Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tigers in the Garden

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tigers in the Garden

I shot a short film today in the garden while the weather had warmed after the snow and rain to a mere -3 with a small amount of frost on the ground this works better with the scale than snow the film is in black and white to give some age and feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUGM6njKVk
Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tigers in the Garden

Great tank. Sound is really nice.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

[X(] THAT THINGS A BEAST!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a work of art brother! Amazing in every way!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

BRAVO! Very nice. Thank you for letting us see that.

Some of the frames from that film could pass for historical pix.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As usual your attention to detail is impeccable! It is the envy of every... shall we say rivetcounter in the community!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
modeltank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Tiger I's engine sound is by far the best, even better than Tamiya's!!!!

What sound system are you using?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one Le Rivetcounter! The smoker looks even more authentic, with the stated temp of -3.

I'm a bit surprised to see the recoil action is similar to the Tamiya recoil, as in the barrel travels slowly in, then slowly back out. I thought at 1/6 scale, it might move more rapidly inward, then slowly return (like the film footage of the real Tigers when firing). The whole gun barrel raises upwards a bit when it slides in, are you sure everything is in proper alignment with your recoil mechanism Herr Rivetcounter? I was expecting flawless, perfectly aligned gun barrel travel from your tank, due to your tendency to be a perfectionist and a counter of all things that have been finely riveted.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 AM
rivetcounter

Thanks for the feedback though I feel with another person filming things could have been much improved.
The sound system is from Thomas Benidini TBS5 the recording is from the Bovington Tiger’

RESA, the recoil is made with an ordinary servo and I agree it’s far too slow in the recoil this could be improved with a digital servo I believe these are faster and have more torque it’s on the to do list.

The gun elevation is controlled via another servo and may have some play in the linkage on a real German tank all guns were barrel heavy and when knocked out it was common to see the gun fully depressed so as the gun is recoiling it becomes breach heavy causing the gun to rise slightly I have no idea if this is the same on a real Tiger, when the tank is moving the gun rocks slightly up and down this is the same as the real thing owing to the mass of the gun the only way to stop this was to use the internal travel lock this I don’t have in the model
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Thanks for the feedback though I feel with another person filming things could have been much improved.
The sound system is from Thomas Benidini TBS5 the recording is from the Bovington Tiger’

RESA, the recoil is made with an ordinary servo and I agree it’s far too slow in the recoil this could be improved with a digital servo I believe these are faster and have more torque it’s on the to do list.

The gun elevation is controlled via another servo and may have some play in the linkage on a real German tank all guns were barrel heavy and when knocked out it was common to see the gun fully depressed so as the gun is recoiling it becomes breach heavy causing the gun to rise slightly I have no idea if this is the same on a real Tiger, when the tank is moving the gun rocks slightly up and down this is the same as the real thing owing to the mass of the gun the only way to stop this was to use the internal travel lock this I don’t have in the model
Hi Riv,

That tank looks fantastic. I liked the smoke very much. I do quite a bit of video from the commander's hatch like you did and I always hated the main gun wobbling around. You don't notice it as much in most videos but the commander's perspective really brings out that wobble. I resolved this on most of my tanks by installing a square foam block under the barrel on some applications at the pivot point (JP and my JT etc..). It doesn't work on all tanks and some require a large piece of foam between the rear of the recoil and the top of the turret. I also tightened up the linkages on the elevations units to eliminate as much slop and gaps as possible. The grey foam from the Tamiya TBU package works very well. I hope this may help you out.
Bob
Old 12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
rivetcounter

Bob, the thing is once a large gun is released from its travel lock the laws of physics take over so as the real gun was muzzle heavy it would move up and down as it moved, a few years ago I was lucky enough to spend a few hours in a Centurion MBT and once the gun was unlocked I was told to stay away from the breech I was in the loaders position and the owner took up the gunners position once the tank started moving the gun was traveling the full range of movement so I jumped out of the loaders hatch and sat in the commanders seat as it was much safer especially as the breach would have crushed anything that got in its way so comparing the 105mm gun from a Centurion I see little difference to either an 88 or a 75 mm gun to me having seen the real thing it looks more realistic though the Tamiya guns do tend to move far too much not having any balance to them at all
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Flyn Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking and sounding Tiger!