Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Chip On Board sound details

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Chip On Board sound details

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chip On Board sound details

The RX 18 is turning out to be a very effective electonics package with basic IR capability. The biggest drawback I have found is the horrid clicking noise it tries to pass off as a tank sound effect when the tank is in motion.

Does anyone here have the ability to figure out the output pins on these sound chips. I would love to break the trace that instigates that horrid in motion sound!!!!!!! The cannon fire, machine gun and start up and idle sequence are all OK. I just want to loose that clicking.

Anyone have any details on this.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Chip On Board sound details

if some one could work this out there are plenty of very good sound boards and amps
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM
STO_118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ability to change the sounds on the onboard chip, or even change the chip out would be pretty awesome. It is my biggest gripe with my HL's.

The Tiger sounds pretty good and is very loud, but the Pnz III can't be heard over it's own running despite turning the volume up. A Pnz IVI've got also has this same problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
SouthernSteel

Yea the clicking sound is just driving me crazy, it has to go,is anyone working on this problem?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM
YHR

I am hoping that all a person has to identify is the trace that instigates this sound A well placed drilled hole will break the trace, and no clicking!!!!!

I am going to give this a try , but I was hoping someone would have some info, so I don't go into this blind.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Bagheera

An idea a sound modual between the RX18 and the speaker. The modual - input from RX18 change the signal to proper tank sound - Tiger, Pershing to Pzrlll and so on. Is it posible do you think.

Just a thought

John

HL Pershing x2, Tiger l, Panther, Jadgpanther, Pzrlll x2, Pzr lV, Stug lll, Tam Sheman Mat KT
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
dash69

Now that is an idea. Output from chip could be threshold to turn on seperate audio system. Hmmmm.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Jaws01

An idea a sound modual between the RX18 and the speaker. The modual - input from RX18 change the signal to proper tank sound - Tiger, Pershing to Pzrlll and so on. Is it posible do you think.

Just a thought
Given that you have a multitude of sounds coming through the wiring to the speaker (gun, engine for two) I don't see how that would work. You'd need to tap in where the input to the sound chip occurs.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
YHR

The sound chips have mutilpe unused solder points. I think it might be possible to intercept the trigger signal and input another audio device to play instead of the heng long one. One of the goals of figuring out the pins.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Bagheera

I wish I knew something about electronic boards. It sounds like a nice project. LOL

Who designed the board, does anybody know?

John
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
bubbajoexx

the sound chip on HL uses serial data not trigers so you can not disable one sound and leave the others it is on or off as cutting the serial data transfer line shuts the sound card of
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: bubbajoexx

the sound chip on HL uses serial data not trigers so you can not disable one sound and leave the others it is on or off as cutting the serial data transfer line shuts the sound card of
So how does the chip know when to produce each individual sound.? There must be some input to result in the expected output. How does this happen?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
bubbajoexx

it recieves a digital signal from the rx board that is a serial data stream format that the sound chip can read then send out the matching sound
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
YHR

So A DBC type device could be made to intecept these packets and do something else with them????
Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 PM
dyeager535

As long as you could interpret the data, and pipe that data to where you needed it, I would think yes. That's what has been done with all the real automotive tuning stuff out there, except that the auto manufacturers have an output (although proprietary) DESIGNED to be read/used, people just had to "crack the code" as it were, in figuring out how to read what was being spit out.

Is there a closeup of the RX18 sound portion that we can see? Its going to be hard soldered and probably quite tiny. But anything is possible. Well, near everything. This I think qualifies as possible.

Perhaps Luke has gotten somewhere on his idea http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10020014 and has some further thoughts on the sound issue. It sounded like he was going to take his own route, which is understandable since no one appeared to be able/willing to collaborate with him, but maybe in his journey he has figured some things out that might take some of the work out of making this idea happen.

It's pretty obvious sound is either the top, or near top complaint about the RX18, and having an alternative would be pretty darn popular, assuming it possible to assemble a collection of sounds that were then usable. Wish I had something to offer in regards to figuring out a solution/making something. I do know that keeping it as simple as possible is more likely to make it happen. Replace stock HL sounds with new, improved sounds, clip for clip.

Lack of developers is going to make this highly unlikely to happen here IMO though.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
YHR

Darkith is still around,and I imagine he could do it. Sounds like the logic on the sound is the same as on the motion. Intercept the code and redistrubute it to an upgraded sound card.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM
strmnd54

I did some experimental work last spring in order to improve the rx-18 sound ...
I was using the sound to start a home-made V.C.O. ( voltage controlled oscillator ) which was mixed with the original rx-18 sound ...
I'm still working on an improved version of that project : Better mix , better E.Q.; and better audio amp. ...
I'm also trying to match the smoke unit with the sound ...
Here's where I was last spring ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxoGEooCoBw
Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
strmnd54

My video link didn't work ...

[youtube][/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxoGEooCoBw
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
YHR

hmmm I can't get the You tube feature to work either.

Anyway it sounded interesting.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM
strmnd54

I keep forgetting how to load video links on this forum ...Sometimes I get it right away ; sometimes I could take all night

[youtube][/youtube]http://youtu.be/hxoGEooCoBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxoGEooCoBw

www.youtube.com/watch

Old 11-24-2010, 10:48 PM
dyeager535

I'm not quite understanding what you did...

So did you take the sound going to the speaker, from the RX18, "intercept" that, and use it to actuate what you made?

If so, how does it handle things like the cannon firing, machine guns, etc?

Just curious. It's obvious you were able to change the stock engine sound (at least from how mine sounds!) so you certainly did something good!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 PM
strmnd54

[quote]ORIGINAL: dyeager535

I'm not quite understanding what you did...

So did you take the sound going to the speaker, from the RX18, "intercept" that, and use it to actuate what you made?

If so, how does it handle things like the cannon firing, machine guns, etc?

Just curious. It's obvious you were able to change the stock engine sound (at least from how mine sounds!) so you certainly did something good!

That's exactly what I did ...I turn the sound volume to the maximum , replaced the speaker with a 100 Ohms resistor and A.C. coupled the sound to a sound activated switch that turns on the smoke unit and a voltage controlled oscillator made of 2 ( 555 I.C. ) timers ...
I mixed the sound of the rx-18 and the output of the V.C.O. and amplified with an L.M. 386 ...to drive the speaker ....

On my next attempt ; I will have more power to play with ; since I'm using 2 battery packs mounted in serial : I'm gonna have 14.4 Volts between the positive terminal of the main pack and the negative terminal of the extra pack ; which allows me to use automotive audio equipment ( like a 12 Volts Loudness E.Q, and a 8 Watts audio Amp ...)

It's a work in progress and I should be able to post some results soon ....

Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 AM
SouthernSteel

My goal is to make my Panther G sound like this example, it most likely will require a seperate player because i dont think even if someone gets the RX-18 figured out it would not have the power and clarity to do what i want it to do. I will start by first making a strong idle sound,from a seperate
player that would be installed in the tank and completly seperate from the rx-18, if anyone has any ideas please post here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhiq3XCtwPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KauAx..._order&list=UL