Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Abrams

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/16 Abrams

Has anybody bought one of these before?

http://www.rctankwars.com/images/pro...ert%20Camo.jpg
Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1/16 Abrams

I bought the Leopard equivilent. It takes alot of work to get them to be functioning at a decent level. But it was a lot of fun, and in the end I have a tank I am proud to show and run.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLj69tBf4J8[/youtube]

I spent about $500 all in for this,($250 for El Mod) but if you are prepared to spend some time some money they can be turned into a nice tank. I have questioned Mato about supplying the Leopard in North America. I beleive with the Canadians using these in Afghanistan there might be a market for them. They also beg for aftermarket parts that Mato could capitalize on if the desired. You know the usual stuff. Road wheels, tires , suspension arms etc.

The Abrams is of the same construction , and can be converted in a manner much like what I have done with the Leopard 2
Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Job YHR, everything about that tank is done well, looks, detail, sound and movement.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
JEANROCK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job !!! This tank looks real..
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Fellas,

Looking to do a Hobby Engine Abrams conversion to Tamiya with Leo parts. What parts would I need outside of the DMD, MF, Recoil, Flash unit, tracks? Could I reuse the turret motor and existing barrel?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Panther G

The barrel and recoil units are all one peice on these tanks o there a little tricky. I'm ditching the barrel on my LEO and using a Tamiya barrel and a Pershing recoil unit. With the LEO you could get away with the Tamiya KV-1 set. The Tamiya LEO electronics work differently than all the others.So it may not be worth the money to try and use it.
A really good option would be to use YHR's DBCRC3 and the good old Rx18. With this setup you can get all the proper custom sounds. That is what I will be doing with my HE tanks.
The parts you need that are Tamiya are Panther Gearboxes and LEO tracks.
Phil at RCTankWars.com has the wheel spacers I make. The Abrams doesnt need an axle adapter to use the Tamiya LEO sprokets just the LEO does.
The reason the Abrams does not is you just simply put the sprocket on the shaft backwards and use a set screw to hold it on the shaft. Works great and an easy conversion. \
Call Phil at RCTankWars and ask him, he will tell you everything you need to know. And buy the Tank from him too, he can do all the mods right there since he would have all the parts except the DBCRC3 he would need to get from YHR if he has not done that already.

I must say, I'm liking all the attention to the modern armor. Even HL is bringing out a brand new moder Chinese tank. Cant wait to get my hands on that one.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys/Gregg,

I found a site with sweet models but a bit pricey.  Have you all heard of Chunwai models?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Panther G

Yeah we all know about them. Way too pricey for the 1:16th scale range even if they are all metal.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
TeTris MoNk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YHR... everytime I see this Leopard I drop to my knees and thank the lord for that gift.... I have your build for it bookmarked and one day I want to do the same... maybe as my second tank.... but with playing Battlefield 3 i'm torn between Abrams and the Leopard 2