Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Grants?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Spitvalve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grants?

Back when Mato was in the process of releasing the Sherman, there was lots of buzz about the next possible model(s) to be released based on that chassis. I guess this is up Swathdiver's alley of insight, but do you know if plans for additional versions are still in the works, or has the lame economy put the brakes on development? I was really hoping for a Grant, or Lee but nothing in the news lately.

Any updates, rumours, wild speculation?

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Grants?

I thought the IR sherman would come out first.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love a Lee tank and as far as the IR Sherman ,I think thats dead , Its been over a year and most every one who wanted IR have put it in already.
I think they dropped a ball on this one. All it would take is a new top and bang you have a Grant.
Does any one make a Lee / Grant kit that you can put on the Sherman lower hull ???
Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
pattoncommander

They seem to have everything locked up in a secret box. I have been buying parts from Mato for conversions and each time, I have inquired about other model parts, specifying M-10, M-3 Medium etc, but have yet to recieve any response at all. With all the sales they have had on the Sherman, it would be fair to assume they would pick up on the business and keep going....but maybe the production bosses are all Chinese or work for Tamiya.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Captain Action

I would love a Lee tank and as far as the IR Sherman ,I think thats dead , Its been over a year and most every one who wanted IR have put it in already.
I think they dropped a ball on this one. All it would take is a new top and bang you have a Grant.
Does any one make a Lee / Grant kit that you can put on the Sherman lower hull ???
~~~~~~~~~~

I came sorta close, but no cigar! A few years ago I did a static Lee.....but it was for me, not for production. Then I got 2 lower VVSS hulls from Phil with the idea to R/C it. I think I could do it without too much work. I am amazed with how close the dimensions of my topworks fits the lower VVSS hull. I finally got something right. Usually I measure twice, cut once, and then measure a third time and cut again. I will need to build a new three piece bolted tranny cover. The track pattern of the VVSS will not be accurate, but I can live with that. I also made a Grant turret for it but there are other differences between the US/British variaions that would have to be interchangeable as well. I may finally get around to doing the conversion of this thing. LuLuBelle from Bogart's Sahara may finally see the light of day!

Rex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54524.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1532348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67834.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1532349  
Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
swathdiver

Hope and Change put the brakes on further releases. However, now that the adults are in charge of the checkbook the economy should show signs of life again. Let's revisit this most important subject again at the end of the first quarter next year.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Spitvalve

Thanks Swathdiver. That's good to hear that there are still some embers burning on this. You can only release so many warmed over King Tigers and Shermans. Something early war, quasi-British, and ripe for detailing would go along way towards opening up wallets. Please keep us updated!

Stunning work as usual Rex. It must look great beside your Italian vehicles.

Mike.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
DirtyBird69

wow...that's crazy cool...personally I hate Shermans but a Grant would be soooo coool...fantastic work!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 PM
swathdiver

I had put out an informal poll on what tankers would like to see next. It was a toss up between a Firefly and the M10 GMC. Following those two was the M3 Lee and Jumbo Sherman. During development I designed over twenty different variations of the Sherman which would keep modellers busy for years!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to see an M-10. Or even an all metal Sherman with working vvss.