Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Another HE Leo build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Another HE Leo build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 PM
bananapirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another HE Leo build thread

from ebay for pretty cheap. dirty and deffinately had been run in mud. but everything is there (minus the cupola MG)

this will be my build thread once Idecide on either pershing gear or tamiya leo tracks (maybe Icould use some advice towards which!)

btw has anyone with an HELeo replaced your cupola MG with a better detailed one?I'd be willing to settle for the stock one since mine is missing..
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Another HE Leo build thread

I used the Pershing Plastic tracks and sprockets. I will be adding some pictures to my build thread later this weekend. I have it all done and it turned out OK. I would like to see some close up pictures of thre Tamiya Leo hatches, and maybe get some information on what part trees they come on.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
bananapirate

Speaking of hatches, its really easy to modify the ones on it already. just remove the screws from under the hatches and reposition them. granted they aren't hinged that way, but it works. dremel out under the hatches and you can fit crew in there

I'll post pics of mine soon

also I've noticed the roadwheels are really wobbly and have a lot of slop, is this normal?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the wheels are wobbly. I have modified some with a brass sleeve bushing. The wheels and tracks are probably the biggest disappointment(opportunity of improvement) on this tank. I had to remove the washers I had placed behind the wheels, as this made the arrangement even worse. On the corner wheels I sleeved the axle and the wheel with brass. This helped, and I am going to do them all.

Yes I have had the hatches apart, and was thinking of just repostioning them in the open position, but I am curious what Tamiya parts might provide for this.

Also you should remove the rear exhaust fans. They have see through screens, but there is a plastic insert that hides this fact. I removed the plastic insert, and this left a perfect spot to mount a couple of speakers.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. It is a very good tank to base a build on. YHR has come up with some very good solutions along with the ones i have done. Either way make a very reliable track and sprocket combination. The Tamiya parts route is as you would guess a little more expensive but it gives you ther proper track and sprocket which for some people is important. When i originally did mine I just didn't realize it could be done with Pershing parts . So i made up my own. If you have any questions just let me know. In all to go the Tamiya route the tracks are about 60.00, the sprockets are around 14.00. You would have to ask Phil what the road wheel spacers of mine he is selling are going for. There price had to increase due to supplier increase on wheel material. And I have special axle adapters that let you use the Tamiya LEO sprocket on any brand gear box.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM
bananapirate

anyone know of a nato green paint that best matches the green on this Leo? I need it for a barrel extension
Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Panther G

The Tamiya NATO green is very accurate. It is just a little too yellow for my taste. But so is the original NATO green. I like mine a little darker which actually makes it look more weathered for some reason. NATO colors weather darker from what I have seen which is the opposite of all normal thinking , which i have never been accused of.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Panther G

[I

MG]http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/PantherG64/LEO2A5001.jpg[/IMG]

Just some pics of my Abrams. I put all the electronics in the turret. Need to make a quick access system for it. I think I'll ditch all the screws and use some good magnets.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
bananapirate

amazing what 5min, a highlighter and a saw can do heehee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59782.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1506259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10571.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1506260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76859.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1506261  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Panther G

All i did was a 130mm section of styrene tube to the barrel . that is the correct length to add since the 55 caliber gun is 1.3 meters longer than the 44 caliber on the 2A5. i cut it right at the line behind the reference site and it fit perfectly.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Panther G

Oh , i got to say, i really love these HE tanks. they do take a bit of work to get them to be good runners but you have too admit, They are pretty darn acurate and they definitely are WAY cool.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
bananapirate

Ive always been a WW2 buff and never cared for modern stuff, but after so many WW2 tanks this Leo is really refreshing and damn fun to modify
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Stop it please!!! You guys are making me want to spend money again!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
bananapirate

This ought to look better

and good call on the Tamiya NATO green Panther G, its as if HEused the exact same paint on this tank. couldnt be a closer match!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10413.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1507097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57902.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1507098