Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ElMod Basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ElMod Basics

I have three HL tanks and only two DBC/DBU's. I am strongly considering going the ElMod route with one of my tanks, most likely the Pershing. I'd like to hear from anyone who has an ElMod set up. I am a little confused as to what I need to get a HengLong tank up tp IR battle readiness. I see that there is an EMOd Pro, Eco, Think Tank (for HL xmitters I believe) as well as sound blaster, and computer interface etc. How much is it going to cost me to get my Pershing to sound better and send and receive IR hits?

Any help would be, well...helpfull

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ElMod Basics

Mike, I have been working with elmod alot lately and can tell you that it is well worth the price. It actually comes out cheaper than Tamiya conversions. First you need to decide what it is you want to do with the tank. If you are planning to add servos, an extra Machine gun, and extra lighting, you will need the PRO version. The eco version is fine for using the 1 machine gun, headlights and all the stock turret gear. Both systems will be able to battle. If you plan to battle the tank, you need the CSI battle unit which is about 90 bucks. On par with tamiya. Personally I like the PRO version because for the extra money, you might decide to later do servos and extra bits in the tank. If not, the eco version will be fine for you. Sooo, what you need is either an ECO or PRO board, and a soundblaster 4 and CSI for battling. Check Phil's site for current pricing on all parts. Any other questions, give me a shout!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DBC and ELMOD are not compatible. These are two different routes to go. EL-MOD now has the conversion hardware to let Tamiya owners experience user definable sounds as well. ElMod has streamlined their installation. Hardest part of EL mod is programming all the user definable sound, and it beocmes a hobby in itself.

There was an EL Mod thread a couple of months ago that had some really good programming information in it. Be cautious Mike. You grew impatient with Heng Long, and the tweaking required, and EL mod is a lot of tweaking. If you don't like this sort of thing, you might just want to go with Tamiya.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
yellowshaker

Actually Dan, I don't agree with that statement...not completely anyway. The fact is, you could easily use the sounds that elmod comes with on the SD card and do no further tweaking to it. The things we were doing that made confusion was adding our own sounds i.e. commander's yelling orders, custom music sounds, etc.. Using the elmod sounds is very simple to do in stock form and changing them is equally easy to do from tank to tank.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
yellowshaker

BTW here is some very detailed information on the full capabilities of elmod sound MODIFICATIONS. These are not needed, but it is possible to do this with some time and patience.
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...php?f=1&t=6161
Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: YHR

The DBC and ELMOD are not compatible. These are two different routes to go. EL-MOD now has the conversion hardware to let Tamiya owners experience user definable sounds as well. ElMod has streamlined their installation. Hardest part of EL mod is programming all the user definable sound, and it beocmes a hobby in itself.

There was an EL Mod thread a couple of months ago that had some really good programming information in it. Be cautious Mike. You grew impatinet with Heng Long, and the tweaking required, and EL mod is a lot of tweaking. If you don't like this sort of thing, you might just want to go with Tamiya.

THIS ANSWER above on your EL MOD questions,,, is not an answer to what you are asking about! This is why folks think that EL MOD is too much of a hasstle, it just not true anymore with the new system!

I am the Noth American distributor of EL MOD and have been for the last 3 years!

The New EL MOD is NOT hard to have the tank sounds you want! It is easy as 1,2, 3 and I can set it up for you if you would like!

Now if you want special sounds above and beyound the already large stock sound file that you get, 28 different tanks come stock with your Blaster IV. That take some work to do, but we can help you there too or do it for you!

In YHR deffence he has the older units....

The New EL MOD units PRO/ECO are plug and play, it even uses the HL dual 8 pin connector. goes to the HL turret like normal and the other side plugs right into the EL MOD board,, done!

I recommend a Hobby Radio with EL MOD and do not use the Heng long radio, its like putting 4 of those small spare tires on a Rolls Royce!

Eggman here is what you need to set up at tank to battle with!

ECO Version Thinktank drive board

Blaster IV with speaker

CSI IR combat interface Tamiya compatible

Then you will need a hobby radio

Thanks

Phil

RCTankWars.com

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True I have not installed the new system, but I still caution people. Why, because not everyone is an installer at heart. What seems simple to someone who has installed a few, is not the same as I guy who has never worked on one before. I just didn't want Mike to think he can simply buy an El Mod system, and be out customizing the heck of the sounds, because is is not that simple. There is a learning curve on a couple of pieces of software. None of it is that hard, but you do have to spend some time on it. Honestly Phil, some guys have no desire for this. You should know, you custom build set ups and move them out the door, so I think that is proof enough that electronics is not everyone's cup of tea. Ask yourself why you sell RTR DBC's. You and I both know how simple they are, but until you have put one together there is an intimidation factor.

I know eggman is frustrated with his Heng Longs , and likes what VS tanks offer. THis is an indication to me that maybe El Mod might not be his cup of tea. My comment were directed specifically to Mike, and not made as a general statement about El-Mod.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

I think once my work area is sorted out I'll be more at home tinkering around. I'm not a total stranger to electrical/electronic systems but I didn't want to get in over my head and end up blowing a wad on something that I couldn't make to work the way I wanted it to. I think I'll just get another DBC/DBU and leave it at that for now. I 'm not sure that I want to sink $300+ into my HL Pershing when that same money would get me 1/2 to a new Tamiya kit anyhow.

Mike