Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
the-glimmerman

Location: beuningen, gelderland, The Netherlands, NETHERLANDS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am new here

hi everybody,
i am new here...
as you can see on at my writing i am not very good in English but ill try to do my best

as i sad, i am new here...after a couple of times watching discovery Chanel, and my own fantasies, i decided to build a U-boat.
I'm am not a kind of person that starts with a starter kit :$ i want to do it the first time right...i want a nice toy

i read the revell conversion and i was impressed!!!! after watching the video's i became very exited and was thinking that it is maby not so hard to build one....
i spend the whole night on the Internet (so i thing the trouble is started when my girlfriend wakes up and finds out that i didn't sleep this night :P ) and read everything about kits, models and how to build from scratch...

now here is the question: how...and where to start?

Michiel
Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: i am new here

Hello and welcome to the world of RC-subs! The Revell U-boat kit is a very impressive looking boat and I'm sure that it will be a hit at your pond/lake whenever you run it! Are you planning to to build from scratch or RCing the Revell kit? I think that RCing the kit will be much easier since the hull is already built for you, you only need to perform a few assemblies. Since you are living in Europe, Nobert Bruggen of Modell-Uboot-Spezialitaten (he's based in Germany) sell an RC conversion kit including the pressure hull and ballast tank! You HAVE to check this out!

A few pics I got from his website (http://modelluboot/de):

Doesn't this picture make your mouth water?

If you want to scratchbuilt your own U-boat I can tell you that it's going to be a difficult process, since U-boat hulls are built in a more complicated way than modern teardrop shaped subs. I say that with experience because I am also scratchbuilding my U-boat and the hull has already taken about a year to build with all the things going on. I found plans on the internet (that took about two days of searching and preparing them), once I got the ideas, I started building, and here it is so far:

Note: These pictures were taken about two months ago when the grass was just getting green, before the deck gun and metal railings were added to the hull surfaces. I'm resuming the project in September, the boat should be done by early next summer (if all goes well!).

Good luck with your boat and I hope you enjoy building it!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 AM
the-glimmerman

thank you!!!

is the shape of sub important???? maybe design one myself???
Old 08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Captain Nemo12

Hi,

If you plan to design and scrathbuild your sub of your own design, I suggest you start with an easy going one. Just like the modern subs that have a cylindrincal hull, you can simply use a piece of plastic pipe (PVC), add a nose cap and tail cap and it will easily ressemble a Los Angeles class attack sub! It's an easy step into the hobby and with fewer building involved. As far as I know, the shape of the sub does matter somewhat according to the type of sub you want to build. For example, if you want a fast running and diving sub, you should build the hull smooth and very streamlined so it would move easily move through the water. Size also comes as a factor however, if you want your sub to use torpedoes and other features, you may want a bigger hull. I built my U-boat at 4' and 3'', so it makes it 1,27 meters long, so I plan on having torpedoes, perhaps a microphone or other goodies a long the way!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 AM
the-glimmerman

hi,
thank you again :P

i am searching the web and i think i am gonna buy a typhoon, the looks and the design's are super....just the way a sub must be ....in my eyes then

the typhoon i want to build is this one : http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalo...90aa7951512071

on this site i have found i guy in the Netherlands, so i think i can get some support from his side.

the money is no issue so want to make a very nice sub my first time, i am a air force mechanic so i think that i can fix this job to :P
electronics are not my strongest point but....the electronics on a RC sub cant''t be THAT hard i think? it all Will come with schematics an stuff?

also i want to equipt my sub wit a good High Resolution RF camera....

is 10-15 meters depth a problem? i know that i will get problems with my my RF signal...can i make my antenna cable that long to go above the water ore are there other things that i can do to make a transmitter more powerfull?

i know....questions questions questions :P

Michiel
Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
the-glimmerman

what's the difference between a a dynamic or static diver?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Captain Nemo12

Hi Michiel,

The deeper you go, the more harder it is for radio signals to get to the reciver, so I guess running your antenna more towards the surface will clear up the transmissions. I don't own an Engel Typhoon so I'm not really sure about the instructions provided, there used to be a very nice site detailing the construction of an Engel Typhoon (MarineRC that I'm speaking of), but it is now offline. There should be electronic schematics regarding the instructions.

Now the dynamic diver and static diver question, oh boy, I've answered this so many times, never get tired of it! Dynamic divers have a positive buoyancy, which means that you need to apply speed and those diving planes to get underwater (when the sub is not moving, it floats back up, a natural failsafe!!). A static diver on the other hand, is equipped with a ballast tank much like the real subs, ballast tank can range from being powered by compressed air (CO2), electric pumps, or being piston driven, the Engel Typhoon has a piston type ballast, thus is one example of a static diver. For that fact, I think the ballast tank is included in the kit according to the package you choose.

Anyways, I hope that my English is not too hard to understand!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
the-glimmerman

woooow...thank you :P

that is what i figured out but i dind't know for sure...now i know :P
thanks fore explaining things :P my other hobby is airgunshooting...and i am with a forum....if there is a question that is asked a lot of times...the say: use the search function... :S BAM...thanks allot....so thank you for explaining it so Manny times :P

i am gonna order the sub in the next two weeks...so i can start building soon ....i am looking forward to it

hmmmm there Will be more questions soon :P
Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Captain Nemo12

No problem, could you maybe document your progress along the way? I'm sure that people would love to see an Engle Typhoon built up!l
Old 08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
the-glimmerman

i will do that my new EOS 350D will arive soon to....so i document the whole way.

looking forward to it