Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Panther G turret Rotation overtravel.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panther G turret Rotation overtravel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
204sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther G turret Rotation overtravel.

Friends, I`ve never taken note of the turret overshoot when I operate the Panther at home after performing maintenance on it,but at the last NEAD battle
it became apparent that the turret was not stopping exactly where I wanted the barrel to point at.Later,at home I rotated the turret and I was surprised how
much the turret overshoots my intended aiming point.That is,after I release the left/right stick for turret rotation it continues to slew in it`s travel slightly.In fact, in order to center the barrel along the fore-aft axis of the tank is quite a chore,as it becomes a guessing game,with the barrel overtraveling past my desired point.I`ve been an rc`er for years,but all my flying systems or boat systems have used servos,and they stay put where you aim them.
Therefore,does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how I might dampen the slew speed or rotation overtavel of the turret so that when the stick
is released the motor that drives the turret stops.Or is it an inertia problem I`m seeing.My KV-1 doesn`t have this problem,but then again the gun barrel
is much shorter.Any suggestions short of converting the Heng Long system to a custom radio set-up would be appreciated.

Charlie
Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Panther G turret Rotation overtravel.

Try slowing down the speed of the motor. I add a big inline resistor to reduce the voltage to the turret motor. This reduces the speed, making it easier to aim. I think the HL turret rotation on a WWII is too fast stock, and that was my reason for going this route. It should however also help the aiming issue you are having. This video shows the slowed turret rotation on a Heng Long G, and you see no over run

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5r4R6Gpjzs[/youtube]
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
CHIEFSONN

I hear this mentioned a lot,This is a restored panther g from Koblenz Germany,the turret does not take long to travel in either direction. and if you have not seen this video enjoy,there are quit a few.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f0JdTW3rUE
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
YHR

Yes I have seen that video before. One of my favorites. Looks like the turret speed is faster then mine but slower then stock. A little less resistance should fix that, or possibly a 5 volt regulated power supply to the turret motor.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM
CHIEFSONN

YHY you did a fine job on the heng long Panther. ? You are using the rx 18 with a sound card purchased from 123 electronics using the sounds of a maybuch engine with a stock heng long IR sensor along with the dbc .what are you using to get the recoil on the main gun. what did this coast to modify.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea a resistor should slow it down making it easy to point in the direction you need it to go.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
YHR

The recoil is a modifed Heng long recoil, super cheap and effective.

Extra on this tank

Mato 3:1 gears $80
Metal tracks $90
DBC $55
Modified IR sensor $15+ $4
3 sound cards one for engine, one for cannon, and a dual anolog for hit and death sounds. $36

So $281 for extras, but really the metal tracks are not required, so you could have a good sounding Tamiya compatible IR battling tank, for an extra $191

Dan
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Capt.Canuck

Nice work Dan, looks and sounds great. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
CHIEFSONN

Dose the heng long ir version panther g come with a recoil as did my stug, The reason that I'm asking is that I have one that shoots, I much prefer the stock hl ir over the shooters but this one i got for a good price. Thanks Dan for your previous reply.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
YHR

Yes I think All IR tanks come with recoil. It does need to be modifed, but works good when it is.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
204sailor

Thanks Dan and Steve. I did as you both suggested and installed a resistor in series with the red wire (power lead)
that goes to the turret rotation motor.I started out using a 47 ohm resistor (no turret movement ), then a 20 ohm
resistor ( very realistic slow rotation,but not enough power to overcome the reverse switch when you hit overtravel), and finally settled on a 16 ohm resistor which gave me enough torque to trip the reverse switch at overtravel and yet
rotates the turret nicely and with noor minimum overtavel.Now when I release the joystick the turret stops where I want it to. You guys are what makes this forum aterrific knowledge base.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great glad it worked out for you Charlie!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
YHR

Hey Charlie. It feels good to help other tankers solve issues they may be having. Glad I could offer some help.