Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sherman 3 piece trans cover

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman 3 piece trans cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sherman 3 piece trans cover

Well guys, I am inquiring again. This time I am in search of the trans cover in the picture below.I know I have seens some one build this model before and I cannot locate the thread now.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 PM
kclank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sherman 3 piece trans cover

give a pm to rex ross. he might be able to give you some info
Old 11-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Search for Volvospeed's posts (here and elsewhere ) I know he did the mod on his desert Sherman
Old 11-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

Well guys, I am inquiring again. This time I am in search of the trans cover in the picture below. I know I have seens some one build this model before and I cannot locate the thread now.
~~~~~~~~~~~

About 15 years ago I attempted to convert one of the original Shermans to a VVSS with a three piece tranny cover. It had the old clutch type gearbox. It isn't perfect, but it made me happy. I made the tranny cover out of some PVC pipe couplings and Evergreen plastic and body putty and a casting of the bolt line at the top of the cover. I had to grind some of the tranny housing off to make it fit. A pencil points to the area removed in one of the photos. The tranny cover in the photo of the M3 Lee was a total catastrophe as far as making it work for R/C and it is a thick lump of resin on the inside, and it remains a static model.

I don't know if this helps you out in any way, but it's all I have to offer based on my past efforts. Good luck with your search on this.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:04 AM
yellowshaker

Wow! thanks alot for the input guys. Rex, that is great work! I'd be happy too! I guess I can always try scratching it if I want one that bad huh?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:46 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considing the same for my early IDF 75mm Sherman (IDF M-3) , and it looks as if we are going to have to scratch the bolt seams and make the 3 piece our selves.[] Like the IDF turrets, lots of work, but when it's all done, it's worth the effort.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow! thanks alot for the input guys. Rex, that is great work! I'd be happy too! I guess I can always try scratching it if I want one that bad huh?
~~~~~~~~

I was kinda embarrassed to show the inside of that tranny cover.......It's really rough and crudely done, but I always tell myself, "If I can't see it when it's finished, it doesn't matter". I'm lazy about interior details. Whenever I scratch something, I always end up thinking........."Gee, I coulda done that better.......or differently". But I rarely end up doing a second (improved) copy with fewer mistakes. I would be happy to find out that somebody looked at my stuff and thought of a better, cheaper, faster, easier way to do some project they were working on. I have gotten a bunch of good ideas from the postings on this forum. I can't count the number of times I have seen some great way to do something and thought to myself, "Why the heck didn't I think of that"?

Rex

Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gears are always turning. I have seen many things on this forum develop into somethng more then they started. I remember when Darkith first threw his ideas about the DBC on here.

The three piece tranny is one I want to soon try, so I will be refering to this. My next Sherman is going to be an early 75 mm one

A can of black flat paint will fix up the backside of this piece if it bothers you at all, but honestly I bet most stuff that you cannot see does not get the same treatment as the frontside or topside stuff..

Dan
Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 PM
yellowshaker

Well, I do appreciate the help. I agree that most of the things we want to build ormodify can be done thruogh the shared ideas here.
I did find the thread on the early trans cover. It appears it was bought from Tiff Williams a few years ago. Sooo, anyone know who that is???
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Here is a link to a club he was in...
http://www.fragarmor.org/Battle%20Da...2002%20(1).htm
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM
yellowshaker

thanks Jim!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
edoubleaz

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I do appreciate the help. I agree that most of the things we want to build ormodify can be done thruogh the shared ideas here.
I did find the thread on the early trans cover. It appears it was bought from Tiff Williams a few years ago. Sooo, anyone know who that is???
Tiff is a pioneer of Sherman accuracy. I have several of his little pieces and a few photos in the DAK gallery. The first DAK M-36 had his turret on it.

http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/DAK...allery.html#66

Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
rgallant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can add me to the list of guys working on this, stupid a4's had to have that housing.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
yellowshaker

LOL! I will be patient and hope that someone designs a proper one. I have faith in you guys!