Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Silicone spray WARNING!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Silicone spray WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Silicone spray WARNING!!!

Guy's be very careful when using silicone sprays in a can i used some to lube one of my VS tanks road wheels and i was going to use it on my other tank so i decided to spray some in a plastic cup so i can drip it into the road wheels this time with a tooth pick and after i sprayed it in the plastic cup and went to go fetch a tooth pick i grabbed the cup to lift it up and the whol bottom fell right off melted it right the hell offf!!! and i checked my VS tank i used it on and the road wheels where kind of sticky not rotating good so i had to re oil them now they seam ok..... SO LESSON LEARNED only use airsoft lube i never had a problem with it ever!
Shen....
Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Silicone spray WARNING!!!

Yeah

Chemical compatibility is something I am paranoid about and always check carefully rather than just using something new in blind faith.

Your account here and some sad personal experiences years ago, not to mention things we encounter in the petroleum production business,are the reasons why I am careful.

An example. When I had to fix loose track pins on my HLPz IV, I almost just used Loctite (the products used for metal threads). However, I posted a question about it on the forum, the answers that came back, plus some other research, indicated over time it would cause the plastic track parts to crack.

I found and used Loctite Super Glue, same company, different product recommended for plasitcs, I was glad I checked up on it.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM
milsurp53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

Guy's be very careful when using silicone sprays in a can i used some to lube one of my VS tanks road wheels and i was going to use it on my other tank so i decided to spray some in a plastic cup so i can drip it into the road wheels this time with a tooth pick and after i sprayed it in the plastic cup and went to go fetch a tooth pick i grabbed the cup to lift it up and the whol bottom fell right off melted it right the hell offf!!! and i checked my VS tank i used it on and the road wheels where kind of sticky not rotating good so i had to re oil them now they seam ok..... SO LESSON LEARNED only use airsoft lube i never had a problem with it ever!
Shen....
Which brand was this? I'll have to check mine, Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 PM
JerB

yeah there is a difference between the silicone oil and silicone spray, while silicone oil is safe for plastics ( like the kind used in rc car shocks ) the silicone spray contains petroleum distillates which is bad and will damage plastic.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM
BIGMIG

Yup..........loctite and plastic do not go togeather.It will ruin a lot of different types of plastic and it don't take much of it.It is kind of deceiving in a way as it comes in a plstic bottle.

I see some posts here where guys have problems with the sprockets coming loose and want to use loctite to cure this problem.This to me would be a very risky venture.Another note is loctite does not work on something with stripped threads........It does not make threads....it just cloggs up the existing threads to prevent a bolt coming loose from vibrations and such.

The green loctite is permanant and what ever you use it on must be heated to get it loose.And it takes a lot of heat to get it to release.

BIGMIG
Old 10-10-2010, 03:03 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just make sure to use airsoft lube 100% silicone spray you won't have no problems.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM
JerB

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

Just make sure to use airsoft lube 100% silicone spray you won't have no problems.

Oh yeah I forgot about the 100% silicone spray. I was talking about the silicone spray that you would find at a hardware store. thanks for clearing that up Shen[8D]
Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM
candycab

Tri-Flow should be safe to use as well
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Shabbernigdo

locktite does make some thread locked for plastic parts now.