Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

SCUBA Turbine Sub? Nice

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
superhornet59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCUBA Turbine Sub? Nice

Ok, im thinking what if i got a 6 Cubic foot pony tank, and put it in the pressure compartment, then i put, yup a TURBINE in the sub and it would run on the air. obviously it would not run very long, but it would be FAST to say the least, there could be a small electric motor in case of emergencies, and to get the exhaust out the turbine would drive a pump. im thinking a nonobee tornado (by artesjet). although it would barely run for like 20 seconds, it would be cool. getting the right amount of air in would be easy, because when the turbine sucks, it creats lower pressure kind of like when you suck on the regulator, so their would always be the same pressure, even though it would be a bit lower then sea level.

besides, what is the speed record for a sub? i mean theyre displacement crafts so theyre not meant to be fast, but why not? what do you think, could it be done? personaly i think it can, but without burining out the turbine from the stress thats difficult, it might auto-shutdown, so i would have to tinker with the ECU. im pretty sure ive made it clear that i accept the terrible milage and range i would get... BUT... i think i can do something, i could take an engine by skypipe, theyre the first company that made an afterburner for an rc turbine, so this has a 700 degree celcius flame when its on, and the engine is very durable. the afterburner can only be run for 20 seconds to prevent overheat, but if i pump some water into it, i can cool it and use the steam to run a STEAM TURBINE!! oya, now thats nice. im pretty sure i could only fit it in an alexander engel typhoon, plenty of room their.

so , what do YOU think???
Old 10-30-2005, 01:17 PM
superhornet59

Default RE: SCUBA Turbine Sub? Nice

also, you could put a ROCKET engine in it, and use that to drive a turbine. it would likely melt, but if it didnt you could expect some pretty scary power ratings
Old 10-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Rufe0>UK

Electric subs can be fast! I've seen one at 40mph, it's the reason I got into subs. A speedy sub just under the water looks so much cooler than a boat at the same speed. We clocked that sub at 40mph with a police laser. It was just a tube WTC with a cone on the front, later was put into a large U-boat I think. Also was powered by 4 small speed graupner motors running hot with power boat props. I'm trying to build my own just like it. I could only afford 2 motors(slightly bigger) though so won't quite be as fast, but I still think about 25-30mph. The important thing is to have high power in as small a diameter as possible. Who cares about run time? Depending on the size of the pond/lake you probly won't be geting upto full speed anyway. Anyway the name of the game is, you get what you pay for. If you have the money you can get the speed.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:45 PM
superhornet59

brilliant, i argree with your last statement. is there an official rc sub speed record?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Rufe0>UK

Dunno but lets set one right here right now. Do it with police laser for surface but I dont think it will work underwater. Email guinis world records about it. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/
Old 10-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Chris 1

Imagine the speed on that baby! you'd make a wrold record of the smallest fastest thing under water!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
superhornet59

running it on the surface is pointles, it will be fastest underwater, because remember that the drag from surface waves is gone, and its only friction and parasite drag doing after you now. im thinking of also of using a second tank to pump air infront of the sub to get rid of alot of friction, i heard about some torpedoes that did that, it makes it go alot fater. another thing to reduce friction is to make the tip come to like a 1.5 - 2 cm flat surface, itll push the water away and make an air cavity, but this will only work at high speed (them rocket torpedoes use that) also, what if i geared it? i understand in like a lake it will take too long to accelerate, so i can gear it to accelerate fast and have a higher top speed. i would do the air bubble thing at anytime, but because the air would get sucked into the prop it would cancel it out, unless i had a puller type prop, which would be wierd. another thing im thinking of is to "rifle" the sub. basicly, i would put rifle like vanes along the edge, because the prop will want to make the sub spin, which subs are more vulnerable to, so rather then making wings that would be better.

hey wait, what if... you know how when air/ water is spinning in a corckscrew, its linear motion is slower then that if it were traveling the same speed in a straight line? well what if i made it like a ducted fan kinda concept, then have vanes to guid the spinning wate rinto a straight line, it would reduce alot of the counter spin and increase topspeed by alot right? just not sure if it would lower the low end acceleration.

any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Rufe0>UK

erm whatever mate. I like crazy ideas, when I have them. Good Luck! That super fast one I menstioned was just a sleek tube, very thin with no protrutions. It had 2 props both about 2x it's diameter and very fine pitch, it had a short large brass tube shaft and a thinner shaft that went inside of that. The large one was fixed to the hull the other spun by the 4 motors. The tourge of the motors spun the outercasing(fixed prop) and the other prop. 2 alternate spinning props. The very front section was the only bit that didn't spin and that was where the only control surfaces where. It was a funny sight but it did go something shocking. Turning circle was also very large. The creator of the beast suddenly just moved away and i've never seen him since.