Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya DMD T-01 - can it be hooked to a MF unit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya DMD T-01 - can it be hooked to a MF unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya DMD T-01 - can it be hooked to a MF unit?

I have purchased from a fellow member the Tamiya Porche turret King Tiger, and it is equipped with a T-01. This limited edition model came only with the DMD and with no sound or other features. I'm thinking of upgrading to full Tamiya battle ready status with this one (I have always gone with the Heng Long stuff as no one around here battles), but want to know if I need to replace the T-01 with a T-03 which seems to be the current KT DMD.

Any advice or access to a manual for the DMD would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:12 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya DMD T-01 - can it be hooked to a MF unit?

I think the T-01 does not have the connector socket that is on the T-03 which allows it to be connected to the MF-01 unit. It probably would not function correctly with the MF even if it did have it. You will most likely need to replace it with a T-03 DMD if you want to convert it to FO.

Out of curiosity, did your Porsche KT kit include a recoil unit, or does it only have an elevation unit? Must be elevation only, now that I think about it because the recoil unit on the FO kit connects to the MF unit, only the elevation connects to the DMD.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, It needs to have the communication port that the TO-3 has, and the cable to hook it up. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Mouton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with the Sherman DMD-version (DMD T-01) and upgraded it to a full option version with battle system. I can tell you from experience that even though the DMD T-01 does have the connector it cannot communicate with the MF unit. Unless you got the tank cheap, it will most probably cost you more to buy the DMD, MF units as well as the battery y-cable connector, communication cable, recoil unit, gun elevation unit, main gun lamp unit, machine gun lamp and fibre optics (and the machine gun parts bag) than selling the tank and buy a new full option King Tiger. Download the (build) manual for the full option King Tiger and see if all the plastic parts are the same or if you need to get some new plastic parts as well. I assume you also need to change the main gun barrell to the one piece metal barrell. If you look on eBay, you should be able to find what you need.

The manual for the King Tiger come in two parts, one build manual and one small grey user manual that explains the setup and usage of the DMD/MF units. I have not seen the latter online, but several dealers have them in stock.

RSEA, the DMD-versions (not the current full option versions) did neither include the recoil unit or the elevation unit. The did not even include a turret rotation mechanism. That was an option for the DMD-range. On the plus side - they did come with metal tracks, though.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 AM
kclank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mouton

I started with the Sherman DMD-version (DMD T-01) and upgraded it to a full option version with battle system. I can tell you from experience that even though the DMD T-01 does have the connector it cannot communicate with the MF unit. Unless you got the tank cheap, it will most probably cost you more to buy the DMD, MF units as well as the battery y-cable connector, communication cable, recoil unit, gun elevation unit, main gun lamp unit, machine gun lamp and fibre optics (and the machine gun parts bag) than selling the tank and buy a new full option King Tiger. Download the (build) manual for the full option King Tiger and see if all the plastic parts are the same or if you need to get some new plastic parts as well. I assume you also need to change the main gun barrell to the one piece metal barrell. If you look on eBay, you should be able to find what you need.

The manual for the King Tiger come in two parts, one build manual and one small grey user manual that explains the setup and usage of the DMD/MF units. I have not seen the latter online, but several dealers have them in stock.

RSEA, the DMD-versions (not the current full option versions) did neither include the recoil unit or the elevation unit. The did not even include a turret rotation mechanism. That was an option for the DMD-range. On the plus side - they did come with metal tracks, though.
Some did have rotation. They used the floor mounted gear box with a clutch to rotate the turret, I cannot remember if they were "hop up" options from tamiya or not. the gears out of these boxes was one of our sources for gearing down the main drive gearboxes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75893.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	1531770  
Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, then I will just enjoy it as is and maybe add a turret rotation to it. I have one of the clutch type turret rotation units kicking around in my spare parts, so no biggie. I like the T-01 control and the fact that it blocks the stupid "superspin" that other ESC's allow. It's a mighty nice model, so I think I'll keep it pure. Either that or I'll Heng Long it since that's the only battle systems we have here in Winnipeg.

Thanks for all the great info. I was sorely tempted to buy a MF unit since the T-01 does have the port for the data cable....