Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

M16 Halftrack, A test case

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M16 Halftrack, A test case

Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
bullyhys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M16 Halftrack, A test case

Hello all,

Well just for fun and annoyance I decided to play around with adding El-Mod electronics to the WSN M16 Quad Gun-motor carrage(read that halftrack)

1st tests done with the El-mod x22 electronics unit(the one for armored cars) were so cool.

I started kicking around the idea about maybe going ahead and using a full El-Mod Tank setup.
Well I did and it works in fact better than I had hoped.
So here is the run down...
Full functionally including combat ready, full EL-Mod sound.
Headlights, Brake lights.
the choice of weapon was an issue for a while though, so was decided that would go with a TD format first, that said I borrowed the 75mm
PAK40 from my german halftrack project and used it for the 1st unit. (planning a servo recoil for the 75)
And we have success, I'm sure there will be some issues with game play, but seeing it running on the field mite make up for any issues.

Because of limitations in the electronics I have set the Halftrack as a medium as this keeps the rate of fire to a reasonable level

I'm working on version2 which I hope will "clean-up" some of the grey areas.
Still working out the use of the quad 50s....or maybe a flak38

I plan to post some pictures soon as I can get some taken.

Regards

bullyhys
Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: M16 Halftrack, A test case

Don't know how accurate you want it, but the M-3 TD had a very unique 75mm gun, which was totally different from the PAK 40.

It was an obsolete AA gun with the old WW I round, manual breech ring and outrageously heavy for that half track. Many of them turned over on a 45% slope and handling of the half track was difficult. El Mod looks like the way to go and pics or videos would be great.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Nice! Keep us posted and get some pics and vid if possible. I want to do the same thing.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 AM
bullyhys

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Don't know how accurate you want it, but the M-3 TD had a very unique 75mm gun, which was totally different from the PAK 40.

It was an obsolete AA gun with the old WW I round, manual breech ring and outrageously heavy for that half track. Many of them turned over on a 45% slope and handling of the half track was difficult. El Mod looks like the way to go and pics or videos would be great.
Well I have not seen a 16th scale French 75' or a russian 76 for that matter an I havent the skills to make my own, so I did the next best thing ...
Here's some pictures.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21721.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1512582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46248.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1512583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36624.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1512584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83940.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1512585   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10949.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1512586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33260.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1512587  
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM
pattoncommander

Cool, captured is the key. Works and looks great. We also gave a bunch to Russia on lend-lease...M-2s with 57mms.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to do something like this for mine. El Mod now makes a set up for this Halftrack.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
pcomm1

That is a fine looking captured M16. Really looking forward to a "how to" photo report on the next one you build.

I did this realitively stock M16 for a nephew's 9th birthday gift this past summer. The vehicle's name is authentic to the era and seems to fit too. He really liked the rare "Dragon" soldiers I included and the best part for me was that I got a war toy past his mom. LOL.

Have you tried the HLPz3 plastic track modification yet for outdoor running, and if so did it work?

John
Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM
SCAT PATTON

What happend to the OD and Howitzer

Looks cool, cant wait to see it run.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
bullyhys

YHR

Yeah I know, but got little tired of waiting and needed something to do...got a request to Phil for at least 2 El-Mod halftrack units.

bullyhys
Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM
bullyhys

SCATPATTON,

well if anyone can locate a suitible Howitzer in 16th scale I'm all ears..lol

I figure the pak40 sans muzzle break and some other accessories can pass for the Russian at guns, though I'd bet that a pak40 or 2 was used in a pinch,

nobody will really know for certin.[8D]
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 AM
bullyhys

C4ISTAR

Not planning any track mods at present until I get some field time on the unit, so far it doesnt seem necessary, it has very good mobility, have to remember that it is not a tank, so there will be issues.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:49 PM
pattoncommander

Nice looking model, but after 100 rounds out each gun, you will no longer see the target.[&:] Those rags around the barrels will catch fire, obscure vision and mark your location. Rags on the barrels have no purpose other than to start a fire. [:@]

I used 21 Century figures in mine, had to chop one up to get him into the gunners seat..but those figures look great.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Detroit Diesel Man

How do the halftracks drive....pretty good? I actually debated about getting one before I vought the bulldog i have....still would like to have one...I'm a US Armor guy all the way.....Thanks..Great Pics!

DDM
Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 PM
pcomm1

Nice looking model, but after 100 rounds out each gun, you will no longer see the target.[&:] Those rags around the barrels will catch fire, obscure vision and mark your location. Rags on the barrels have no purpose other than to start a fire. [:@]

I used 21 Century figures in mine, had to chop one up to get him into the gunners seat..but those figures look great.
Bill,

And that is just what 9 year old nephew Stewart told me too, no rages on his MG barrels, looks dumb, he told me.No fear, that is the first modification little Stewart made to his new M16, took off the MG rags!

But I told him in all the WWII John Wayne war movies, they always showed the Allied MG barrels wrapped in rags, so, you could cool them down after blasting at Stuka's, FW-190's & Me-109's, by urinating on the rags to cool down the barrels.

His mom over heard me tell him that and she made us put the half track away and I had to put the Sherman in the trunk and later she sent me home. Soended that rc tank birthday play day. LOL.

Really crappy sister, you know, but I guess a good mom.

John

PS The stock M16 (carefully removed the mud flaps) ran pretty good in short cut grass, garden dirt and the driveway, but the signal range is limited.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
pattoncommander

John Wayne...pure fantasy.[:'(] Guys had to pee on the M-1 bolts in korea to get them thawed out to fire, but wrapping rags around barrels for cooling is the dumbest thing I have heard in years. I've seen cal 50 barrels glowing red almost 2 feet back and they still kept chopping away. If it gets so hot the tracers start to weave patterns, you unscrew it, toss it and throw a new one in.

Hey Mom, that's pure Hollywood...no one did that, so let the kid have his fun. Happy Birthday Stew...

Bill
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 AM
pcomm1

Have you established a budget for the El Mod conversion,bullyhys?

And just having some "John Wayne" fun with you Chief. We know your "rag" correct and I understand Allied M16 gunners invading Germany routinely burned out their quad barrels using long bursts to bring down Axis aircraft and ignored the regulations recommended short bursts.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
pattoncommander

That's a relief. As bad as the Japanese Ni (knee) mortar being fired off the knee[:@][&:] or the notch in the dog tags being jammed in the teeth of a dead GI. Pure dumb fantasy, and the first instance ,extremely painfull. [:@]

In Korea there was no choice but to fire and burn 'em out. my tank carried 9 spares marked with the headspace..
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
The_Stuff

mmm interesting!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Detroit Diesel Man

How do the halftracks drive....pretty good? I actually debated about getting one before I vought the bulldog i have....still would like to have one...I'm a US Armor guy all the way.....Thanks..Great Pics!

DDM
They are a very good deal for the money. I have a few and they are worthwhile. Even though they are ALL on the same damn frquency. The radio range is very limited to about 30 feet indoors and 50 outside. The model is fairly accurate and drives well. I removed the rear mud flaps 2 min after running it, since they were hard plastic and were like anchors in the snow. The winch is cut off of mine now and will be replaced with a roller for the hilly terrain of Danville. The M16 drives very well but the joysticks are toylike and the configuration for driving and the controlling the gun mounts is awkward. I mounted my video camera in the gun mount so I could pan and tilt it freely to capture some action on the battlefield. The mounts move quickly and since the M16 is very light it is bouncy fpr the camera. The front axle is not powered but that short-coming doesn't mean that it gets stuck easily. The two figures are very, very nicely detailed (one is holding a cigarettte) and worth at least $20 each in and of themselves. I am also converting one to IR battle and hope to have it ready for our next winter NEAD battle-day here in NJ.
I did make some video during my last trip to Danville and I just posted it on youtube.
I have NO time for editing so take it in stride. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/user/thecommandernj?feature=mhum

Bob, NEAD CO

Name:	Qn38249.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1532098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87434.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	1532099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31209.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	1532100  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 AM
bullyhys

I found that the M-16 drives well on mostly flat smooth ground, especally when loaded heavy.

as a result I made a few small changes to mine, 1st I removed the battery box off the bottom, I installed a lipo 2250mah 7.4v in its place.
I also installed a battery alarm/monitor as well.

This has greatly improved mobility. I also made a mod kit and mounted a 20mm Flak 38 cannon in place of the 75mm pak40.

Makes for a better nusiance weapon. The new 20mm has working elevation as well as azmith.

Vehicle is set as light armor and will take 3 hits, reload time is 2 sec, should make for a nasty customer.

I also packed the drive diff with a heavy grease to improve traction, both tracks tend to drive together better and yet will still corner.

1st terrain tests showed that in many cases only one track was driving and the other was not, the loose track would just spin and no movement on the one with traction.

Name:	Ge95724.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1532103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22461.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1532104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46603.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1532105  
Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 AM
thecommander

Oh..... I like the idea on the thick grease in the differential. I have not had any trouble with the tracks slipping thusfar. I have lost some screws that are very flimsy. I drive 525 miles to Danville from northern NJ so mine are subjected to quite a bit of vibration. There are only a few very small screws holding on the boggies. I have had to tighten them frequently and even added lock-tight. How about that long over hand from bumper with the winch. I found that to be alsmost as bad as those rigid rear mud flaps. That winch bumper would dig into modest hills and stop you like an arresting cable on a aircraft carrier. The lights and LED maching guns with sound are a nice touch. The only thing they left out was an engine noise while driving and an assortment of radio channels.
Bob
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

As far as a suitable 75mm gun goes, PYRO (and later, Life-Like) released a 1/16 kit of a WWI French 75mm Field Gun. You can still find them on "auction" sites for around $25. Molded in light blue plastic, and I would imagine you'd probably throw away everything but the barrel. But, it might be a start. -Mike
Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Rex Ross

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: bullyhys

Well I have not seen a 16th scale French 75' or a russian 76 for that matter an I havent the skills to make my own, so I did the next best thing ...
Here's some pictures.

Enjoy
~~~~~~~~~

I did this for a 1/18 halftrack, before the 1/16 R/C model was available. ........the Internet is loaded with reference material. It isn't that hard to scratchbuild, if you can be happy with "close enough". I may do another in 1/16.

Name:	Vs55764.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1532169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77056.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	1532170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94798.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	1532171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70591.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1532172  
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 AM
bullyhys

That could be a plan that I'd be interested in, PM with the details?

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
ksoc

Dragon makes a kit you could use as reference

(here is a site that show the kit with photo etched upgrades)

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/militar...ge-dragon-6467

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.