Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

King Tiger turret speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: King Tiger turret speed

OK, my friend, listen up a little. I can not imagine the Germans not balancing the turret, but not being there when they built the thing, it is only conjecture, as is your statement about the balance. The PTO drive for the turret traverse if memory serves was pedal operated by the gunner. Having full crew commo in the tank via throat mike meant the gunner could, and did, tell the driver when to rev it up for faster turret traverse speed. When he came close to on target, releasing the pedal released the PTO. Fine adjustments for aim were made by the hand crank, hence the half degree turn for one crank revolution. With your vast experience in tanks, you should have known that. Any problems with turret rotation were addressed early in the production run with the factory and in field replacement of the ball race balls, new ones being slightly larger than the originals. Now, you will ask how did they make the ball race balls slightly larger and still fit in the factory race. It was simple.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Transmition problems on Tiger II are well documented problems the 18 tooth sprockets and tracks are also well documented as is some cooling problems the one problem that is never discussed as it never happened is problems with the turret bearings nor the balance nor problems with failure in the field of these parts, do you really think the Germans would overlook such a basic item especially when at the time they lead the way in armor

Jerry forgive the ignorance but I forgot to comment on your turret rotation set up, the pictures are a little small so it's difficult to see what you have achieved, I for one would be interested in what you have built and if you have the time some film footage of the turret in action would be much appreciated as for the speed well not many know what the real speed is so I don't think it matters I never tried to achieve scale speed on my own Tiger.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Rivet, the ball race replacement was mentioned casually in, I've forgotten now, either TIC 1 or TIC 2. I've only got TIC 2 here, but I well remember it mentioned as a both a production mod and a field fix. What the exact problem was was not mentioned, just that the unit's turrets were pulled and the balls replaced with slightly larger ones, and the sequence of the balls was mentioned. That was the secret of the larger race balls fitting in the original race. If you want, PM me. Funny how one remembers such small details.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Done, see video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYciPI90q1E

Don't pay attention to the misc parts I have strewn on the turret roof ( vent, etc). My motto is "if it is flat or nearly so
it will double as a table"

Jerry
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
hatakashi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Gabriel,
Jentz and Doyle have reelected quite a few books over the years please give the correct title and page number this will save me having to read from cover to cover, saying ''it's in the big book'' really doesn't help I don't have the smaller ''New Vanguard'' edition so cant verify what you have read however I do have various other Jentz and Doyle books so please help
Hello Mark I did say in my originaly post:
This time I use the simplied version of T. Jentz's Tiger II book, I use New Vanguard's King Tiger Heavy Tank, on page 24.
"...with the high range power traverse engaged and the engine turning over at 2000rpm, the turret could be traversed 360 degrees in 19 seconds. At the maximum allowable engine speeed of 3000rpm, the turret could be traversed 350 degrees in less than TEN seconds..."

Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent off a message to Herr Grube at Panzermuseum at Munster. Also on the plow device on the Tiger....probably get some answers shortly. Pretty sure theirs is fully operational, or at least the official German Panzer Museum should have all that data..