Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Moebius SeaView

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
junglelord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moebius SeaView

Here it is....and it snaps together with a perfect fit. This is going to be one nice RC Sub. Looks good beside my Robbe SeaWolf. Sweet.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
junglelord

Default RE: Moebius SeaView

Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
junglelord

I am new to this so I help my thread helps those newbies like myself.

This is how my day went....starting out with not having the correct tools and a member named Ray on the Caswell forum telling me that people will have what I need....

I have built one V2 Robbe SeaWolf and this is my second attempt at a RC submarine and a dream come true, a Seaview. I have been inquiring of tools required. A variable speed Moto-tool is really important and a drill press would help for the control vanes. I walked into Canadian Tire where my brother (a mechanic) who works the desk for the garage asking about the store not having a Drill Press unit for dremels but the router table was on sale. Since he works there I can save 10% and that helps a lot. He also knows what goes on sale ahead of time. Turns out it was my lucky day....

Well I have the first Moebius Seaview model and a Moto-tool from my brother and a free set of attchements on the right in the plastic holders that was going to be thrown out just today. After I spoke to my brother this after noon...the heavens are looking out for me.

10,000 to 35,000 rpm is the speed of this variable tool from Canadian Tire JobMate series. So its my lucky day.

It cut the material without melting it. I gave it a try with the cutting wheel on a piece of the sprue, as I am totally new to this.

Since thats a tool I did not have but required and cost about $100, being on a pension, I feel really lucky today. I never knew my brother had one of these. I had full speed Dremel with a flexible shaft, but its too fast for this material.

I am ordering the Merriman DVDs and Fittings Kit next week. I have seen several builds that did follow the Merriman instructions and others that explained where they deviated and why.

I had a real issue over cutting before Mr Merriman kindly and patiently talked and walked me through the reasons to do the build the way he lays it out. I want to publicly thank Mr Merriman for being so kind and for being so helpful.

I am now in-between wanting to dive into it and not having full instructions yet. I know that Mr Merriman will give me instructions on what to start with. I will detail the build as I am not experienced and maybe this will help others to be confident and give them the knowledge of what is needed and how to go about making a dream come true.

Cheers
Dean
Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 PM
SNOWTANK

Great I will be following this thread. I am still gathering materials and equipment for my Seaview. My angle pitch failsafes are on back order and I still need to order the subdriver and the batteries and charger. My Gato has everthing. Just need to start it but other projects are holding me up. [&o]
Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
junglelord

I have two possible approaches, this one uses the natual seams created by the kit
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...t=7973&start=0

The other follows Dave Merrimans approach
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...ic.php5?t=7847

I have decided about 95% on the first approach. I am awaiting my Sub Driver before I make that final decision.
So dispite the fact I got the tools, I do not want to cut and would rather not have bow planes.
However I do want Sail Planes. Steve Neills used no bow or sail fins. Dave Merrimans build utilizes all control surfaces.
One way is not better then the other, each has advantages and disadvantages.

Being a newbie and a little anal about all this, I was a bit of a pest asking Mr Merriman all kinds of deviations to his approach.
Dave is a real sweetheart and one awsome guy. I thank him for all his time.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
junglelord

I tried shedding some light on the subject today....
Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 PM
SNOWTANK

I heard from guys with Seaviews for RC that the model is very difficult to turn because of the fins at the bow. Dave Merrimans system allows the sub to maneuver better and it makes sense for practical applications. I wonder if the fins could be used like a jet aircraft 's flaps where one is down and one is up to allow steep turns.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
SNOWTANK

I got my Angle pitch devices. Now just the subdriver and the lipo batteries are that is left to purchase.

SNOWTANK
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
junglelord

I got a drill press
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
junglelord

Way to go SNOWTANK...your two steps ahead of me.
I just ordered the fittings kit and DVD set.

I am set. I love the drill press. I have been practicing on sprue.
You can do any job with the right tool

Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
SNOWTANK

That's a great looking drill press. Did you get that at CDN tire too? How much? I am in need of one.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM
SNOWTANK

[8D]I can't work on mine yet till I get 2 warships built for RC combat and refit my Bismarck. But Seaview will be first then the Gato.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
junglelord

ORIGINAL: SNOWTANK

That's a great looking drill press. Did you get that at CDN tire too? How much? I am in need of one.
NO, they had none at my brothers store, so I was over at Walleyworld and it was on sale for $40, regular $58
Also my brothers Canadian Tire Moto-tool fits the unit, but mine does not.
Turns out that my Canadian Tire "Dremel" is also variable speed....(I totally forgot that, brain injury....DOOH)
So I have two units, as my brother will never use his anyway.

I have the flex shaft on mine and my workstation is almost complete...I need a vice.

Hope you can grap one, its sweet!
Just make sure it will fit your Moto-tool
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
SNOWTANK

Next week looks like I am going out to get one.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM
junglelord

ORIGINAL: SNOWTANK

I heard from guys with Seaviews for RC that the model is very difficult to turn because of the fins at the bow. Dave Merrimans system allows the sub to maneuver better and it makes sense for practical applications. I wonder if the fins could be used like a jet aircraft 's flaps where one is down and one is up to allow steep turns.
This is what Mr Merriman said
Not 'flaps', 'ailerons'. Tell Snowtank to stop over-thinking it and build it as I tell 'em,

Thats David, military style, gruff and straight to the point.
Personally I understand the man's style...which some find rough around the edges.
LOL.

He has been extremely helpful with his time and knowledge and I would publicly thank him here for all his care and attention to a newbies constant pestering for two weeks....Thanks Mr Merriman....Bow Planes it will have.
[8D]
Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
SNOWTANK

Lol I meant to say that. Thanks Dave for setting it straight for me! lol.
I am definitely building it the way he recommends it. That's why I have his CD's. [8D]
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
junglelord

Hey SNOWTANK, you therefore recommend not doing the build without the DVD set?
I was wondering if I should spend the extra dough on that...being on a pension.
But it will not kill me....so is it a MUST HAVE?
Thanks

PS how clear is your water>
My area here in Ontario on the St Lawrence River, thanks to Zebra Mussels, is crystal clear.

Oh yeah, are you putting just the front portion of the Control Room in the RC?
I am trying to decide which way to go with that. I might just keep the Control Room as one piece for display.
So I got to painting the various items.

I got fiber optics from the dollar store....and I will make a functional computer wall.

Here is a shot of a computer board in progress

Also backlit sonar screens is another goal.

A nice idea for overhead lighting with LEDs and the circuit board.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
SNOWTANK

[8D] I recommend it highly. The DVDS are a great help. I picked up tips from this that I never knew about. The only thing I wish David added was the painting and the actual operation of the Seaview sea trials. On Youtube though he does have a demo of the Seaview in his pool but it would have been nice to have that added to the DVD. Despite that though the DVD David goes through how he actually installs the equipment. I have a set for the Gato as well.
For the Bridge I figure I am going to install it but have it removable when I want to install a camera inside like David did. However I plan to waterproof my bridge becasue I want it there for night dives lit up. That means I will have to Flood the control room as well so that it does not throw the ballast off. It should be workabla. Hope Captain Crane and Admiral Nelson can hold their breath while the sub is underwater. THE water here is crystal clear. Perfect for underwater video.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM
SNOWTANK

The bridge looks good so far. I like the idea of lighting up the Sonar screens. I am going to use a light kit specifially for Seaview and waterproof it .
Old 02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
junglelord

Those kits while nice are over priced at $70.
PS you can do your lighting for $30 max
I sent out some inquires to several members of ebay that build and sell LED units to your specs.
Only one had the 3mm LEDs for the taillights...$30 for 10 LEDs, but he has the 3mm LEDs. This one is run from the rx.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400033298885

In which case you would use this switch.
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/onboardacc/ners/

But you need to drill and seal the end cap.

However you can run it external of the WTC.

Give this guy a try for 16 LEDs, your choice of colours and flashing for 22.99.
He will also make them to up to 48" wires. Tell him junglelord sent you and that it is for the Moebius Seaview...
he is a good guy and I will use his for my display model and also for my Control Room
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130281556264

You could just pick up two 3mm LEDs and switch them for two 5mm, or just sand down the 5mm, for the tail fins.

LEDs are water proof. Use the standard batteries and its water proof too....no problems.
Just straight plug and play.

I tried some of the dollar store fiber optics for the tail last night, for fun...worked fine.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM
SNOWTANK

[8D]That sounds pretty good. I will look at this. Sounds like the way to go and keep the costs down. I don't mind doing some extra work on it. The fiber optic lights look good.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
SNOWTANK

I am making the purchase of that light set through Ebay. I sent off a request for shipping charges. I will be emailing him to get specifics on a custom set for the Seaview and Gato.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
SNOWTANK

The light set is on it's way.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
junglelord

Hey great news.

I want a Gato 1/72....might have one soon.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
SNOWTANK

I canned the credit card for now till June. Then I order the subdriver and batteries. Fortuntaly the subs don't take long to build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.