate.
Check the dive motor for rust. that is likely the problem with these old subs.

Have fun!
GulfstreamI
Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Tungi

You can also send it to NIKKO USA they will repair it.

Three years ago my sister!!!! stepped on my Boat[:@]!!!! prop broken,and a lot of leaks, I send it to Nikko Spain and no problem It works fine again!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Dreamaster

Hello guys, greetings from Mexico city, i have just got a new black nikko seawolf, but i have the following questions, hope u can help?

1) can i change the antena for a longer one so it can go deeper?
2) is the rubber tap from the batteries good enough for not breaking so easily, if it breaks how can i replace it with another thing?
3) does this sub need maintenance? should i disarm it to dry it, and aply some dw 40 on the motors and cables?

tks a lot for ur time and help
Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 AM
jasona

Hi guys,

I have a brand new Seawolf. It would be a great sub if it wasn't for the utterly pathetic range. Has anyone successfully made any mods to increase the range?

Many thanks,

Jason.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:25 AM
reidatwork

Help Please. I bought an older "exploration" version. The 2 props dont turn, but the steering mechanism does. I've dissasembled all of it, but can NOT pull the black battery compartment out of the yellow body to get to the motors. Is there a hidden screw somewhere? I dont want to break something, but maybe it's corroded? Thanks
Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 PM
gulfstreamI

Remove the surface/dive prop assembly first before you can pull-out the battery compartment/electronic assembly. You can accomplish this by extracting the entire "magnetic clutch" propeller drive assembly downwards.
Pls refer to the pics in the previous posts.

GulfstreamI
Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM
reidatwork

Thanks, I did that and it's still stuck. I notice the area under the switch looks "burnt" and repaired. There seems to be a hole thru the body and some glue or epoxy sealing it. I'm guessing that does not look right. Maybe it's keeping it from coming apart. I've even tried prying it pretty hard with a screw driver between the yellow body and the black battery compartment, but it does not come out. The black plastic at the rear end for the magnetic drive for the prop looks glued on. Should it be? Is there any dissassembly here? Uploaded some pics. Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58644.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	254211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67400.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	254212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97892.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	254213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85693.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	254214  
Old 04-05-2005, 12:29 AM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: reidatwork

Thanks, I did that and it's still stuck. I notice the area under the switch looks "burnt" and repaired. There seems to be a hole thru the body and some glue or epoxy sealing it. I'm guessing that does not look right. Maybe it's keeping it from coming apart. I've even tried prying it pretty hard with a screw driver between the yellow body and the black battery compartment, but it does not come out. The black plastic at the rear end for the magnetic drive for the prop looks glued on. Should it be? Is there any dissassembly here? Uploaded some pics. Thanks for any suggestions.
Your problem appears to be the magnet assisted "on-off" switch area.
Based on the photos, I would conclude that at one point it caused the hull's yellow ABS plastic to fuse with the "on-off" switch. (due to a possible electrical overload) The photo looks like the plastic melted.

You do not need to remove the black plastic propulsion assembly, to pull out the battery compartment tray.
Try using a Dremel tool to "cut out" this melted portion.
You can replace this part later on (to plug up that hole) with ABS pastic cut out from other hobby kits you may have lying around & a little C.A. glue.

GulfstreamI
Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Tucci

You know, if you would just drive the sub in a pond its range would really increase. It's all the chlorine in the water that interferes with it, in a pond your range should increase dramatically.[8D]
Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
kermit d fragged

Used to own a sea wolf but lost it in a calamity. I find it too expensive to reacquire now though.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM
periscope

Tried the video but just got a black screen - has anyone else managed to get the video?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 PM
kkelly1162

i am looking for a submarine to use in a large pond. is there anyone out there that weill be willing to sell me 1 for under 100 dollars
Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 PM
kkelly1162

how much do u want for the sub
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 PM
kkelly1162

hey everyone looking for a sub please feel free to contact me if you are willing so sell. thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 06:37 PM
kkelly1162

hey everyone looking for a sub please feel free to contact me if you are willing so sell. thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 05:16 AM
jasona

Hey, did you know you can get REALLY good Subs in Walmart for only $20! I'm not kidding, they're small (about a foot long) but VERY good, with full static dive capability. I bought four of them!

Good luck,

Jason.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Blazerbogger

I have had three nikko subs and one wally sub. The wally sub is not very good in my opinion but it is only ok in small areas and is not very bouyant. I drowned my first nikko sub, have a leak I am yet to find in my second, and modified my third one using the first subs parts. I am now working to make a better one. The batteries last a verylong time in the nikko sub.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
periscope

Nice looking sub Mate.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:01 AM
cattivo

Hi guys,

This is my start in the Nikko world.

MISSION: Underwater recon.

The idea is to rig a Nikko for underwater viewing of something (I can tell you but then I will have to kill you) and perhaps retrieval.

In order to do this a Nikko has to be purchased and modded.

- Tetherered system will be fitted to curcumvent range restrictions and deliver power/data

- Camera fitted

- Lights fitted

Questions:

1. Can the Nikko aerial and rc be replaced by wire using the Rc control?

2. Any successful experiments with cameras?

3. How deep this sub can go if the trx problem is oveorcome?

4. Any suggestions for camera, lighting? (image to be viewed by laptop)

5. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your wise opinions.

Cheers all.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:48 AM
margandy

Help All nikko seawolf ocean explorer rc submariners here is a pic of my Nikko SEA LAB Hope you like it. I also have another seawolf which works except the submerge moter. When I depress the submerge button on the tranny no response. I have take the thing apart and have isolated the battery tray/ circuit boad and motors but cant seem to see any unsoldered wires?? Can anyone out there guide me on what to do next?? My UK spares department are fed up with me now so I have to go this alone PLEASE HELP!!
Regards margandy
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
bluetrax

have you ever thought about putting a cam on the front of the sub? Wal-mart sells this small wireless security cam. I wonder if the weight would through off the way the sub handles.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Waterbomber

Hi Guys:

I don't have much to add to the camera discussion, but I bought a new, zero-time Seawolf just before going on a southern vacation to play with in the pool. I have a really nice carrying case for it, and it travelled well in checked baggae on the airline .. going and coming with no shipping damage.

Overall, I thought it was an OK runner, but it just didn't meet my expectations and will be offering it for sale as soon as I get a replacement part for the drive train ... the magnetic cup on the "dry side" of the WTC failed due to being slammed from full forward to full reverse a few too many times. A repair was tried but as I was fooling with it .. the part dropped off the balcony onto the sidewalk .. the magnet broke and I was without sub entertainment for the rest of the vacation. If you look at the first picture in the series posted by reiatwork up higher in this thread, you'll notice a black circular item ... that's what is broken on mine.

I was also disappointed by the very limited radio range .. in the pool, I'd be lucky to get 30 to 40 feet of range .. on the surface.

Next year, I'll be taking a static diver with me which will hopefully "peg my fun meter" at poolside.

I guess I could say, watch this space if you are interested in buying the Seawolf after it is repaired.

Regards,
Lee Smith
Old 03-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Blazerbogger

If you are going to buy one of these, try to find one or two on ebay. They are a lot cheaper there. I have also complated the hull of my new and improved nikko sub(just the hull is from nikko).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.