Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Submarines
Reload this Page >

Im going to try another shot at subs need some info.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Im going to try another shot at subs need some info.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
GreenAce92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im going to try another shot at subs need some info.

Well last time i tried subs i could not get them to go down at all due to lack of balance(mine were dynamic subs using elevators to dive) so they were always too floaty and also my radio system would not go underwater. Sooo now ive got a 3ch system which im going to try rc subs with, ive got servos, umm an ESC for a speed 380 motor(used for planes with 7x2 props). NOw ive got some questions.

Sooo for waterproofing the shafts, if i just use like pen shafts with metal shafts, and use vaseline to waterproof it how deep could i go under. Im just going to waterproof the Rx and esc and batt in a bottle and have the wires sticking out, then i can just worry about the servos getting soaked and motor if my pen tubes dont work. Im thinking of using peanut butter jars like i did last time(more room) i will probably do 1 filled with the electronics and 1 with steering and powerplant then do 1 for the water(ballast) ill see what ive got to work with, i wish i had a better radio system that i know can go deep, all ive got is my 7ch Eclipse Hitec tx with 72mhz system for my planes. Soo im just going to use a 27mhz system for my rc sub, throttle, elevator and rudder. What is better for depth control? Front bow planes or elevators in the rear?

Thanks. HOpefully this time i can get a dive and drive around underwater. Il get videos pics etc...
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 AM
subcaptian

Default RE: Im going to try another shot at subs need some info.

Nogo with the 27mHz, I think. If I am correct, as I usually am, that is an aircraft channel, and you need a 52mhz, I belive it is. I had to do the same thing with my heli 4ch remote.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: subcaptian

Nogo with the 27mHz, I think. If I am correct, as I usually am, that is an aircraft channel, and you need a 52mhz, I belive it is. I had to do the same thing with my heli 4ch remote.
Not correct captain, 27 mhz is fine. Never heard of 52mhz. Surface crafts usually use a 75 mhz radio, 27 mhz can be used for both aircrafts and ships.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
GreenAce92

I was just about to say the same thing, notice for Wally world products, they all use either 49 or 27mhz for planes or ground vehicles.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
GreenAce92

Well the radio works i did a test depth and i was able to get down to at least 8in of water so i think i can go deeper. I have to work on my Peanutbutter jar waterproofing with the lid, otherwise i think im set and know what to do. Ill get some pics soon. Now the problems will be with the pushrod stuff, i heard that a tight fitting sleeve on a shaft will do the trick with some kind of lubricant.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Guys,

27Mhz will work but bear in mind that band is subject to interference.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
GreenAce92

Yeah mine already acts up, ah well my sub will be a scratchbuilt soo perfection wont be required.

My radio system is for rc planes mainly but on 27mhz so ive got speed control in one direction only is that a bad thing?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 AM
petn7

ORIGINAL: GreenAce92

Yeah mine already acts up, ah well my sub will be a scratchbuilt soo perfection wont be required.

My radio system is for rc planes mainly but on 27mhz so ive got speed control in one direction only is that a bad thing?
Having a submarine that goes forward only is not a TERRIBLE thing, but your sub would be less fun to drive and certainly less functional. Also, reverse is basically your "brake" for a submarine.

Forward only ESCs are pretty small and cheap, though.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: subsinker

Guys,

27Mhz will work but bear in mind that band is subject to interference.
The 27 Mhz ''AM'' is subject to a lot of interference. The 27 mhz ''FM'' however has far less interference problems.